Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Welcome > The Pit
Reload this Page Weekend thread 3/20-3/22
The Pit General discussion - 18 and over recommended

Weekend thread 3/20-3/22
Old
  (#1)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Weekend thread 3/20-3/22 - 03-23-2009, 09:09 AM

Played guitar in church Sunday morning, first song was a pre-service song, U2's "40." Of course, my delay pedal was busted, that's always fun trying to play U2 with no delay. So I cranked up the chorus and the reverb and faked it. It actually went OK though. On that song it was me on electric and the pianist/singer used my beater 12-string Yamaha. On one of the service songs I missed an intro, because the flautist started playing without giving me a count in, so I just waited to come in with the piano, rather than jump in late. Fortunately no major screw-ups that were really noticeable.

I'm still a bit nervous playing there. At my last church (a couple years ago) the band was off to the side and I mainly played seated, and sorta hid behind the organ console. Here, I'm up front and there are like several hundred people facing me. I used my new (to me) little 2x8 40W Crate and it sounded fine, did not run through the PA, which is how I prefer anyhow. Played the Les Paul Classic with the '52 RI Tele in reserve (wanted the praise band leader to not have a chance to judge me poorly based on gear, so brought the more expensive stuff). Still getting used to doing the little descending bass-note chords one sees in church music again. The pianist/singer/praise band leader leader asked me if I'd be available to play more than the one Sunday per month that my "team" plays, and I said sure, he apparently doesn't have any electric guitarists on any of the other teams, so if there's a song that's a bit more "rock" maybe I'll get to sit in with some of the other teams.

Saturday I'd dropped my daughter off at the botanical gardens, they were having a big Spring event with plant sales, bands, etc., before I went to church for my band practice. She spent all afternoon with her new "boyfriend" but reportedly no PDA as yet. It went well though-- I checked her facebook and her friend left a little heart on her wall. Back at Casa Krashpad after church band practice, all day was spent doing laundry and folding and putting away, and picking up the house for Jack's belated birthday party Sunday afternoon.

After I got back from church on Sunday at about 1 pm, I went out into the front yard with the grass whip and took out all the weeds, then fired up the mower and mowed the worst parts of the back yard, and leaf-blew the drive and front walk and porch, before people got there for the birthday party. We did everything out on the back patio, the weather was perfect today, 70's F, cool and breezy. The kids who came all got a Nerf gun as their party favor, so they had Nerf battles for a couple hours, in between gift-opening and cake and ice cream. Nice low-profile inexpensive party, and perfect for 12-year-old boys.

Howzabout y'all?

Re: Weekend thread 3/20-3/22
Old
  (#2)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Weekend thread 3/20-3/22 - 03-23-2009, 01:14 PM

Sounds like an eventful weekend. It blows my mind that you're mowing your grass though... we woke up Saturday morning with a glaze of snow. Of course it melted away by noon, but still... everything is so dead, wet and sometimes cold. It's 37 outside right now, I think.

That's really cool that you're going to be playing more at church. I bet you really like that. Buying the crate was money well spent, because it sounds like you'll be using it a lot doing a lot of playing.

I think the highlight of my weekend was setting up the Epiphone Les Paul custom that came in Thursday. It needed a truss rod adjustment and intonation bad. Plays nice though... I'll be shooting some pictures of it, hopefully today.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#3)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Weekend thread 3/20-3/22 - 03-23-2009, 02:07 PM

Looking forward to seeing those pics! Congrats.

Old
  (#4)
crazy_guitar_man is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Weekend thread 3/20-3/22 - 03-23-2009, 02:15 PM

yeah this weekend for me wasn't very eventful haha i went to my friends on sat and helped him try to get his car fixed i am afraid that it needs a alternator and maybe a starter solenoid and he doesn't have that much money haha but other than that i took my acoustic and we jammed on some songs and then called it a night then on sunday i went up to my girlfriends all day then spent from 11 pm to about 3 am doing two papers that were due today...one i did was a book report on how the irish saved civilization by thomas cahill and the other was a outline for a speech which i am doing on the process of making a guitar...

but yeah pretty laid back weekend for me

http://gear-vault.com/classifieds <---------go there sell your gear or maybe find that one thing you have been looking for!!!!