Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Welcome > The Pit
Reload this Page I pulled a Rick Nielsen!
The Pit General discussion - 18 and over recommended

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I pulled a Rick Nielsen!
Old
  (#1)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default I pulled a Rick Nielsen! - 07-12-2009, 03:52 PM

I got to church early today and found the simplest song to figure out on mandolin. (Last weekend was the first time I played mandolin in public ever. I still don't know very many chords and have to figure them out based on guitar chords.) So the band director arrives and says "Mandolin sounds great on the song, but I kinda wanted you to do a guitar solo at the end." (I should mention that apparently I'm our only guitarist who can extemporaneously solo.)

No prob. For the song, I strap on both a guitar and a mando. I play the song on mandolin, we get to the end, I flip the mando out of the way, and play the guitar solo. We were doing a run-through right before church, a few people were already there, and I said "I just want everyone to know this was Joel's (band director) idea." The entire band and a couple people in the pews cracked up. I'd never strapped on 2 instruments at once for as long as I've played.

Have you ever seen this done in church (or otherwise, besides Nielsen)? Like I said, I only did it to fulfill my band director's wishes for the song, but it still seems kind of a "flash" thing for church (even though I tried not to play it up-- I was too intent on switching instruments).

Tell me your thoughts.