PDA

View Full Version : The Tips and Tricks Thread (home remedies to save $$$)

Monster
03-16-2008, 08:44 AM
I thought i would start a thread so that we can all share any little tips and or tricks we have to save money when it comes to our equipment... i got the idea after reading this post.

that's basically what i do, i unscrew the post from the body, thread a washer bigger than the strap hole on to the screw, thread the screw washer strap post assembly through the strap and screw it back in

that idea above is allot cheaper then buying a locking strap. or at least a good remedy until you can save money to get a good locking one..

so with that in mind feel free to share any little tips and or tricks you have to help all of us save a few bits of $$$... any kind of tips and tricks weather it be for guitars, amps, pedals, anything to help out....

(not tips in tricks on how to play guitar, only tips and tricks of things you do to save money buy making your own and ways to fix things allot less)

floydmoline
03-16-2008, 05:49 PM
sounds like a good idea, lol i'm full of money saving ideas....... but most of them are not of high quality, and or slightly dangerous LOL

Monster
03-18-2008, 12:29 PM
sounds like a good idea, lol i'm full of money saving ideas....... but most of them are not of high quality, and or slightly dangerous LOL

same here. i find ways to save money but some might not be safe....lol

floydmoline
03-18-2008, 07:09 PM
like building your own speaker cabinet to save 50 bucks....... then you realise how dangerous saws really are LOL

Monster
03-19-2008, 06:06 AM
like building your own speaker cabinet to save 50 bucks....... then you realise how dangerous saws really are LOL

i hope you have all your fingers...... lol..

i plan on going up in attic today to look for speakers... rainy day a good day...lol :2thumbups:

floydmoline
03-19-2008, 08:20 AM
i got a pair of celestions to stick in it, only cost me watching my cousins son 6 times...... not a bad trade :-D

jeffreyliu838
03-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Who needs production fret board cleaner when you've got a wire brush and lemon oil?

MrSandMan
03-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Who needs production fret board cleaner when you've got a wire brush and lemon oil?

+1

floydmoline
03-19-2008, 08:50 PM
i don't know about the wire brush though lol i'd prolly use something a little less rigid

Monster
03-20-2008, 06:22 AM
thats what i use..... :2thumbups:

floydmoline
03-21-2008, 01:18 AM
gotta create some killer scratches..... i would think a tooth brush, or Q-tip would be sufficient

Monster
03-21-2008, 11:19 AM
not a heavy duty wire brush, they have some wire brush but the wire that dont not hurt the board at all. and cleans the grutt out real good..

floydmoline
03-22-2008, 12:47 AM
:-O ^^^ isopropyl alcohol makes a great cheap string cleaner

Monster
03-31-2008, 01:41 PM
:-O ^^^ isopropyl alcohol makes a great cheap string cleaner

never thought about trying that i will try that now one of my guitars... great tip...

Brian Krashpad
04-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Am assuming everyone knows how to fix a pulled-out strap pin, but just in case anyone doesn't, it's easy. Take a couple wooden toothpicks or matchsticks (if you use the latter, obviously break off the lightable tip!) broken off to the depth of the hole, put them in the pin hole, pour in a little bit of wood glue (white Elmer's-type glue is fine), then screw the strap pin back in , cleaning up any glue that squeezes out with a wet paper towel or cloth.

Ludwig
04-05-2008, 12:17 PM
I used to play with a bass player that would boil his strings from time to time instead of replacing them. Seemed to work fine.

Brian Krashpad
04-06-2008, 08:38 PM
I used to play with a bass player that would boil his strings from time to time instead of replacing them. Seemed to work fine.

I've heard of thatr. But bass strings last for years, seems like it's just easier to put on a new set when one breaks.

characterzero
04-06-2008, 08:44 PM
^ Yeah, I usually just let my bass strings keep going till one snaps. They're meant to last a long time. My tip would be instead of buying foot switches with pedals and amps, try making your own. They're relatively easy to make, and usually cheaper.

characterzero
04-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Also, as another thread mentioned metal washers work as a great inexpensive alternative to strap locks.

Redline68
04-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Another strap lock alternative........the red rubber washers off of a bottle of Grolsch beer. Just slip them on after the strap is installed normally. I'm sure they're not as foolproof as the metal washer method, but they're easy and come with a bottle of beer.

floydmoline
04-25-2008, 11:09 AM
far better than my metal washer idea..... specially since you'll be shitfaced enough to laugh when your guitar hits the floor :-D hehehe

fireman257
08-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Well I am going to have to get some strap locks I didn't think I would ever need them and the last gig we plays I was doing something with my cable and both sides of my strap came off I caught it at about 4 inches from the ground I was worried all night after that lol didn't happen again though but I am sure it will later so yep time for them locks or washers lol one of the 2 I cant use the beer bottle ones I don't like beer and Captain Morgan don't have them lol.

MrSandMan
08-27-2008, 12:49 PM
linseed oil on the neck for every restring job. Also check your tuning peg nuts are tight and check for loose screws when doing a restring. :bowz:

ninja636
08-27-2008, 09:09 PM
I use good ole' spit to clean the gunk off my frets,fretboard, and basically everywhere on my axe. For the really tough caked on gunk, I use naptha(zippo lighter fluid). Then use lemon oil rightr after to re- "wet" the wood. When I'm setting intonation or doing some other maintenence on my axe where I have to loosen all the strings, I use popsicle sticks to hold my Floyd up from being pulled into the recess by the springs. If you stack them, they'll hold. Instead of paying 14 bucks for a little bitty bottle of "Nut Sauce", I use mineral oil to lube the nut and rollers on my bridge, it helps to make your tuning a lot more "stable", especially with a tremelo. Before doing this I use to break strings even when tuning down. Graphite works really good too(think pencil lead). Mineral oil can also be used(sparingly) to wipe your strings down with. Look at the main ingredient for "Fast Fret".

Edit: You can also use the mineral oil to play a joke on your drummer or bass player, just pour a good dose of it in his/her drink, it's tastless and odorless. Makes a GREAT laxative, as a matter of fact, thats what it is! :biggrin:

bleachpunk87
02-03-2011, 02:58 PM

a wire brush will destroy your frets. take a business card or one of the plastic business card shaped calenders you get for free from churches, take an exacto knife and cut out the shape of a fret. then get som #0000 steel wool and you've got your very own fret polisher.

BUY A SOLDERING IRON/ SOLDERING GUN
this will save money from having to pay techs to:
swap out pickups
wire pots /switches
broken ground wires
input jack
pre amps
acoustic EQ's

beartronical
01-07-2013, 10:14 AM
a hard bristle tooth brush should work better than a wire brush. i always use lemon oil on my necks, and i clean them every time i change the strings.

mmcquain
01-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Here's one that many of you already know but I post it for any newbies...

If you strap button screw seems loose (i.e., the hole in the guitar body is "stripped") or if you're putting on a new set of strap locks that use a thinner screw than the original one that came with the guitar, you can save the cost of taking the guitar to a professional luthier to fix by following these simple steps:

Get a wooden "farmers" match stick
Put some wood glue on it (don't over do it or you'll have a mess) and use it to plug the screw hole (the match should fit snuggly into the hole)
Cut off the match so that it is flush with the body (i.e., trim the part sticking out - this should be the "blue tip" end of the match)
Let the glue dry and "set up" (usually an hour is plenty of time)
Now install the new strap locks and thread its new (thinner) screw carefully into the plugged hole and you should have a solid, snug set!

LOL - I just saw that Brian beat me to it on this tip!