Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Welcome > The Pit
Reload this Page Harmony-Central Forum is a mess
The Pit General discussion - 18 and over recommended

Old
  (#31)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default 04-16-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerjones View Post
Likewise. I've heard that they're considering rolling back to vbulletin, but I don't think I'll ever spend as much time as I did. It was starting to get overrun by idiots and trolls. Oh well!
Hey speakerjones, that's great news if they do go back to VB! Is there a link to the rumor? I'm trying to keep up on HarmonyCentral news and would like to see what people are saying.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#32)
n00b!
speakerjones is on a distinguished road

Default 04-16-2010, 03:26 PM

At this point they haven't officially said what they're doing, but they're doing something. Here's the link to the announcment (it's at the top of the page).

http://www.harmonycentral.com/commun...ew=discussions

Here's another comment Anderton made:

Quote:
Re: The "We Listened" Message - THANK YOU HC!
What's being planned will be explained as soon as we can. There are still many details to be worked out and we don't want to give more details until they're nailed down. Unfortunately HC 1.0 remains a nightmare in terms of support. It's still problematic and if we have to return to it, then that brings up additional negative issues. But nothing is off the table, from a total rollback, to taking the entire site down, to removing all ads if that's what's causing pages to hang, to splitting off the forums, to many other options...unfortunately there are no perfect solutions. Each option has to be evaluated as to impact, feasibility, and ability to satisfy the community's needs.

What I can say is that every option is being evaluated primarily on the community feedback. Any other considerations (expense, timing, etc.) are secondary.

This is going to be a very difficult 24 hours, but we hope we'll have something at the end of that time period that we all can live with until we can find a permanent solution. Please don't speculate as to what we'll be doing, we're still in the data collection stage and that data will sort of make the decision for us.

You're right, I am doing everything I can to get this fixed but so is everybody else. What's not clear yet is what exact form that fix will take, but as I said, at this point nothing is off the table.

Old
  (#33)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up 04-16-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerjones View Post
Same here Brian. I'll check in from time to time, but I'm not going to contribute like I did. I'm kind of liking smaller forums like this, and Mark Wein's forum. Less BS drama on smooth platforms.
Win-win.

I'm a member at Wein's as well, but don't post very often.

Old
  (#34)
Put up or shut up!

Default 04-16-2010, 04:53 PM

HC is making this harder than it has to be. They keep talking about how Harmony-Central 1.0 was duct taped, pieced together, band aid', and a complete mess internally... but they seem to avoid the real solution is vBulletin 3.8 or 4.0 (cheapest and fastest) resolution to make the community happy.

Harmony-Central was an outdated and nulled vBulletin version, of course it was all messed up. It's like FireFox or any other software, it needs to be updated when new versions become available.

Please HC just use vBulletin 3.8 or 4.0! It really does not have to be this difficult and drawn out to resolve the issue.

Old
  (#35)
n00b!
speakerjones is on a distinguished road

Default 04-16-2010, 05:09 PM

Seems that way. Probably some suits at GC/MF impressed by Jive's salespeople using a lot of cool buzzwords. Whatever. Even if you forget about the forums, the reviews are a resource that every musician who has a computer has used. The whole online musician community is pissed about that being unaccessable.

Old
  (#36)
n00b!
TheSoad25 is on a distinguished road

Default 04-16-2010, 06:39 PM

Old
  (#37)
n00b!
smorgdonkey is on a distinguished road

Default 04-17-2010, 01:21 AM

I just realize that it was a place that I enjoyed and that it isn't coming back. I don't think I need to spend that much time surfing anyway. I realize that it is time for a change and the self-destruction of HC helped me make that change.

Old
  (#38)
Guitar Blogger
Sarssipius is on a distinguished road

Default 04-24-2010, 08:03 PM

I really wonder how much they had to pay to get such a screwed layout!!

Old
  (#39)
Redline68 is on a distinguished road

Default 04-27-2010, 03:32 PM

I might try to sign in there one more time. I kinda gave up after 4 tries with the email link thing. Then again, I seem to be doing fine without it.

Old
  (#40)
Put up or shut up!

Default 04-27-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarssipius View Post
I really wonder how much they had to pay to get such a screwed layout!!
That smiley image that you used [ ] is exactly how my eyes feel after spending a half-hour over there reading posts. I try to monitor random message forums to see what the buzz of the day/week is in the guitar world.