Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Gear > Live Gear & Recording Equipment
Reload this Page What is a good way to record with guitar for under $500
Live Gear & Recording Equipment General discussion about anything related to live sound and recording equipment. Tips & advice

What is a good way to record with guitar for under $500
Old
  (#1)
n00b!
skaterdylan101 is on a distinguished road

Default What is a good way to record with guitar for under $500 - 02-01-2009, 03:03 PM

I was wondering what a good way to record my guitar songs without going over around $500...or would the pods or the g-10 be good?

Re: What is a good way to record with guitar for under $500
Old
  (#2)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: What is a good way to record with guitar for under $500 - 02-01-2009, 03:10 PM

I managed to get good recordings out a VOX Tonelab (desktop) straight to the PC and using Audacity as the recorder/editor.

Line 6 is good too. Also check into the Line 6 Toneport.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#3)
cubis is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What is a good way to record with guitar for under $500 - 02-03-2009, 12:42 AM

yeah Audacity is freeware, and all you really need is a direct input box, which will convert your hi-z connection to lo-z, then you can plug it into your computer, or you can get a fairly cheap fairly decent audio interface, usb or firewire, and record from that

if you don't want to bother with the computer, get a multi-track recorder

if you want something small, there's the new TASCAM DP-004 Pocketstudio for $199 that will record guitar and vocals

there's also the Zoom H4 Handy Recorder, about $270, a portable recorder with a lot of features

or Fostex MR8 MKII 8-Track Digital Recorder, about $250

Old
  (#4)
crazy_guitar_man is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What is a good way to record with guitar for under $500 - 02-03-2009, 12:59 PM

i forget what model it is but i believe it is the rp 500 from digitech has inputs so that you can plug in.

http://gear-vault.com/classifieds <---------go there sell your gear or maybe find that one thing you have been looking for!!!!

Old
  (#5)
n00b!

Default Re: What is a good way to record with guitar for under $500 - 02-03-2009, 06:17 PM

out of those recording devices which one would you say is the best and also is audacity as good as the others?

Old
  (#6)
crazy_guitar_man is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What is a good way to record with guitar for under $500 - 02-03-2009, 06:33 PM

umm well i don't really know about some of the recording devices but i would say go check reviews on them...but as for audacity to me its the best for free haha but if you would want something that would give you really really really good quality then you might want something else, as a note i recorded some songs with just a microphone and put them on me and my friends myspace and they sounded fine

http://gear-vault.com/classifieds <---------go there sell your gear or maybe find that one thing you have been looking for!!!!

Old
  (#7)

Default Re: What is a good way to record with guitar for under $500 - 02-04-2009, 03:09 AM

yeah just get a usb audio interface, like the m-audio mobile pre (make sure it works for your operating system) and just record on audacity

audacity is fine for simple recordings. if you want to go better, you can buy a major DAW program like Sonar, Cubase, or Pro Tools, or Logic for the Mac

Old
  (#8)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: What is a good way to record with guitar for under $500 - 02-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Audacity rocks. And best of all, it's easy to use and it's free.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#9)

Default Re: What is a good way to record with guitar for under $500 - 02-04-2009, 01:20 PM

yeah, i will have to agree with that

i use audacity for pretty much all my recordings, except for one of my classes, Audio Technology II, where I need to use protools

Old
  (#10)
n00b!

Default Re: What is a good way to record with guitar for under $500 - 02-04-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubis
yeah just get a usb audio interface, like the m-audio mobile pre (make sure it works for your operating system) and just record on audacity

audacity is fine for simple recordings. if you want to go better, you can buy a major DAW program like Sonar, Cubase, or Pro Tools, or Logic for the Mac
those look like their good but they are prolly expensive