Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Welcome > The Pit
Reload this Page Weekend report 1/30-2/1 2009
The Pit General discussion - 18 and over recommended

Weekend report 1/30-2/1 2009
Old
  (#1)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Weekend report 1/30-2/1 2009 - 02-01-2009, 08:27 AM

Rather than make my prior "weekend report" thread a million miles long, I've decided to start a new thread for each weekend.

So, what are you doing or planning for this weekend? Big Super Bowl party? Or do you even care about the game?

Friday night my kid's youth group had a meeting/cookout at one of the leaders' house. He lives way out in the country on a dirt road a couple miles from the nearest paved road. They had a bonfire and lots of hotdogs, hamburgers, and picnic type food.

I played my 12-string a lot by the campfire. It's the one pictured in the middle below:

That old beater Yamaha sure still sounds good.

Saturday morning I took my son Jack out to Camp Shands, a Boy Scout camp way east of Gainesville (we live a bit southwest of town). This is an annual event called "Camp Buc Tuocs" (Cub Scout backwards) where the Boy Scouts show younger Cub Scouts scouting skills. Jack went back when he was a Cub Scout, and now this year as a Boy Scout. I hope he wore the ski clothes I packed for him to sleep in, he was in a tent and it went down to 32 F here last night!

After I got home and had some lunch, I had to take my daughter to meet a friend at our annual Hoggetowne Midieval Faire. Another hour+ round trip! Then a few hours later I had to go BACK to pick her up.

After I got home we had some dinner and vegged out. A lot of driving!

Today, we're going to church this morning, and are offically transferring out membership from our last church to this one. Sorta like being a "made man" in the Mafia, only you don't have to whack someone first. After that, my wife is taking my daughter to go to the Midieval Faire with a DIFFERENT friend, while I go pick up Jack from his camp out, Then, since this is the last day of the Faire, I'm taking Jack out to the Faire with me!

Whew.

This evening we'll watch the Super Bowl and do homework with the kids.

You?

Re: Weekend report 1/30-2/1 2009
Old
  (#2)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Weekend report 1/30-2/1 2009 - 02-01-2009, 11:03 AM

that's a lot of BS for one weekend lol, on my agenda was just to go fishing, but my car is having troubles, so yesterday i sepnt tinkering on it, and today i have to go back up a friends garage and tinker some more, but this friend has been working on cars for 40+ years so hopefully it'll be more fixing than tinkering lol.

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Old
  (#3)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Weekend report 1/30-2/1 2009 - 02-01-2009, 01:16 PM

Cub Scouts sounds fun even for the dads. Enough to keep you busy, atleast.

Floyd (or anyone else from Michigan) can vouch that winter is miserable and just going outside to get the mail is a real chore. I, for one, am ready for this crap to go away.

Isn't Superbowl on today?

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#4)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Weekend report 1/30-2/1 2009 - 02-01-2009, 09:35 PM

yeah super bowl is today, prolly on right now, as far as winter goes, i was enjoying it until i went up north by you lol, fricken snow all over the roads, drifts a foot and a half high...... here the roads are clear, i have maybe 9-10 inches in the yard lol it looks like winter, but when i was up there today, it looked like antarctica.

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Old
  (#5)

Default Re: Weekend report 1/30-2/1 2009 - 02-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydmoline
that's a lot of BS for one weekend lol,
Yeah, in a year or so my daughter will have her driver's license so that should help a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan
Cub Scouts sounds fun even for the dads.
Oh yeah, I've had a lot of fun with Jack, first in Cubs and now in Boy Scouts, but it can get hectic with church youth, school, and flag football (starting in a month or so) all at once. This was the first weekend campout I didn't go along for, though he did a week-long campout last summer where I just came up for 1 day in the middle of the week. He got kinda homesick during that one, but seems to have done fine for just a 36-hour one this weekend.

Old
  (#6)
Redline68 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Weekend report 1/30-2/1 2009 - 02-02-2009, 09:46 PM

Sounds like fun. My son is visiting troops right now to make his decision for when he completes cub scouts in a couple months.

Old
  (#7)
cubis is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Weekend report 1/30-2/1 2009 - 02-03-2009, 12:58 AM

i watched the superbowl. i had no particular favorite but i do like the underdog and was kinda rooting for the cards, poor guys had their first superbowl and didn't win it :/

Old
  (#8)

Default Re: Weekend report 1/30-2/1 2009 - 02-03-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline68
Sounds like fun. My son is visiting troops right now to make his decision for when he completes cub scouts in a couple months.
Yeah, that's a big decision, Jack went through it last year. There was a bit of a period of adjustment from going from eldest to youngest, sorta like the move from elementary to middle school he's also going through.

This is a really good troop, very together and financially doing OK-- they have a nice big trailer they haul all the camping gear in, and then a second open flat-bed type (with steel mesh walls) that they use to haul the poles they use for lashing and building (things like "monkey bridges" and zip lines). However, it's also a "Scout-run" troop, meaning that during the campouts, the adults have their separate cooking/camp area and the kids have theirs. Obviously, they're right next to each other, and the kids can come over and ask for help, and we can keep an eye on them, but still each of the kids' patrols is in charge of planning and preparing all their own meals, setting up their cooking tent-fly, and such. Jack really enjoys camp cooking.

Old
  (#9)

Default Re: Weekend report 1/30-2/1 2009 - 02-03-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubis
i watched the superbowl. i had no particular favorite but i do like the underdog and was kinda rooting for the cards, poor guys had their first superbowl and didn't win it :/
Yeah, I was kinda rooting for the Cards too. Because they're underdogs, but also, since they're the old St. Louis franchise. My folks are both from southern Illinois where everyone is a Cardinals (baseball) fan.

My son Jack was rooting for the Cards and took that last-minute defeat pretty hard.

Old
  (#10)
cubis is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Weekend report 1/30-2/1 2009 - 02-03-2009, 12:13 PM

yeah, i can imagine how the team feels! and at the very end they were fairly close to winning it but couldn't get to the end zone