Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Gear > Amps
Reload this Page home brew 2X12
Amps Amp and rig talk

home brew 2X12
Old
  (#1)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default home brew 2X12 - 03-03-2008, 01:07 AM

we don't really have a home brew, or project section that i see, so i stuck this here :-P

i started this as a marshall 1936 clone, but i deviated along the way, it's not finished i'm still working on it, but i wanted to share it with the world, i am aware other people, and manufactures make better shit than i do, but i can't afford either...... i'm a realy musician, i have no day job...... i'm waiting for a good gig :-P anyway...

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Re: home brew 2X12
Old
  (#2)

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: home brew 2X12 - 03-03-2008, 01:10 AM

and

Old
  (#3)

Default Re: home brew 2X12 - 03-03-2008, 01:13 AM

and

Old
  (#4)

Default Re: home brew 2X12 - 03-03-2008, 01:38 AM

this is going to be a 2X12 cabinet, 29 1/2" wide and 23" tall, with those pictures you can see it's braced pretty well, i hope (crosses fingers) lol. i glued and screwed all the braces, and there is a glued and screwed brace at every joint, since i lack the tools to do finger jointing, they are just butt joints, with heavy duty bracing. i used 11/16" birch plywood from lowes, had to reject a few pieces at the store because i could see massive voids in the plywood, and 2 of the sheets had plugs in them, i got the sheet that looked the best from the outside, and learned that because it looks good outside don't mean it's good on the inside, after sawing i see the low quality lumber lowes tries to pass off, internally there were all kinds of voids in the plywood any i ran across i had to fill with wood filler to eliminate gaps that i foresee becoming a problem while applying the tolex. i forsee the voids sucking the material in when it gets streched, though i am not certain of this, i figured better to be safe than sorry, once the glue is applied it's to late to make changes :-P i chose to have the grill cloth flush with the front of the cab similar to avatar cabs, which was a deviation from marshall's design which recessed the baffle an inch or so, i also chose to have the grill cloth attached to a removable frame, as opposed to attached to the baffle, the first attempt at making the frame ended in disaster, note on shitty lowes plywood even when tapped (drilled out) a screw will break the plys apart, the plywood is not glued all that well. screws through the sides similar to the cabinet itself didn't work it mangled the plywood, so on my second attempt i used staples, which don't seem very stable, but upon actually doing it it is remakably stable, esspecially after the grill cloth get upholstered to it, it becomes quite rigid, while i probably wouldn't lean on it with all my weight, i wager it will stand up as well as any fender or peavey removable grill, i then painted the baffle and corners black, the baffle to make it blend in behind the grill, and the corners in anticipation of me not getting a perfect corner on the tolex :-D always plan ahead, if there is a gap in the tolex in the corners the black wood will not show up as bad as the light natural color would, next step hopefully tomorrow if it's as warm as it was today, and not raining i'll cut the holes for the speakers, and start gluing the tolex on, weather concerns because the family is spooked since the glue says, the vapours are explosively flamable and we heat the garage (where this project is being constructed) with a wood stove....... so when i have it covered i'll grace you all with some more pictures

Old
  (#5)
senor_penguin is on a distinguished road

Default Re: home brew 2X12 - 03-03-2008, 10:30 PM

I might make a 2x12 for my marshall that I will get hopefully pretty soon, I'm just afriad that I'll wire it wrong

GEAR
- Epiphone Les Paul Custom
- Peavey Tracer
- Fender Fm212
- Line 6 UBER metal
- MXR Phase 90
- Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
- Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
- Boss DD-3
- Boss BF-2

Old
  (#6)

Default Re: home brew 2X12 - 03-03-2008, 10:50 PM

can't wire it wrong for a marshall, if you get 2 8ohm speaker and wire them in series, you have a 16ohm cab, if you wire them in parallel it's 4ohms, if you have 8 ohm speakers you can't go wrong..... accept to wire them out-of-phase but i'm fairly certain you'd know it if you did that

Old
  (#7)
V-Type is on a distinguished road

Default Re: home brew 2X12 - 03-04-2008, 12:26 AM

Hey some of the best stuff Ive ever had I made myself. Nice job on the cab.
Low cab cost means more Speaker money.
I actually lined the inside of one with that cheaper thin rubber sheet material at the Roofing supply store and the tight bass response was killer plus it projected so much better than the cheap plywood alone that I used would have done.

Old
  (#8)

Default Re: home brew 2X12 - 03-07-2008, 08:18 PM

cabinet update time :-D finally finished, it's a little bit dirty in the pics, sorry about that, saw dust is a vile substance gets everywhere and is damn near impossible to get rid of lol....

Old
  (#9)

Default Re: home brew 2X12 - 03-07-2008, 08:21 PM

with my paul to show relative size

Old
  (#10)

Default Re: home brew 2X12 - 03-07-2008, 08:24 PM

back side .......