Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Gear > Amps
Reload this Page Monster Factory Amplification
Amps Amp and rig talk

Monster Factory Amplification
Old
  (#1)
jackal is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jackal  
Default Monster Factory Amplification - 02-18-2008, 08:21 PM

okay, now i can almost bet that no one here has a clue who monster factory is.. they have been my dirty little secret for a while but now i'll let that secret out.. Monster Factory is a very small family owned bussiness that makes top end amps, sort of a Krank style amp... My fav is SWAMP THANG. It's a mean looking crocodile skin Monster.. When you call write company the guy that answers is the owner and the guy that makes the amps.. lol thats how cool is that.. they fully customize there amp, there kind of simple structure like a krank, but have the top end of a marshall and big bottom end of a boogie..

Check it out http://www.monsterfactoryamps.com/

tell me what you think guys

Randall RM100LB (Lynch Box)
-Blackface mod
-SL+ mod
-Treadplate Mod(JF modded)
-XTC mod
Stiletto 4x12 Slant cab w/ Vintage 30's
Randall 2x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
GUITARS
ESP LTD Truckster
ESP LTD Viper 500S
Aria Pro II ZZ Custom Deluxe
'83 B.C Rich Bich NJ (Drop C)
Taylor 316CE Acoustic
Taylor 116CE (Drop A)

Re: Monster Factory Amplification
Old
  (#2)

Default Re: Monster Factory Amplification - 02-18-2008, 08:32 PM

This a a reply i got from Monster Factory on there amps.. enjoy, by the way Hoyt Harness that wrote me is the owner and guy that makes and tests the amps...

Hey JB -

Thanks for the inquiry! It's always cool to hear from the axe-wielders in the trenches.

The Swamp Thang is loaded with Eminence Swamp Thang speakers. You won't believe this, but that was a complete fluke. The amp was already named by the time I started searching for a suitable speaker and I had tentatively planned to use Celestion Vintage 30's. The problem with the V30's was they had a much stronger mid-range spike than I really wanted coming out of the amp. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Celestion fan and always will be, but in the end it's about the right tone for the job. Anyway, those Swamp Thang speakers had the response curve I wanted (very close to the V30 curve) and they had the mid-range smoothness I was after. With twice the power rating of the V30, the fact that Eminence designed them for that heavy American sound, and the irony of the name, it was a perfect match. In short, they rock in this cab and with this head. Period.

Do we ship to Canada? You bet. It's a little more expensive to send something from here to you, as you probably well know, and Canadian Customs can slow things down, but that's not a show stopper for us as long as you're aware of it ahead of time. Send me a zip code and I'll send you a shipping estimate. Be advised - this is a heavy half-stack - and I'm not just talking about the sound of it. The transformers alone are twice the size of any other amp in its class.

I took some time and listened to your music on your MySpace and here's my take on comparing the two amps. First off, tone is subjective and no two people will describe the same sound the same way. Knowing this, I'll try to be as factual as I can without saying, "Dude, my amp crushes the Mesa" or some other such nonsense. Statements like that really mean nothing. Anyway, here goes:

The Rectifier series amps are awesome tone machines for sure. I'm a big Mesa fan myself. Back in the 80's, a Seattle amp tech by the name of Mike Soldano finally broke into the manufacturing market with his flagship, the Super Lead Overdrive 100 (SLO100). The SLO was a high gain hard rock amp that immediately set the metal world on fire. Until that time, Marshall was the undisputed king of heavy rock and their JCM800 ruled. The funny thing is, Marshall didn't actually build a high gain amp until the 90's with the introduction of the JCM900 series and their decision to go this route was inspired by Soldano. Randall Smith of Mesa Engineering fame had been building high gain combos throughout the 70's, which were hotrodded versions of Fender's Blackface circuit. The SLO was an extremely modified version of the Fender Tweed Bassman/Marshall circuit and sounded differently. The amp world took notice and the result was Mesa's Rectifier series, Marshall's SL-X series, and Peavey's 5150 series. Each one of these was inspired and significantly influenced by the sound and design of the SLO100, yet they each have a unique character. The Swamp Thang is a direct descendant of all these amps and represents what I believe to be the best of all of them.

The Dual Rectifier has a heavy bottom end, strong midrange, and subdued highs. The overdrive character is smooth as compared to the more gravelly sound of the JCM800. The Swamp Thang has a heavy bottom and strong midrange, but it has a brighter top end, too. The Swamp Thang has more gain than a Dual Rectifier, but keep in mind that gain doesn't necessarily equal distortion and distortion doesn't necessarily require gain. Speaking of distortion, the Swamp Thang has much more of this on tap than the Mesa does - to the point of being unusable in my mind. Here's what I mean:

The overdrive channel of the preamp section has the potential to create mind altering distortion, as well as loads of noise. You simply can't get all the grind out of a tube amp without noise. With the gain knob maxed, the noise floor is the highest and using the footswitch to select the clean channel when you're not playing is a must. The amount of distortion at this level is more than any production amp I've heard. Heavy rock is the main style of music I design for, but I feel most comfortable with the gain knob around 12 o'clock on the Swamp Thang. Keep in mind that there are four tube gain stages in the preamp. On top of this, I designed the power amp to act as a fifth gain stage. Amps this big and powerful never allow the player to get into power amp distortion until you're way past the point of being too loud to be usable. Depending on how much drive you have dialed into the front end, you can get a healthy amount of power amp overdrive before you reach ear splitting levels. Maxing everything will put you in the realm of way too much distortion and way too much volume, to the point of being unusable. The reason I did that is so you'd know when you reach the point of getting all there is and there ain't no more, instead of maxing out a knob and wishing there really was more.

Production amp manufacturers like Mesa have to build for the bottom line, which is produce as many amps as the factory can muster, keep as many of them from coming back as possible, and keep the profit margin as wide as possible. I build each Monster amp by hand and by myself. I don't worry about the bottom line and I can afford to spend my personal time helping my customers achieve their own unique tone... which is why I spent so much time on this email.

I hope this helps you a little in your quest for tone. I love tube amps and I'm happy to help you whether you ever buy an amp from me or not. Keep on rockin' in a free world, JB, and be sure and let me know anything else you need. As for clips, I'll be recording and posting some demo vids of some of my amps on youtube soon, including the Swamp Thang. Keep checking back on our website (www.monsterfactoryamps.com) and our MySpace (www.myspace.com/monsterfactoryamps) and we'll make the announcement soon!

Take care!

Hoyt Harness
Monster Factory Amplification
www.monsterfactoryamps.com
www.myspace.com/monsterfactoryamps

-Blackface mod
-SL+ mod
-XTC mod
Randall 2x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
GUITARS
ESP LTD Truckster
ESP LTD Viper 500S
Taylor 316CE Acoustic
Taylor 116CE (Drop A)

Old
  (#3)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Monster Factory Amplification - 02-18-2008, 09:48 PM

You're right, I never heard of Monster Amps, but I really like what they are about. I would love to hear some clips, it does remind me much of Krank. You can tell he is dedicated and insightful... that's a good thing.

I wish they were closer to me, I'd love to go meet him and check out his amps!

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#4)

Default Re: Monster Factory Amplification - 02-18-2008, 11:10 PM

Yeah i was amazed because when you right a company you get that stock answer.. Dear Sir thankyou for writing, blah blah... and the never answer your question right, this guy nailed it and went even deeper, all my question was for him is how does his amp sound wise compare to say a boogie sound? and that was his answer, lol. seems like a great guy

-Blackface mod
-SL+ mod
-XTC mod
Randall 2x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
GUITARS
ESP LTD Truckster
ESP LTD Viper 500S
Taylor 316CE Acoustic
Taylor 116CE (Drop A)

Old
  (#5)
Put up or shut up!

Default Re: Monster Factory Amplification - 02-18-2008, 11:20 PM

Yeah, I get sick of the copy and paste "robot" replies. This guy proves he takes pride in his work.

Old
  (#6)
Monster is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to Monster  
Default Re: Monster Factory Amplification - 02-19-2008, 12:12 PM

hmmm i will have to check these out just for the fact name Monster......LOL

Old
  (#7)

Default Re: Monster Factory Amplification - 02-19-2008, 07:41 PM

yeah monter, lol He acctually makes amps disigned after real monster, so like the Vampyre, Hunchback, Jekyll-n-Hyde, and others. cool idea eh? and each with there own unique sound

-Blackface mod
-SL+ mod
-XTC mod
Randall 2x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
GUITARS
ESP LTD Truckster
ESP LTD Viper 500S
Taylor 316CE Acoustic
Taylor 116CE (Drop A)

Old
  (#8)
Put up or shut up!

Default Re: Monster Factory Amplification - 02-19-2008, 10:58 PM

Hey I read through his website and his email. I also checked out his Myspace. I was hoping that he could direct us to working bands using his amp. That'd be could if he donated a some amps to a few kick ass bands for myspace and networking exposure.

Old
  (#9)

Default Re: Monster Factory Amplification - 02-19-2008, 11:37 PM

I acctually wrote him again and asked just that same question.. do any bands use his amps? if so who? if not would he concider endorsing someone for exposure.

-Blackface mod
-SL+ mod
-XTC mod
Randall 2x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
GUITARS
ESP LTD Truckster
ESP LTD Viper 500S
Taylor 316CE Acoustic
Taylor 116CE (Drop A)

Old
  (#10)
Monster is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to Monster  
Default Re: Monster Factory Amplification - 02-20-2008, 06:56 AM

hah thats funny cause i also sent him a email asking if any famous bands use this amp..... plus a few other questions.....