Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Effects
Reload this Page What is you favorite style of dirt pedal?
Effects Discuss effects and processors for electric guitar and bass

View Poll Results: What is you favorite style of dirt pedal?
Distortion (BOSS DS-1, ProCo RAT, MT-2, Big Muff Pi) 5 41.67%
Overdrive (Tubescreamer, BOSS SD-1, OD-1) 5 41.67%
Fuzz (Fuzz Face, ToneBender, FuzzTone) 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Re: What is you favorite style of dirt pedal?
Old
  (#11)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What is you favorite style of dirt pedal? - 06-02-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan
I usually use amp distortion. but chose the "distortion" poll because I really like the Big Muff Pi. I come up with some killer riffs with the Peavey XXX and the Muff. They work well together. MT-2 is okay, but sounds.... digital to me (lack of a better word).

all-in-all amp distortion has always been my choice.

Oh, and I also really love the Digitech Bad Monkey. Just like the one on the Gear-Monkey give-away http://gear-monkey.com/forum/feature...al-t470.0.html

Cheers
My Keeley modded MT-2 sounds SMOOTH, no more "digital" harshness. I know exactly what your talking about. Now that I've had it a while, the only thing I don't like is how sensitive the eq is now. It was pretty time consuming to eq in a good sound before, but its kinda hard now. I can't wait to get some new recording gear to make some sound clips for you guy's. My wife opted out of the new Falcon PC, and got us 2 new laptops instead. I love mine, and I got a cool new backpack to carry it in while riding my bike. Maybe I'll let you borrow it one day so you can check it out.( The MT-2, not my bike).

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Old
  (#12)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: What is you favorite style of dirt pedal? - 06-02-2008, 01:27 AM

Sweet, new recording gear

I've read good things about the Keely mod... I'd love to hear it. Dialing in is half the fun, sometimes. You'll have to make us a clip to check out while testing out your recording gear

Overdrive poll isnt getting much attention? Where's floyd?

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#13)

Default Re: What is you favorite style of dirt pedal? - 06-02-2008, 07:34 AM

As soon as I find some good cheap recording gear for my laptop, I'll put up some sound clips.

Always scoop the mids!!

Old
  (#14)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: What is you favorite style of dirt pedal? - 06-02-2008, 09:31 AM

the MT-2 didn't have a "digital" sound to me.... it had a "solid-state" sound :-\

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Old
  (#15)

Default Re: What is you favorite style of dirt pedal? - 06-02-2008, 02:49 PM

The stock MT-2 has a really bad mid range harshness to it, it almost hurts to listen too. I think SandMan and myself are using the wrong word to describe it, with the stock MT-2 you can't eq this "harshness" out, even if you scoop the mids, sweep 'em or whatever you try. With the Keeley mod, that harshness is gone, and the bass response is a lot fuller. All in all it's just a WAY better pedal. It now finds it's way in my efx chain more than my Metal Muff. I can't wait to send in my SD-1 for the stacked mod. It's got a Germanium chip in it.

Always scoop the mids!!

Old
  (#16)

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: What is you favorite style of dirt pedal? - 06-02-2008, 05:48 PM

i had an MT-2 (won one here :-D) i know what you are talking about, the MT-2s had a nice range for a boss pedal, but boss distortion pedals in general aren't the best, the original BOSS Overdrive pedal i liked, and the SD-1 isn't bad, but the rest are kind of ehhh, i wouldn't buy one new personally, and used if i got a good deal

as far as the SD-1 stacked mod goes, hope you like it. as far as i can tell it would only do 2 things for ya, create more headroom to use as a booster, and eat batteries, i doubt it will change the sound dramatically.

christ i sound so pesimistic lol

Old
  (#17)

Default Re: What is you favorite style of dirt pedal? - 06-02-2008, 07:19 PM

I don't use batteries anyways, and pessimistic? NAH, your just giving an honest opinion about something, which is appreciated by me at least. I do like the SD-1's sound the way it is, but I also like the way the TS9 sounds as well, and the EH Germanium OD. Hopefully this is going to give me a little bit of each from one pedal.

Always scoop the mids!!

Old
  (#18)

Default Re: What is you favorite style of dirt pedal? - 06-03-2008, 12:35 AM

well this opinion i am about to give is not so much an opinion as much as a fact, there is NO and i repeat NO op-amp based distortion device that is going to sound even remotely like a germanium fuzz..... i have built MANY distortion boxes, and a germanium transistor has a sound and feel of it's own, not better or worse than any other but different and unique, a silicon can sound similar, but there isn't much of anyway aa op-amp based device, like TS-9, TS-808, SD-1, DS-1, big muff pi or anything like those is going to sound remotely like a germanium fuzz.......

fuzz face is to BOSS SD-1 as transistor amp distortion is to tube amp distortion. same ball park, opposite teams......

not to flame on anyone or anything, but even keeley can not turn an apple into an orange, i have heard his mods and i can agree they do improve *most* pedals, no one can make a SD-1 sound germanium save god himself

Old
  (#19)

Default Re: What is you favorite style of dirt pedal? - 06-03-2008, 02:02 AM

WOW, after reading your post I did a little more research and sound clip listening. I think I'll mod the SD-1 anyways, AND buy an EH Germanium OD pedal. Thanks man.

Always scoop the mids!!

Old
  (#20)

Default Re: What is you favorite style of dirt pedal? - 06-03-2008, 01:12 PM

well another sale for electro-harmonix was my goal :-P (sarcasim) lol. i just wanted to give you a heads up, i have bought so much gear and have been disappointed, i just wanted to save someone else a little disappointment. especially with the cost of mods that you don't do yourself...... 30 cents in parts + outrageous labor = 75 dollar mod....

the "stacked" mod is just soldering another JRC4558 on top of the one already in it...... you could do that yourself with a JRC4558 from radio shack.... even at radio shack the op-amp is only going to be a dollar at most. i have dozens of them lying around here.