Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Guitar Technique & Exercises
Reload this Page Practicing.. how do you do it?
Guitar Technique & Exercises Discuss music theory, writing, composition and improvising in here

Practicing.. how do you do it?
Old
  (#1)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default Practicing.. how do you do it? - 05-18-2008, 07:51 AM

Do you do scale runs, and chord progressions, or just noodle? I do the latter of the 2. If there's some new scale or mode I want to learn I learn the fingering, and then just start noodling around with it. I can't sit there and just do scale runs and chord fingerings. Too boring. Also, do you ever get days when you just don't want too play/practice? How do you get inspired to pick up your guitar on those days? I didn't even look at my guitar yesterday, until like 1am. Then I just sat there for like an hour looking at it(listening to music) before I finally played a little(like 30 minutes). I'm just trying to get ideas for different practicing techniques. I'm starting to feel a little stale, and uninspired. Really, I guess I'm getting into a rut, cause I keep practicing, and playing the same crap everyday. Thanks for any ideas to help.

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Re: Practicing.. how do you do it?
Old
  (#2)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Practicing.. how do you do it? - 05-18-2008, 04:19 PM

Neither.

Honestly, I practice at band rehearsals and not really otherwise. I may pick up a guitar between rehearsals and play something, or work on writing a new song, but not really "practicing" n the sense of trying to learn a new technique or perfect an old one. At band practice we run through the songs. Usually in the order they're played. Maybe work on arranging a new one.

That's it. I'm old and set in my ways. I know how to do what I need to do to play the original material done in the bands I'm in. I'm not really interested in learning other techniques that would only be necessary to cover other peoples' songs or to play genres I'm not interested in playing.

Old
  (#3)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Practicing.. how do you do it? - 05-18-2008, 06:43 PM

If I could get out and drive somewhere, that's what I'd do too. Right now I can't get my license cause of a vision problem, hopefully thats going to get corrected when I go to Emory in July. So right now I have to bum rides and wait around for someone to be able to drive me and my gear to someones house to jam. I live so far out in the boonies, no one wants to come here .

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Old
  (#4)
n00b!
wolfsbane67 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Practicing.. how do you do it? - 05-10-2009, 08:50 AM

The practice routine can get tough. I was in an all original band quite a ways back and its true, you dont have to really practice technique as much as you would if your in a cover band in order to play all the different styles you run into doing that and be able to play correctly every song your covering. What it really comes down to is having some kind of routine especially with a metronome because that way you can really guage your progress and speed if thats what your looking for. For 99% of players its the pick hand that needs all the work. A while back I got a book from Troy Stetina called "speed mechanics for lead guitar" and it has a good set up of patterns and exersizes to help "break" your pick hand as well as keeping the left hand trained with all kinds of patterns and scales. Most players will tell you that using a metronome will help quite a bit. All you need is 30 to 60 minutes a day of nonstop practice! But thats nonstop.

Old
  (#5)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Practicing.. how do you do it? - 05-16-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsbane67

The practice routine can get tough. I was in an all original band quite a ways back and its true, you dont have to really practice technique as much as you would if your in a cover band in order to play all the different styles you run into doing that and be able to play correctly every song your covering. What it really comes down to is having some kind of routine especially with a metronome because that way you can really guage your progress and speed if thats what your looking for. For 99% of players its the pick hand that needs all the work. A while back I got a book from Troy Stetina called "speed mechanics for lead guitar" and it has a good set up of patterns and exersizes to help "break" your pick hand as well as keeping the left hand trained with all kinds of patterns and scales. Most players will tell you that using a metronome will help quite a bit. All you need is 30 to 60 minutes a day of nonstop practice! But thats nonstop.
Awesome post bro, I use to practice hours daily back ehn I was in high school... it's all I would do after school. Hell, I think my parents were worried about me because I wasn't doing kid stuff.

But after I got older and started thinking about girls and cars and parties, I drifted away from guitar. Now I don't have a band and don't play much.... and it shows.

Best advice in the world is practice and learn new technique.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#6)
n00b!
Jake is on a distinguished road

Default 05-10-2010, 08:35 AM

well i write my own songs so i'm either playing one of my songs or writing one, it can take me from 1 minute to 6 monthes to write a song, but i write a lot at the same time

Old
  (#7)
n00b!
jamesdikhi is on a distinguished road

Default 06-06-2011, 05:35 AM

I do practice everyday, with my trainer and then i used to search guitar lessons and videos.

Old
  (#8)
n00b!
InstantGuitarist is on a distinguished road

Default 09-27-2011, 04:24 PM

@ninja636 I can understand your dilemma and know how you've got to dig deep sometimes to get a session in. I wrote a post with 5 practice tips for beginners last month. Like @wolfsbane67 mentioned: 30-60 minutes of solid practicing per day is sufficient, as long as you're consistent with that time each day.

A specific tip from my post: Play hardest scale or tune first. Hope this and the other tips can be of some help. Cheers!

Old
  (#9)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default 03-14-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantGuitarist View Post
@ninja636 I can understand your dilemma and know how you've got to dig deep sometimes to get a session in. I wrote a post with 5 practice tips for beginners last month. Like @wolfsbane67 mentioned: 30-60 minutes of solid practicing per day is sufficient, as long as you're consistent with that time each day.

A specific tip from my post: Play hardest scale or tune first. Hope this and the other tips can be of some help. Cheers!

I removed your link because you're not contributing to the forums.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#10)
n00b!
Rufa is on a distinguished road

Default 09-27-2019, 07:31 AM

I think it is really important to have a plan/structure. I had the same issue. I looked up on the web a while ago and found this article which is pretty much what I follow now as a guide. It might help you too. Good luck. https://www.doremistudios.com.au/tips-for-practicing/