Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Guitar Technique & Exercises
Reload this Page Anyone here know how to do frets?
Guitar Technique & Exercises Discuss music theory, writing, composition and improvising in here

Anyone here know how to do frets?
Old
  (#1)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default Anyone here know how to do frets? - 05-19-2008, 10:38 PM

I noticed the ole' battle weary axe(esp/ltd M100FM) is gettin' some pretty flat spots on a lot of her frets. Any one here know whats involved in a fret job? I prefer to do it myself. If I f*** up I'll take it to Birmingham or Atlanta to get it fixed. The LMS here SUX A**! I did do all my own intonation and action setup, I bought a book. Did a pretty good job of it too if I do say so myself. I'm pretty sure I can handle a fret job if I know what it involves.Thanks for any info on tools needed etc.

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Re: Anyone here know how to do frets?
Old
  (#2)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Anyone here know how to do frets? - 05-20-2008, 12:09 AM

a fret job is significantly more difficult to do than a setup, a certain degree of carpentry / luthier skill is involved, it is very difficult to get the frets off that are on there without damaging the fretboard, re-fretting an unfretted guitar is a not too bad but getting them off sucks, tools you'd require are a sanding block with the same radius as your fret board, and a few various fine grit metal files........ i have tried a few times in my life, and i would NOT recommend doing it yourself on a guitar you can't afford to really fuck up, because i willalmost garuntee you will fuck up the guitar the first few times you try it lol, search google, there are a ton of building sites with fretting how-to's..... i'll look around later and see if i can locate a few good tutorials......

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Re: Anyone here know how to do frets?
Old
  (#3)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Anyone here know how to do frets? - 05-20-2008, 06:50 AM

Thanks. Once I see the level of difficulty involved, I may take it to GC in Birmingham.Or if I think I can handle it, I'll do it myself. Since I'm seriously considering a new guitar, and I've had this one for a couple of years now, I can afford to muck it up a little.

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Old
  (#4)
n00b!
arham is on a distinguished road

Default 01-29-2015, 04:18 AM

agree with the advice of a guitar tech.

I'm guessing a truss rod tweak and maybe a touch shaved off the bottom of the saddle is in order.