Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Gear > Drums & Percussion
Reload this Page An Interview With Drummer Mykill Mike Aresco

An Interview With Drummer Mykill Mike Aresco
Old
  (#1)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default An Interview With Drummer Mykill Mike Aresco - 10-13-2007, 10:25 PM

Tribute bands usually play the music of a certain to get people through the door to see the bands OWN songs thrown in between the artist of tribute. Since December 2004, I have been watching one band in particular, a Slayer tribute act. Not once, has this band added their own music to their set list. NOT ONCE. When a fan of a band (particularly Slayer) is out on the town checking out live entertainment, they what to see what they are paying for, a tribute. Not a little of this and a little of that. So, do they have their own songs? According to the drummer of the band, yes. Dead Skin Mask is the most accurate Slayer tribute band I have ever seen. Monster drum kit, stacks of amps, and most important, the ability to convey the music through that equipment. That is what really counts. There is no Slayer act out there better than Dead Skin Mask, well except for the metal masters themselves. To date I have checked out a handful of them, since I have lived all around the USA. I have contacted the drummer of the band, to get the inside info on the Dead Skin Mask project and the progress of their original music as well as the scoop on what he is up to.
Slayer Girl: So Dead Skin Mask isnt dead!
Mykill: (Laugh) Nah! We are around. There are a lot of different things Im doing. Sometimes one is put on hold for a bit. But, with exception of one in particular, I really enjoy my bands.
SG: Which one do you not?
M: Hahaha! I .. uhh.. Yup!
SG: So I take it you dont like love songs?
M: No, not really. There is what I listen to. What I buy and what I compose. All 3 are VERY different. My CD collection would make you think Im schizophrenic.
SG: So you must practice a lot?
M: ahhll, mostly the only time I play is when we practice or play a show. The way my life is situated right now, does not really allow me to. When I need to write something, I pretty much compose it in my head, and am fortunate enough to be able to play my thoughts. Yea, it takes a run through or so, but not much more than that. I recall a time when what I would play in my head was way more difficult than I could actually do. I am glad that I have been able to develop the skills, in actual ability, to be able to do that. Real glad.
SG: What do you do to get ready before a live performance?
M: I try to get my hands on as much coffee as I can! (laugh) Usually that is difficult, though. I think we will have to add fresh coffee to our rider! I stretch a bit, do some little things to get the blood flowin. Usually the pre-show nerves and adrenalin are enough for that.
SG: So no pre-show rituals or superstitious activities?
M: Of course, blood drinking and we all talk in 3 word sentences.
SG: Really?!
M: No. Im kidding. How are you recording this anyway?
SG: I have a receiver-mounted microphone that goes to a micro cassette. A suction cup holds it to the earpiece and it picks up both ends of the conversation.
M: Ahh.
SG: So how many songs are played at sound check?
Mlaugh) None! There are many factors that prevent it. Most of the time, it is because of the lame-assed bands ahead of us. They all have to COMPLETELY disassemble their sh*t on the stage. F*cking losers. There are so many reasons, it is pathetic.
SG: Who is the biggest name you have shared the stage with?
M: Biggest to me, or the biggest name?
SG: Both.
M: Well to the general public, the biggest names would be Judas Priest, Budgie, and George Lynch. There are a few more, but I dont want to be obnoxious. To me, though, it has to be Fear Factory and Exodus. Once again, there are more, but I will stop there.SG: What band(s) did you do that with?
M: (silence)
SG: Damn!
M: Alrighty!
SG: So it will be heavy, musically?
M: You could say that.
SG: I see in all you interviews with other people talk of your drum set. You seem to love talking about your stuff. What are you using?
M: And oh how I do. I am using the best. Just like when I first started back when I was 12 or 13. But today, it is on a lager scale. The drums I use are the strongest I have EVER seen. TAMA, of course. I have somewhat older ones. The toms are a combination of older ROCKSTAR DX, and newer SWINGSTARs. My Kicks are ROCKSTAR PRO. Also a bit older. The pedals I use vary from time to time. Mostly I use my HP-25s. I believe they are called FLEXIFLYER. Other times I use modified IRON COBRA JRs. I have 2 18X22 SWINGSTAR kicks still in the boxes. I just have to replace my older toms with the same sizes of newer ones. I dont need to, but I do want to. My gear is fine as is, but new is good! So I have, right now, 2 26 kicks, 2 MTH 100s, 1 MTH 900, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15 mounted toms and a 16 floor. Maple 3.5 X 14 piccolo snare.
Cymbals are also top notch, especially. PAISTE. I use a combination of almost series line they came out with! RUDE, 2002, 3000, SIGNATURE, 2000, DIMENSIONS, ALPHA, PST 3, PST 5, 802, 502s (new and older), 2000 COLORSOUND. I think that is all. If I keep going, I will rattle off all the sizes of each and every one!
SG: NA, NA, NA.
M: Okay, the Sticks are Pellwood 2B nylon. With VATER stick and finger tape.
SG: You wear gloves, too.
M: Yeah.
SG: I see! Are you serious about your projects?
M: Well, very. I will take what talent, or whatever you want to call it, as far as Im allowed to, whatever that means.
SG: Whom do you admire, or, who influenced you?
M: DAM! No short answers for these 2! Shhhewww, where do I start? Growing up, it was Ron Bushy. My parents had 2 Iron Butterfly records I adored. Ron Tutt from Elvis fame caught my ear as well. I heard a solo he did way back when. WOW!!! During that time The Police were pretty popular. Stewart Copeland was cool. I liked his riffs. Well, I still do. Around then I was finding Alex Van Halen. I focused on him for years. As a younger kid, he was the most sought after in my little world. I really dug his work. You have to remember, ALL these drummers, I really admire. There is no order to which are better or not. All are so different, musically, that this is in no way a comparison.
SG: OKAY, OKAY!
M: I just want to stress that fact, thats all. Later I got into heavier music. Drummers like Dave Lombardo, Louie Clemente, Charlie Benante, Sid Falck, Paul Bostaph, Raymond Herrera, Scott Travis. Wow, I just realized that most if not all use TAMA and or PAISTE! Sh*t, coincidence? Hmm. All of them are great drummers, it only makes sense that they would also use great gear as well.
SG: So sharing the stage with JP must have been an honor and a thrill?
M: Those 2 words dont even express what I feel when I recollect that show! (laughs)
SG: What is this project I saw on the Lost Soul Forum?
M: Oh yeah, Lost Soul was my old band from back in Connecticut. The guitar player (Bryan Reilly) and I are collaborating again. It, as of yet, is just in a real beginning phase. He is putting together some riffs, and I have some drum ideas I need to record and e-mail him. I dont know exactly what to expect with this type of arrangement. Bryan (Reilly) is great, so as for quality of the material, I am not concerned at all. It will be very good, with out a doubt. So Bryan and I are going to send ideas to one and other, and see what pops up.(SLAYER GIRL UPDATE)
** Mike has moved back to Connecticut and is now working with Bryan Reilly ***
SG: Sorry to cut you off, but wont that be expensive and extremely time-consuming?
M: In todays digital age, it is a lot easier and quicker than one would think. The worst part is writing the music. The easy part is recording and transferring files via FTP or e-mail. It is instantaneous. No more waiting for an ADAT tape or cassette through the Postal System. Dont get me wrong. I love ADATS. That is what I record everything on. I will transfer the 8 tracks to the computer then convert them to a WAV or MP3 for FTP.
SG: Hows it going?
M: Software and computer glitches have delayed this way more than necessary. Im very optimistic, though. Bryan is amazing on the geetar. Your phone bill is gonna kill you for this conversation!
SG: Nah, it is a cell and after 7pm.
M: ...alright.
SG: I guess this will be my last one. Im sure you are busy
M: (sarcastically) OH YEAH, SURE AM!!!!
SG: Anyway, what is the largest group you have played for at one time?
M: Something close to 2,500. A bit less or bit more. Around there.
A very entertain interview. Most musicians I interview to are way too serious. Some act as if they are out to cure the world of its ails. RIGHT!
Later,
SLAYER GIRL.

Author Bio
I'm a fan of fast heavy music! A big thanks to Mike for his time and cooperation. I truly appreciate it.
Check out some of his sites:

www.mykill.net
www.lostsoulband.com
www.deadskinmask.com

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Re: An Interview With Drummer Mykill Mike Aresco
Old
  (#2)
n00b!
lokeshgarg is on a distinguished road

Default Re: An Interview With Drummer Mykill Mike Aresco - 01-12-2008, 04:42 PM

Dead Skin Mask has got to be awesome for varied reasons....

firstly and the top most...they dont annoy the audience with their self comps during performances

and secondly by most importantly....they cover slayer so brilliantly...

\m/ Dead Skin Mask..

Old
  (#3)
n00b!
siddle is on a distinguished road

Default 05-08-2011, 12:57 PM

Is this the same over here as well? http://guesswatchbandjoe.co.cc/artic...ly-of-Los.aspx

Interesting...

Absolute Steel— Steel building and carport kits with nationwide jobsite delivery. Easy DIY—America’s easiest to install building system. Watch the video & see for yourself.

Old
  (#4)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default 01-12-2012, 02:08 AM

Your link doesn't work. Slayer Girl performed the interview.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#5)
n00b!
katt is on a distinguished road

Default 11-11-2014, 01:10 AM

the louder the better i always say!!!

Old
  (#6)
n00b!
Anatolie is on a distinguished road

Default 09-07-2021, 04:35 AM

It is impossible to objectively select the best drummer of all time. When it comes to the subgnere mike is most famous for - prog metal- it is safe to say he is the most influential and quite possibly the most technically profficient of all drummers in that subgenre. But it is impossible to compare him to any of the great drummers in classic rock or jazz or any other genre.

He is most certainly one of the most technically profficient drummers to have ever played, but best he is certainly not, as there is no such thing as the best drummer.

Last edited by Anatolie; 02-22-2022 at 04:22 PM..