Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Gear > Amps
Reload this Page Help me decide! Which 2x12!?
Amps Amp and rig talk

Re: Help me decide! Which 2x12!?
Old
  (#11)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Help me decide! Which 2x12!? - 08-11-2008, 05:18 PM

What did the Splawn set you back, and how long did it take for you to get it? After reading about you getting one I visited their website, awesome. How 'bout some sound clips bro? Did you get any customizations with yours? I'm getting a lopoline 4x12 and loading it with Eminence Swamp Thangs, more bottom end than the Texas Heats(which I have 2 loaded in my Crate combo right now). I wonder how the Splawn would sound with those in D tuning.

Edit: What tubes do you have in it?

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Old
  (#12)
MatrixClaw is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to MatrixClaw Send a message via Yahoo to MatrixClaw  
Default Re: Help me decide! Which 2x12!? - 08-12-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja636
What did the Splawn set you back, and how long did it take for you to get it? After reading about you getting one I visited their website, awesome. How 'bout some sound clips bro? Did you get any customizations with yours? I'm getting a lopoline 4x12 and loading it with Eminence Swamp Thangs, more bottom end than the Texas Heats(which I have 2 loaded in my Crate combo right now). I wonder how the Splawn would sound with those in D tuning.

Edit: What tubes do you have in it?
I didn't order mine new. New there's an 8-10 week wait, costing $1950 or $2050 depending on the version you get, not including shipping. Their amps and cabs are fully customizable without an extra price tag.

Mine is all black with white piping and white control plate and grilles on the top and bottom, it doesn't have the plexi glass on the front like most of them do (which I think it looks ugly, but maybe that's just me ). Basically, it looks like an old Marshall, definitely a sleeper of an amp, looks killer with my 1960 cab, too bad I'm not too keen on the sound it produces with the G12T-75s

The one I have is the KT-77 version, but the old owner thought with the KT-77s, it had too much low-end so he put EL-34s in it. I can't imagine this thing having any more low-end than it does because it has a MASSIVE low-end, it was shaking things downstairs when my friend was playing it, with the volume on 2. The tubes in it are 4 Ruby EL34-BSTRs and all Shuguang 12AX7s in the preamp. Sounds awesome, very aggressive and tight sounding amp. The cleans on the amp are literally AMAZING, especially being an EL-34 amp.

If you decide to pick one up, I'd really recommend the EL-34/KT-77 version over the KT-88 one. You may find you like the KT-88s better, but the EL-34/KT-77 version can be easily modded to the KT-88 version by adding one resistor to the board, the KT-88 can not be modded to the EL-34/KT-77 version without much more modifications.

Randall RM4/Mesa 2:90
Ampeg VH-140C
Duncan Convertible

[COLOR=Gray]Marshall 1960
Genz Benz G-Flex
Lopo 2x12

Ibanez RG3120 Prestige
Jackson RR5
Edwards E-LP-92SD
Aria Nexter

[URL=http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MatrixClaw/blog/23970/][SIZE=5]Mesa/Boogie Price

Old
  (#13)

Default Re: Help me decide! Which 2x12!? - 08-12-2008, 10:53 PM

Thanks for the info!! Definately an amp I'll be looking into in the next year or so. Right now I'm just trying to get a halfstack at a cheap price to replace the V2 that was stolen from me. So for now I'll be getting a Bugera 333xl and lopoline 4x12 with Eminence Swamp Thang's loaded in it. I might do the Texas Heats though, I'm undecided right now. The Swamp Thangs will probably give the Bugera the bottom end it's missing in it's sound, don't know how they'd sound with the Splawn though.

Always scoop the mids!!

Old
  (#14)
MatrixClaw is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to MatrixClaw Send a message via Yahoo to MatrixClaw  
Default Re: Help me decide! Which 2x12!? - 08-13-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja636
Thanks for the info!! Definately an amp I'll be looking into in the next year or so. Right now I'm just trying to get a halfstack at a cheap price to replace the V2 that was stolen from me. So for now I'll be getting a Bugera 333xl and lopoline 4x12 with Eminence Swamp Thang's loaded in it. I might do the Texas Heats though, I'm undecided right now. The Swamp Thangs will probably give the Bugera the bottom end it's missing in it's sound, don't know how they'd sound with the Splawn though.
Cool, yeah I'd like to try the Swamp Thangs but there's no cabs that anyone carries around here that would have them in them to try.

I thought the Nitro sounded HORRIBLE with V30s, WAY too much crunchiness to it and I couldn't dial it out no matter how hard I tried. The Krankenstein cab with Texas Heats sounded huge with the Nitro and got rid of the high-end sizzle and fizz I don't like through my 1960.

I didn't know you could order the lopo 4x12s with speakers? On their website I only see 1x12s and 2x12, and only loaded with Texas Heats?

Randall RM4/Mesa 2:90
Ampeg VH-140C
Duncan Convertible

[COLOR=Gray]Marshall 1960
Genz Benz G-Flex
Lopo 2x12

Ibanez RG3120 Prestige
Jackson RR5
Edwards E-LP-92SD
Aria Nexter

[URL=http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MatrixClaw/blog/23970/][SIZE=5]Mesa/Boogie Price

Old
  (#15)

Default Re: Help me decide! Which 2x12!? - 08-13-2008, 05:31 PM

I'm ordering an empty cab, and the speakers from AMS or MF, then I can wire it however I want, stereo or mono with a output for another cab. If I wire in stereo I have to install a switch. You can send them your specs and they can do custom jobs too.

Always scoop the mids!!