Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Welcome > The Pit > Political Party
Reload this Page 24 illegal song downloads cost US woman 220,000 dollars
Political Party Share your thoughts on political and social issues.

24 illegal song downloads cost US woman 220,000 dollars
Old
  (#1)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default 24 illegal song downloads cost US woman 220,000 dollars - 10-05-2007, 07:44 AM

I don't agree with this and feel bad for this single mother.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/2007100...c3b52a1_1.html

Quote:
CHICAGO (AFP) - In the first US trial to challenge the illegal downloading of music on the Internet, a single mother from Minnesota was ordered Thursday to pay 220,000 dollars for sharing 24 songs online.

(Advertisement)
Jammie Thomas, 30, was the first among more than 26,000 people sued by the world's most powerful recording companies to refuse a settlement after being slapped with a lawsuit by the Recording Industry of America and six major music labels.

She turned down an offer to pay a few thousands dollars in fines and instead took the case to court.

Unlike some who insist on the right to share files over the Internet, Thomas says she was wrongfully targeted by SafeNet, a contractor employed by the recording industry to patrol the Internet for copyrighted material.

Her lawyer said earlier this week that she had racked up some 60,000 dollars in legal fees because she refused to be bullied.

And while Thomas insisted on the courthouse steps that she had never downloaded or uploaded music, her lawyer tried to convince jurors there was no way to prove who had uploaded songs on the Kazaa file sharing network.

A jury took just five hours to decide that evidence provided by the music labels showed otherwise and found Thomas guilty of copyright infringement, court records showed.

Thomas, an employee of the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe, an Indian tribe, was ordered to pay a 9,250-dollar fine for each of 24 shared songs cited in the case, including Godsmack's "Spiral," Destiny's Child's "Bills, Bills, Bills" and Sara McLachlan's "Building a Mystery."

It could have been a lot worse.

The fine could have reached 150,000 dollars a song if the jury had found "willful" copyright infringement.

Had the record companies sued her for all 1,702 songs found in the online folder the fine could have run in the millions.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Re: 24 illegal song downloads cost US woman 220,000 dollars
Old
  (#2)
Redline68 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 24 illegal song downloads cost US woman 220,000 dollars - 04-21-2008, 07:12 PM

Holy crap. That's alot of beans.

Old
  (#3)
characterzero is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 24 illegal song downloads cost US woman 220,000 dollars - 04-21-2008, 11:44 PM

$9,000 a song!? That really sucks, strange case for them to use to make an example of someone.

Old
  (#4)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: 24 illegal song downloads cost US woman 220,000 dollars - 04-22-2008, 02:58 AM

well i think anyone being prosocuted for file sharing is bogus...... my opinion and i am a musician, and if i had an album recorded and it was for ssale i would feel the same way..... i do have a recorded album, just not distributed by a major label... cause they suck :-D

stuff it....... then bake it.......