Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Effects
Reload this Page Digitech RP 500
Effects Discuss effects and processors for electric guitar and bass

Digitech RP 500
Old
  (#1)
MetalMac is on a distinguished road

Default Digitech RP 500 - 11-28-2008, 11:26 PM

I just got one of these multi-effect processors and it is awesome! Every sound you can possibly want is in there. The DigiTech Whammy is in there, Delay, Chorus, Reverb, Overdrive, Distortion, Amp/Cab modeling, Flanger, Phaser, Octaver, Wah, Autowah, the list goes on and on. The thing I find cool about this thing is that you can turn off the amp/cab modeling and use it strictly as a stompbox. Just select what effects you want then engage them stompbox style. No tone coloration to your amp if you love the sound you get from it as is. I would highly recommend one of these to anyone who doesn't already have a mega pedalboard.

Re: Digitech RP 500
Old
  (#2)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Digitech RP 500 - 11-29-2008, 05:07 PM

Hell yeah brother. Great choice. so it blows the Line 6 away

Did you get a chance to try a Vox? I'd like to know your thoughts on RP500 vs Vox ToneLab

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#3)

Default Re: Digitech RP 500 - 11-30-2008, 02:00 AM

Oh man, I loved the Vox Tonelab LE too! That thing was great, don't get me wrong, but the RP 500 has A TON more options. It has easy outs for recording, headphones, MIDI control, the list just goes on and on. The Tonelab had a great sound and would have also been a good choice. The RP 500 lets you customize EVERYTHING. It also has 100 presets for people who want generic sound :lamez: I have already made 5 different custom settings. The thing I found the coolest about the RP 500 was that you can switch it into pedalboard mode, meaning you can have your sound setup for cleans, then just stomp on your distortion, your chorus, flanger, delay, etc. Or, if you already had a setup for a crunchy rhythm tone, you could hit the distortion to push you into a lead tone. I would say hands down the RP 500 was the best. you can't really do any better for 300 bucks.

Old
  (#4)

Default Re: Digitech RP 500 - 12-01-2008, 10:54 PM

Hey I do have a couple of questions though. Maybe it's just because I'm ignorant to connecting these things, but there's something strange going on that hopefully someone on here can help me with. When I plug in my RP 500 through my amp's input two strange things happen. First, when it's on the clean channel, if the treble knob is turned up past 8 o'clock there's an unbearable hissing noise and it sounds like there's video game music playing in the background noise. Second, when i switch to the lead channel, the same exact thing happens unless i turn the gain knob down to 2. I have no idea how to remedy that situation. Also, my amp has an effects send and return option. When I plug my RP 500 into that, the hissing noise and stuff is non existant, but my volume drops out and i can't switch to amp/cabinet bypass mode or else my volume drops even worse. I can make it get somewhat loud by turning the RP 500's master level and amp levels up to max, but even then it's cutting my overall volume on my amp by 1/4. I just need help figuring out what to do. I'm sure it's something to do with gain levels but i don't know how to fix it.

Old
  (#5)
Put up or shut up!

Default Re: Digitech RP 500 - 12-02-2008, 01:11 PM

That's odd bro. I have not played the RP500 before, but shouldn't make noises. Is your 1/4" cord good? What amp are you playing it through?

I'll see if I can't find an image online of the rear to see how it plugs in.

Old
  (#6)

Default Re: Digitech RP 500 - 12-02-2008, 01:53 PM

Raven RG100 2x12 combo

Old
  (#7)
Put up or shut up!

Default Re: Digitech RP 500 - 12-02-2008, 02:12 PM

Okay bro, I took a look at the PDF manual. It's pretty basic to hook-up.

Guitar in > Amp out

Check the Amp/Mixer switch on the back. Be sure this is on "Amp".

If that is correct, try to adjust the "Amp Level" (knob 5) and "Master Volume" (knob 6)

If it still doesn't work, maybe the amp has a effects loop? If so, try that.

I wish I could help more.

Old
  (#8)

Default Re: Digitech RP 500 - 12-02-2008, 03:37 PM

That's what I meant earlier when I said the amp has an effects send/return hookup in the back of it. I believe this is the Effects loop thing you're talking about. I hooked it up to that and it eliminated the noise, but it cuts my amp volume down by 1/4 at least. From messing around with the knobs, I think it has something to do with the preamp gain that's interfering with the RP 500. Most amps on the clean channel don't have preamp gain, but for some reason mine does and it's routed through the treble knob. now if i turn the treble down to 2, I can plug it into the amp's input and I won't get any noise, but my clean channel on bypass will sound terrible. Hell, I'm just trying to all my knobs on the clean channel set to 12 o'clock without getting masive noise.