Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Welcome > The Pit
Reload this Page Harmony-Central Forum is a mess
The Pit General discussion - 18 and over recommended

Old
  (#11)
n00b!
SteveO is on a distinguished road

Default 04-12-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchero Muerto View Post
It's the biggest trainwreck ever.
To say the least................

Old
  (#12)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default 04-12-2010, 03:10 PM

I was going to ask how things are going over there... from the looks of things, not good? I find the new color scheme extremely annoying to read posts.

Did they get a quick reply yet? That's a must have feature.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#13)
Put up or shut up!

Default 04-12-2010, 03:14 PM

Changing forum software can kill a community. Gear-Monkey was recently changed to the same software HC use to use. Even changing to this software here it cost us some members. We were more active with the older software.

But this software is a must have for a serious and long term message forum. It is far superior to anything else out there. I think HarmonyCentral made a fatal mistake changing the forum.

Old
  (#14)
n00b!
Coralkong is on a distinguished road

Default 04-12-2010, 03:43 PM

Nothing is really working over there, to be honest.

It's just too much to take, really.

If you know the history.....HCEG forums rolled out the beta version about 3 months ago. It crashed their servers within 15 minutes. It was awful.

People bitched and moaned and threatened to leave.

So they pushed out the same software with the same bugs over the weekend.

It's a disaster.

Old
  (#15)
Put up or shut up!

Default 04-13-2010, 01:55 PM

I spent some time posting over there today and it's very slow as far as user activity. Seems to be common for posts like "I'm really struggling" and "this is so confusing".

It does seem buggy. I think they'll eventually get the bugs worked out, but what bothers me the most is the design. It's just so annoying to read. The contrast is awful.

I've been a member on H-C since 2007 and have over 3,100 posts. It was my second favorite forum.... until now.

Old
  (#16)
n00b!
Uncle Fester is on a distinguished road

Default 04-13-2010, 05:18 PM

HC is now a mess indeed. A poorly planned and executed train wreck. Attempting to use "help desk" software, to base a forum on, is a disaster at it's best. The complete disregard for the members in going ahead with this, after they were advised this software is not up to the task, is shameful.

btw, thanks for inviting me here, Mr. Sandman

Old
  (#17)
Redline68 is on a distinguished road

Default 04-13-2010, 09:18 PM

I haven't been able to log on there since they made the switch. The site tells me it'll send an email, but it never does.

Old
  (#18)
n00b!
SteveO is on a distinguished road

Default 04-13-2010, 09:46 PM

Sand-Man, Like you I had been there since 2003 the 2nd time around as I originally was there since 2000 when LittleBrother was the Moderator of the AG section.

Regards,

SteveO

Old
  (#19)
Put up or shut up!

Default 04-14-2010, 12:56 AM

Did you guys read the thread by Craig Anderton? “Yes, there are major problems. Here’s what we’re doing about it.” - That thread turned quite ugly.

Then there are threads like “An open letter to Craig Anderton about what’s left of HC” that threatens mass user revolt. To me, it’s hard to imagine that HC will keep this new design up. At what point do they say "fine, this was a failure... we're going to upgrade to vBulletin 4.0". I think people will rejoice if they said that. That said, it might be too late for others to come back. I think this experiment left a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouths.

Old
  (#20)
n00b!
Uncle Fester is on a distinguished road

Default 04-14-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan View Post
Did you guys read the thread by Craig Anderton? “Yes, there are major problems. Here’s what we’re doing about it.” - That thread turned quite ugly.

Then there are threads like “An open letter to Craig Anderton about what’s left of HC” that threatens mass user revolt. To me, it’s hard to imagine that HC will keep this new design up. At what point do they say "fine, this was a failure... we're going to upgrade to vBulletin 4.0". I think people will rejoice if they said that. That said, it might be too late for others to come back. I think this experiment left a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouths.
How much negative stuff, does one have to hear, before one admits it was a dismal failure? Methinks there is a larger picture at work here, either wanting more ad space, or something other. Also notice all of the non-music related ads now.

Seems an awful lot has already been invested in this abortion, to admit defeat now, if in fact, HC sees this as defeat.

Almost retired guitarmaker, now just a cranky old bastard.

Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-14-2010 at 02:09 AM..