Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Welcome > The Pit
Reload this Page Weekend report!
The Pit General discussion - 18 and over recommended

Re: Weekend report!
Old
  (#31)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Weekend report! - 11-01-2008, 03:14 PM

My son Jack was a Clone Trooper from Star Wars, he's the littler guy:

Jack and his friend Ryan went to Boo at the Zoo, a cool local tradition where the community college opens it's teaching zoo (usually open only by appointment), where they decorate the zoo in a bunch of different themes, and the kids walk through and get candy and look at the decorations and the animals:

My daughter Hannah Beth, the artist, went to a party with her high school girlfriends, here's her costume:

She carved us a fantastic pumpkin:

Let's see those pics peeps! I knows you got 'em!

Okeefenokee!
Old
  (#32)

Default Okeefenokee! - 11-10-2008, 08:55 AM

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

My son Jack and I and his Boy Scout troop went to the Okeefenokee National Wildlife Refuge in Georgia this weekend. We camped a couple miles away from the actual Refuge property, which is half the size of the state of Rhode Island. The nights were cold, somewhere below 45 F (we were in tents), but over all we had a great trip.

We arrived Firday night and set up camp in the dark. Got the kids up with reveille Saturday morning (good to have a retired USAF bugler as one of the dads) and went out to the Refuge. After a presentation by one of the rangers and a movie about the park, we hit the canoes. We rowed out into the swamp and had lunch on a camping platform a few miles away (no dry land to be seen in any direction) and then canoe'd back. Some of it was very tight with not much more a few inches on either side of the canoe to get through. Although this was Jack's first time in a canoe (and my second!) he did great. Jack saw an alligator off in the brush a ways off the canoe trail, but I couldn't see him, they are really hard to see in the water. Later we passed by an alligator sunning himself, about 10 or 12 feet from us, on the side of the canoe trail, as we passed in the canoe. I didn't try to take a picture of that one!

All the Scouts and adults made it back safe and sound, eventually, and no one capsized all day.

Sunday after a chapel service at aour camp we packed up and then went back to the Refuge and went out to the Chesser House, which is an old swamper's cabin built in the 1920's and lived in until 1958. No electricity or running water, and with a kerosene-powered refridgerator. We also went out on a boardwalk built over the swamp and saw another gator, he's the one in the photo below.

We didn't get back to Gainesville until about 4 pm on Sunday. I'm sore and a little sunburned, but it was a memorable trip. Pix below!

Jack & BK

Bugler

Ranger

Jack in canoe

Lunch

Lost?

Will post a few more pics later.

Re: Weekend report!
Old
  (#33)

Default Re: Weekend report! - 11-10-2008, 09:01 AM

Heron

Canoe trail

BK w/sign

Walking Trail

Smokehouse

Gator

Jack

La Krashpadita's First Show!
Old
  (#34)

Default La Krashpadita's First Show! - 11-23-2008, 09:18 AM

With her old man.

Well, besides when she was a baby or toddler at outdoorsy things.

Friday night I got home from work to be notified my daughter (15) wanted to go to an early all-ages show at my fave local venue (same place I played last week). So I changed clothes, had something to eat, and off we went.

The show was a benefit for a school group helping those w/autism. My ex-bandmate Dave, the soundman there, gave her a pair of earplugs before I could make some out of a napkin or buy a pair. I introduced her to my friend Jen, the bartender (also a local musician, my band Crash Pad has played with her band many times over the years), and Dave first thing.

Dave actually had seen her last when she was a toddler or baby when we did the occasional band practice at my house back in the day. There were literally maybe 6 adults in the whole place (besides staff, which was Jen and Dave and a couple people on door) that stayed for any length of time. A group of another 7 or 8 people came in but I think they found it kind of awkward with all the high schoolers, so they stayed less than an hour. The rest of the adults besides me were a couple band members' parents and a couple regulars who are there a lot (apparently).

We had a good time.

Here is the flyer for the show:

This is the club:

As you can see, it's called 1982. I have yet to hear a good explanation why. It's street address is 919, so I know that ain't it.

This is the band Captain Fresh that played. They were our favorite band that night. In the pic they are playing onstage at 1982, but this is from some other show:

This is what the stage looks like. But the gear is from my side band when we played last week. The stage still looks the same.

This is my friend Jen. She tends bar there:

Here's us outside 1982: