Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Electric Guitars
Reload this Page Gibson Explorer-American made.

Gibson Explorer-American made.
Old
  (#1)
yuyaya is on a distinguished road

Smile Gibson Explorer-American made. - 01-23-2013, 02:50 AM

1 Tone knob, 2 Volume knobs. 496R pickup in the neck, 500T for the bridge pick-up. It's got an ebony finish, chrome hardware, tune-o-matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece. Came with a lovely hardcase. Built in 2001 but purchased in 2003. Everything you need - tuning stability, decent pickups, solid finish and a good quality body. No whisltles and bells like trems or effects. Supposedly rosewood fretboard, looks ebony, but it could be a heavily dyed rosewood.

Lets start by eliminating this myth - the Explorer *removed* is not just a hard rock/metal guitar. It is versatile. You can get a nice blues sound, clean sound, classic rock sound, mild distortion and hard metal distortion, it all sounds good. Think who've used this guitar and embraced it; Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters), The Edge (U2), Rivers Cuomos (Weezer), Wayne Static (Static-X), Metallica (pre-AJFA) and many others. This guitar is a nice guitar for most styles, though it's shape immediately suggests rock.

The 496R is nice, sounds good for blues and rock. Sometimes to bassy, but the tone/volume knobs can calm it down. Same with the 500T which is uber-hot, but still useful in certain styles particularly dirty sounds. And single notes ring nicely with an attack for blues runs. With a three way pick-up selector you can use 3 settings; 1)496R 2)496R + 500T 3)500T. I tend to use option 1 and 2 for cleans. Option 3 for just about all of my dirty sounds. If you roll all the knobs to 10 and crank up the gain you can get a nice metal crunch. Roll em back and its more rock n roll. It's a gorgeus pick-up combination.

I play bits of everything; blues, classic rock, and some modern rock (Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, Filter, Nirvana) and some softer stuff (Counting Crows, Coldplay, Starsailor). This guitar suits most of those styles. Though you can't get any sounds remotely like single coil sounds, so i struggle to get any Chili Peppers or Starsailor sounds. I don't gig or play my own music, I play for fun.

If you play soft/clean stuff exclusively, look away from this and consider a s/c Fender, if you want buckers, a Les Paul or SG might be better.

*removed*

Last edited by MrSandMan; 03-14-2014 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: removed spam

Old
  (#2)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default 03-14-2014, 02:15 PM

Every post you made is spam. Do you feel like contributing to the forum without spammin?

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#3)
n00b!
rhianna is on a distinguished road

Default 04-17-2015, 06:52 AM

UPDATE: I’ve mocked up a landing page site to collect emails from anyone interested in this product, with the idea that maybe a Kickstarter campaign would be a good route to pursue here. Admittedly, the website is lacking on specific product details, but once all the Is are dotted and Ts are crossed, I’ll showcase the project in detail via the Kickstarter, or updated website soon. So this landing page will be live in the next few days (hopefully) and then I can really start to gauge interest.

Thanks everyone!