Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Electric Guitars
Reload this Page Help me build my dream stratocaster!!

Help me build my dream stratocaster!!
Old
  (#1)
MetalMac is on a distinguished road

Default Help me build my dream stratocaster!! - 11-09-2009, 01:48 AM

I thought I'd start an interactive thread of sorts. I am wanting to build a stratocaster with some versatility. I want it to be able to get humbucker style tones as well as single coil tones. I am curious as to what you guys would recommend for the neck, body, pups, toggle switches, pots, nut, tuners, everything from the ground up!!! I will take everything into consideration and will keep you guys posted as to my progress.

Re: Help me build my dream stratocaster!!
Old
  (#2)

Default Re: Help me build my dream stratocaster!! - 12-02-2009, 12:57 AM

nobody? I was kinda hoping for some advice and I was wanting to make a strat based on your ideas.

Old
  (#3)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Help me build my dream stratocaster!! - 12-02-2009, 04:36 PM

Okay here's my idea of the perfect strat.. mahogany body, original floyd rose, maple neck, lock-nut, grover tuners, Seymour Duncan JB humbucker in the bridge and original american strat singles in middle and neck (or maybe SDs there too). Probably 500k pots and a 5-way selector. Maybe add a phase inverter switch too.. but that would be a matter of preference. I'd probably never use it.

So if the Strat stays in tune (check) - Strat can do high gain (check) - Strat can do cleans and brown sound (check) and the strat has a deep rich voicing w/ mahogany wood (check) and is a smooth player (solid maple neck - check) the strat is perfect.

However, I'd personally prefer a dual humbucker guitar.. but that's just me.

By the way, we're switching the forum over to new software and the site will be undergoing a lot of changes. If you like the same software ultimate-guitar, harmony-central, thegearpage, jemsite, sevenstring.org use, then you'll feel right at home at Gear-Monkey because we're upgrading to the same software all those guys use.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#4)

Default Re: Help me build my dream stratocaster!! - 12-02-2009, 09:19 PM

I like what you guys are doing with the forums, it's great. I can always count on you sandman, thanks for your input! I'd really like for the neck to have more of a satin style finish rather than that high gloss, but that's just me. I'm open for any suggestions as to where I can get my parts for a good price. I also have a telecaster that needs a new neck and new pups.

Old
  (#5)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up 12-06-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan View Post
Okay here's my idea of the perfect strat.. mahogany body, original floyd rose, maple neck, lock-nut, grover tuners, Seymour Duncan JB humbucker in the bridge and original american strat singles in middle and neck (or maybe SDs there too). Probably 500k pots and a 5-way selector.
Sounds like a Strat-shaped Les Paul!

Or at best a superstrat.

I'm not really a Strat guy myself, I tend to go towards Teles and LP's.

If I had a Strat with an HB, it'd be in the neck, not the bridge where everyone else puts them. But I'm not a non-trad Strat person either. I like the 3-singles design with the middle slot RW/RP. Alder, ash, or poplar body, to preference/price. Maple neck. The inexpensive Strats I've had have always had ceramic pickups, I'd like to hear how alnicos sound in a Strat.

But I don't think my views come very close to the OP's so I doubt this is any help at all.

Old
  (#6)

Default 12-06-2009, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the reply, krashpad. Yeah, you seem to be more of a traditionalist, which is good, but I already have a freakin sweet american standard strat which is terrific for the traditional strat sound. What I'm looking for is a strat that can be custom built/modded to achieve a more versatile sound. I love the neck on the american strat. It's maple with a awesome rosewood board and a smooth satin finish (not the laquered up gloss finish like some guitar necks have). So I'm looking for a neck similar to that profile, but the makeup of it doesn't necessarily have to be maple/rosewood. I was also looking for a nice pickup selection that would allow me to achieve more humbucker style tones as well as nice cleans. I guess you could say that I'm looking for a "metal strat!"

Old
  (#7)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default 12-06-2009, 02:18 PM

Have you checked out this site?

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/Guitar.aspx

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#8)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default 12-10-2009, 07:30 AM

Oh yeah, lots of online friends of mine have gone the Warmoth route.