Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Gear > Amps
Reload this Page Can anyone help me about what amp i should get
Amps Amp and rig talk

Can anyone help me about what amp i should get
Old
  (#1)
n00b!
Beckerboi is on a distinguished road

Default Can anyone help me about what amp i should get - 03-25-2008, 07:38 PM

Hi, i play a lot of different types of music, but of coarse I play mainly metal. I can play from the styles of necrophagist, to the most simplist of songs. Right now i am stuck with a marshall avt through a pod xt in which i bought from a friend for a couple bucks. Since i worked up enough cash i can finally get a new amp. (FINALLY) I desperatly need a tube amp that can be versatile tight and heavy, yet still be able to articulate the notes really clearly. I was thinking about getting either a mesa (Dual Triple or Roadster), bogner (Ubershall) or engl (Invader, powerball, se). I have been leaning towards the mesas but i really dont no. There are no engl dealers were i live so i cant try them out so i am srewed there. (I heard they are good amps though) Also i really dont know the different between a dual a triple rec either. (Like why so many people i have heard say that the dual is a lot better the the triple and vise versa) Then i here the roadster is just like road king but with less features. I tried a peavey jsx and a 5150, The jsx was very pleasing but i not enough for me and i really didnt like the 5150 sound. SO as you can see this is really killing my thoughts and is literally giving me headaches. Help me please.

Thats pretty metal man! BRE BRE!!

Re: Can anyone help me about what amp i should get
Old
  (#2)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Can anyone help me about what amp i should get - 03-25-2008, 08:28 PM

Hi Beckerboi,

Welcome to the boards! We have many great posters here always willing to help if you ever have questions.

I guess the first question is what is your budget?

Out of all those you mentioned, obviously, the Road King is most versatile and the Roadster comes in near 2nd. The Roadster has plenty of great options, I couldn't ever think of needing more in the Road King.

Dual Rectos use four 6L6 power tubes and the Triple Recto use six 6L6 power tubes. Meaning the Dual is 100-watts and the Triple is 150-watts (both amps are switchable to EL34 powertubes)

Is the Dual better than the Triple? Not in my opinion. Both are great. However, the Dual has the advantage due to the fact that is is cheaper when it comes time to replacing the tubes. Both are loud as hell! Obviously the Triple will have more head room.

There are many options out there for amps... so picking the right one for you is never easy! So ask yourself:

-What is your budget?
-What are your musical influences?
-How important is versatile to you?

And go from there.

I'm probably bias, but I truly love the Roadster. I never thought I'd want or need such versatile, till I owned one. Then again, do you want to spend $800 or $1700?

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#3)
n00b!

Default Re: Can anyone help me about what amp i should get - 03-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Seriously thanks alot. My head was about to explode from all these thoughts, but you certainly gave me a lot of help.

Well i got more then two grand here are some of my influences
michael romeo, petrucci, muhammed, lahio, Jason Becker, sfogli. (still sound like roadster or road king materia??l)
Is the roadster and road king just more versatile then the dual and triple? And what is the price difference of a roadster to a road king?

Thanks again

Old
  (#4)
Put up or shut up!

Default Re: Can anyone help me about what amp i should get - 03-26-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckerboi
Seriously thanks alot. My head was about to explode from all these thoughts, but you certainly gave me a lot of help.

Well i got more then two grand here are some of my influences
michael romeo, petrucci, muhammed, lahio, Jason Becker, sfogli. (still sound like roadster or road king materia??l)
Is the roadster and road king just more versatile then the dual and triple? And what is the price difference of a roadster to a road king?

Thanks again
Oh man, Mesa Boogie Mark IV comes to mind.

The Roadster and Road King are so much more versatile than Dual and T riple Rectos. I have not really checked, but I think Road Kings are going for around $2200 used.

Here is a review that I wrote on the Roadster:
MESA BOOGIE ROADSTER REVIEW

Hope this helps!

Old
  (#5)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Can anyone help me about what amp i should get - 03-26-2008, 06:28 AM

i feel stupid lol "petrucci" is the only name up there that i have heard :-\ also the mesa's and peavey amps are the only ones i have personally heard, and you don't like peaveys....... as far as "I desperatly need a tube amp that can be versatile tight and heavy, yet still be able to articulate the notes really clearly." goes that is kind of a contradiction of terms :-D not really many tube amps do clean and clear, they can be clean, but clean is normally not loud, and not really clean, if you started on solid state and going to tubes looking for the loud clean sound of transistors, you aren't going to find many* tube amps that can do clear tones, all tube amps warm up (distort) the sound a little bit. and all of the amps you listed are a higher gain amps, and are going to be the hardest to get a pristine clear tone from.

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Old
  (#6)
Vintageheadbox is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Can anyone help me about what amp i should get - 03-26-2008, 07:23 AM

Larry amps and the new Cameron CCV will do all the things you ask they are pricy but well worth the Money

Old
  (#7)
n00b!

Default Re: Can anyone help me about what amp i should get - 03-26-2008, 01:37 PM

Wow that review is great for the roadsters. I think that might be the amp of choice now. As for the Mark IV, that was also a good amp, with a lot of options as well. Also thanks for the advice on the clear tones, it definintly helps my decision now, with me being a tube amp noobie lol.
Also maybe you will now some of the bands the artists are in;
Michael Romeo- Symphony X
Petrucci- Dream Theater
Alexi Lahio- Children of Bodom
Jason Becker - Cacophony, also David Lee Roth for a short time (got ALS)
Marco Sfogli - James Labries solo album, "Elements of Persuasion"
Muhammed Suicmez - Necrophagist
Hope that looks a little familier lol

Old
  (#8)
Put up or shut up!

Default Re: Can anyone help me about what amp i should get - 03-26-2008, 02:16 PM

I think 3 of those bands that you mentioned use or have used the Mesa Boogie Mark IV.

Old
  (#9)
n00b!

Default Re: Can anyone help me about what amp i should get - 03-26-2008, 06:17 PM

Wow, the Mark IV?! Really? I know Lamb of God uses the Mark IV but i would of never of guessed any of those bands i mentioned did. I know Muhammed uses engl amps, petrucci has a road king, lone star and a I believe mark IV, and Marco Sfogli uses a tri axis. I dont really know about the rest.

Hmm, I always knew that the Mark IVs were extremly versatile, but from what you guys are saying, the roadsters are as well. Well, i guess i am just going to have to find a roadster and try one out and compare it to the mark IV. Sine the roadster is a rectifier, would it generally be heavier then a Mark? I would assume so, but I truly have no idea haha.

Once again thanks again! Every bit of information helps and will take me out of the newbie catogory lol

Old
  (#10)
n00b!
tidwop is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Can anyone help me about what amp i should get - 04-12-2008, 11:06 AM

im your engl man right here ladies and gentlement, ive worked in a shop before, with mesa's, now i cannot stand most of them i find there tone is very sterile and not very colorful IMO. get an ivader, wayy better, you wont break your back tweaking also :P . seriously the invader or a powerball would be perfect for you, especially if you get a vader cab with it you will get this tone that is more versitile and is a bit more cheaper :P. you might like diezel.