Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Welcome > The Pit
Reload this Page WTF is insurance for anyways!!!
The Pit General discussion - 18 and over recommended

WTF is insurance for anyways!!!
Old
  (#1)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default WTF is insurance for anyways!!! - 05-15-2008, 09:02 PM

I just recently had a bunch of stuff stolen out of my old house, while we were moving into our current house, some crackheads broke in and stole a bunch of gear from me(totalling about 4000 bucks) and some other electronic equipment(a computer, a couple of my wifes digital camera's, xbox 360, a 27" plasma moniter that went with the PC, a couple of my rc cars, nitro powered, not toys from radioshack, a microwave, and a dvd player. The check the adjuster cut us was RIDICULOUS!!! There's is no way in hell it'll cover replacing even a 4th of this stuff. Why do we pay for something thats supposed to protect us from a big financial loss, if it's not going to pay out when something does happen? I think insurance is the biggest SCAM in America!! I should consider myself lucky though, the dumbasses didn't even know that the keys to my motorcycle(2006 Ninja 636 Limited Edition) were in my guitar case, which was open, keys on top in plain sight, bike parked out front. If I find these guy's or girls, or whatever, they will know the meaning of hell on earth when I get through with them! Thanks for letting me rant, I feel a little better now.

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Re: WTF is insurance for anyways!!!
Old
  (#2)
Redline68 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: WTF is insurance for anyways!!! - 05-15-2008, 09:39 PM

I was robbed once as well and received only "depreciated" value. It was about 25% of replacement cost. They also wanted receipts for everything that was stolen.

Maybe you'll get lucky and the cops will get some of it back. Good luck.

Re: WTF is insurance for anyways!!!
Old
  (#3)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: WTF is insurance for anyways!!! - 05-15-2008, 10:51 PM

Ouch. Man, I'm sorry for your loss.

But just to put some equanimity to the sitch, SOMETIMES insurers will do you right.

5 or so years ago, I came in early to the office. Unlike what I usually do (stick my head under the sink and wash my hair), I decided to take a full shower.

Unfortunatley, I'd already been in my office and opened the window. In the 10 minutes it took me to take a shower, someone came in throught the window and stole my "office guitar" (a crappy MIK Squier 80's Strat), and stole out of one of my partner's offices a Hondo Explorer bass I'd lent him.

The theft was funny in itself. Right next to my Squier Strat was a much nicer Fernandes Native X they hadn't messed with. And in my partner's office they had stolen a crappy Hondo bass, when right next to it were two cased vintage Ovation acoustic-electrics. IN the office between mine and my partner's, my drummer's Rickenbacker lay untouched.

Anyhow, I called in the theft to the company's insurer. Now it was clear that my two stolen guitars were not there as part of my work for the company (a legal research firm). But anyhowthe insurer gave me $250 for those 2 guitars. I bought a really sweet brand new DeArmond M-72 with that money.

So, insurers don't always screw people.

JKust most of the time.