Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Gear > Amps
Reload this Page What was the first amp you ever bought?
Amps Amp and rig talk

Re: What was the first amp you ever bought?
Old
  (#21)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What was the first amp you ever bought? - 04-18-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by characterzero
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan
Mine was an old Peavey T-15 with an amp built into the hardshell case (like this photo). The guitar was really nice, Made in USA -- 1981, Maple neck and fretboard, PAF style pickups and Cream Pickguard. It was my 13th x-mas gift.
That looks like a very cool first guitar/amp combo. Are those still in production?
Nope, unfortunately. The Peavey T-series was in production during the 70's and 80's. The flagship of the series was the T-60, designed by Peavey designer Chip Todd ("T" is for Todd). I have a T-60:

It's a cool guitar, with a unique coil split control (1-7 on the tone control is humbucker, 7-10 fades the second coil out in favor of a single coil). If you want info on the T-60 or other T-series guitars or basses (the main bass was called the T-40), check out this site:

http://www.PeaveyT-60.com

Chip Todd, the T-60 designer, posts there regularly, which is very cool. He's a really nice old dude. I tried referring to him as Mr. Todd out of respect, and he'd have none of it. He's just "Chip" to everyone there.

Old
  (#22)
characterzero is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What was the first amp you ever bought? - 04-19-2008, 10:41 AM

Very cool, thanks for all the info!

Old
  (#23)

Default Re: What was the first amp you ever bought? - 04-19-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Very cool, thanks for all the info!
No worries. The T-series guitars were very underrated while in production, other than bluesman Johhny Copeland and some studio country guys they didn't get much love. For a long time you could buy them for dirt cheap even though they are US-made guitars. Prices on the T-60 and possibly the T-40 bass have been going up in the last few years though. Most of the other T-series guitars can still be picked up pretty cheaply. I got my T-60, w/ohsc, about 3 years ago for $200.

Old
  (#24)
characterzero is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What was the first amp you ever bought? - 04-19-2008, 02:33 PM

Checking E-bay they look like the T-60s are around $300 now, but I'm still intrigued. The whole series looks pretty cool.

Old
  (#25)

Default Re: What was the first amp you ever bought? - 04-19-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Checking E-bay they look like the T-60s are around $300 now, but I'm still intrigued. The whole series looks pretty cool.
Yeah, seems like the T-60's are 3 bills and even up nowadays. Natural ones are usually less than the ones in colors (red/maroon-- can't remember which, white, black) and sunburst ones. One dowsside about the natural ones is they are Northern Oak and HEAVY. A lot of the solid color ones are poplar instead, and so weigh a little less. I haven't opened mine up but it's not as heavy as some of the naturals I've hefted, so I'm guessing it's poplar.

Happy shopping!