Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Welcome > The Pit
Reload this Page Gig report w/pics!
The Pit General discussion - 18 and over recommended

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Gig report w/pics!
Old
  (#1)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Gig report w/pics! - 03-01-2010, 02:28 PM

Spent all day Saturday at the UF Music Law Conference, which I and our lead singer got in for free ($140 value) in return for playing in the MLC Showcase later that night.

So after the conference, went home, ate, and loaded up the guitars (the amps and other accessories had been loaded the preceding night at the office, where I keep most of my gear). I had dressed the part of musician (rather than lawyer) for the conference, so I didn't have to change clothes. Drove into town with my daughter (and designated driver) for 8 p.m. soundcheck. Even though we were 5 minutes early, the rest of the Hotheads were already there.

I've had problems with the owner/stage manager at this club (we were booked by the Music Law Conference, not the house) but tonight he kept his distance, as with my next most recent show there (with Crash Pad last year), it seems he's less willing to be an asshole when my 16-year-old daughter is around (and, except when onstage or in the can, I pretty much keep her close when we go out to shows; never out of sight really).

Was sweating playing to an empty room because the MLC had a cocktail party at another club a couple blocks away that ran until 9, and we were the first of 4 bands. Fortunately the house cut us some slack and by the time we went on a decent number of people had arrived.

Set went well, and our unofficial band photog came and got some good shots, which capture the stage lighting nicely, although he also took a number of "safeties" with flash, which look like poo by comparison. Our former bassist, who used to tour with Marty Balin's post-Starship solo band, played this show so I could play lead. I lent him my bass rig as he has a 1x15 combo, and the SVT 8x10 just looks and sounds better on a big stage. The soundguy at this club is great, and he both lined and mic'd the fridge cab.

I used a new rig which I think I'll use for all Hotheads shows now. First part of the rig is guitar (in this case my Tex-Mex Tele) into Super Champ XD (so I can use the footswitch for the dirt channel, and onboard reverb, thus the only pedal onstage is the SCXD 2-button switcher) 1x10. Then I lined out from the SCXD to my '60's Sunn 200S head driving my DIY Celestion 2x12 open-back cab, and that cab was mic'd and into the PA. Since the stage there is big, I put the Sunn/2x12 in the backline, but the SCXD up near me as kind of a stage monitor. This is similar to what I'd been doing in church (only at much higher volume for the Hotheads) , and it worked great.

The set went real well, and we got a lot of compliments. Stayed for the next 2 bands and part of the last. All were good at what they did. My daughter (who is a bassist) enjoyed the next band after us primarily because that band's bassist was not only good but "gorgeous." Hmm, hafta keep an eye on that chile.

In the penultimate band, the bassist was an old acquaintance of mine, who previously played in the local punk band No More, which Crash Pad has gigged with many times. About 3 songs from the end of their set, their lead singer broke a string on his acoustic-electric but had no backup and asked if anybody had a spare guitar. Since I was right in front of the stage anyhow, I asked if he wanted a Tele or a Les Paul, ran out to the Rockmobile, got the Tele, and he finished the set with my guitar. Was kinda glad he said Tele, since the LP was my Classic and the most expensive one I own.

All in all a fun night, my daughter drove home so as to be in compliance with all applicable laws. As ever, your comments on my poseritude are welcomed and expected, although the photog didn't get any of our closer, with the usual knee-drop/exhaustion lying on floor at end of song shenanigans. Will bump with photos as they're uploaded.