Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Welcome > The Pit
Reload this Page Weekend report!
The Pit General discussion - 18 and over recommended

Re: Weekend report!
Old
  (#21)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Weekend report! - 10-17-2008, 11:04 AM

Chaz, did your other dog get back?

In other news, weekend coming up again, yay!

What are your plans my peeps?

I shall be here (and incommunicado vis-a-vis las computadoras):

Happy Friday folks!

Hopefully I'll have some pics of the weekend by Monday or so. The old beater acoustic 12 is going along, so there shall be tunes in the woods!

Old
  (#22)

Default Re: Weekend report! - 10-20-2008, 08:25 AM

Well, I went camping at Wekiwa Spirngs, but I can't find the cable for the camera I took pics with. So I'll wait on making my report until I can get the pix out of the camera and do it up proper.

Howzabout you lot?

Old
  (#23)

Default Re: Weekend report! - 10-27-2008, 09:28 AM

OK, first a quick report for this weekend, then I'll recap the Wekiwa Springs trip, w/pics!

This weekend we did the usual car-park thing for Saturday's UF-UK football game. Got home around 1:30 or so and by then the Wildcats were already toast. Hope the Gators have something left in the tank for Jahjaw next weekend at the Cocktail Party! Sunday we went to church and Jack acolyted again (see pic on first page). It was Reformation Sunday, which is a big deal in Lutheran churches, 95 Theses and all that. Unfortunately that meant that the "blended" service was even less blended than usual--ONE contemporary song, and, as usual no electric guitar or bass.

In the afternoon I fixed the kids bikes and aired up the tires and watched a little NFL.

Last night the HotHeads had practice, as a 3-piece. Looks like I'll probably be playing bass the next show unless we can get our former bassistto sit in. We're probably going to do at least one, maybe 2, Warren Zevon covers. For sure "Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me" at a minimum. That song is fun to sing, Hoyt, our lead singer, tends to sing it in his lower register and me in my higher (such as it is) so it sounds pretty cool together.

Wekiwa Recap in next post!

What about y'all's weekends?

Old
  (#24)

Default Re: Weekend report! - 10-27-2008, 09:31 AM

Two weekends ago I went camping with El Krashpadito and his Scout troop to Wekiwa Springs. Here's some pics and stuff.

Stopped at the turnpike's Okahumpka service plaza on the way down for a bathroom break, and they had some sort of "official greeter" guy who let the kids pitch pennies. Here' Jack and his friends Tim and Derrick:

We arrived well after dark Friday night. Pitch black outside. On the way in we saw this sign (this photo taken the next day):

Here's the campsite (taken Sunday morning after the weather turned cool), adults in foreground, Shark patrol (newer Scouts) behind, older Scouts in distance:

Saturday morning, after breakfast, we got in the vehicles and went to a different part of the park and pulled Ceasar weed (a non-native invasive plant) for several hours, that's Jack on the left:

After the weed-pulling we returned to camp for lunch. Then a 4-mile (round trip) hike to the springs. I just put my feet in as I did not want to trudge back soaking wet or bother with changing clothes. Jack and the other scouts did go swimming though, even though it was overcast. I did take a shower in the outdoor shower stalls back at camp before dinner though. That spring water was cold!

I didn't take any shots of the springs but you can see what they look like a few posts above.

After dinner we had some speakers talk about the history of the Wekiva River (springs are spelled "Wekiwa," river is with a "v") and Native Americans, including paleo-Indians and the later Miccosukee and Timucuan tribes. Saw a lot of arrowheads and spear points, some were ancient and others had been made by the speakers. One of the speakers, David White Wolf, is a Native American, and at the end of the presentation he did the traditional men's dance that shows how the wolf taught the Indians to hunt. Here is David in full regalia:

More pics in another post.

Old
  (#25)

Default Re: Weekend report! - 10-27-2008, 09:33 AM

Here's some more pics.

This is the Troop's trailer (taken Sunday morning packing out), we packed up the food every night so as not to attract bears:

Here's Jack and his friend Tim:

Here's some wild turkeys I snuck up on while we were pulling Ceasar weed (sorry it's a little blurry):

Here's the back of the Rockmobile packed up for the return trip. That skinny blue bag on the top is the first time I've managed to get my tent back in the bag it came in!

Let's hear about your weekends!

Old
  (#26)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Weekend report! - 10-27-2008, 11:50 AM

Must be warm weather over there. Here is cold and rainy/sleet. Suppose to snow today and tomorrow. Not looking forward to winter.

Did you see any bear? It appears that you saw a wolf =)

This weekend, my wife and I were exploring more music and bands.

We got turned on to "Black Stone Cherry" Hell and High Water, That song is just great on so many levels. I really like the live unplugged version too.

A couple others to check out is:

Chris Cornell's "Billie Jean" (Micheal Jackson cover) - This song is totally rearranged done acoustic. Very great work by Cornell.

David Cook (from Amrerican Idol) did Chris Cornell's cover version of "Billie Jean" - you can find these on youtube. Worth a listen. My wife, who was born in 1983 and doesn't understand Micheal Jackson and his pop music absolutely loves these remakes of "Billie Jean", but doesn't like the original.

Some more great Black Stone Cherry song to check out is:
-Lonely Train
-Shooting Star
-Rain Wizard

Here is Hell and High Water -
http://www.youtube.com/v/xNPKSaa9L2w...4abd6&border=1

Here is the live acoustic version -
http://www.youtube.com/v/kjFO2UP5IKQ...4abd6&border=1

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#27)

Default Re: Weekend report! - 10-27-2008, 01:06 PM

Cool.

Yes, it's still warm here. During the campout of over a week ago, Friday night and during the day Saturday was uncomfortably hot, though overcast and humid. Saturday night we got a smidge of mist come through with a cool front, and it was a little cool Sunday morning. For the past week it's now perfect weather, warm afternoons and cool nights. It got down to 46 F this morning.

Hopefully will be like this for another month before the cold weather comes in in fits and starts.

Old
  (#28)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Weekend report! - 10-28-2008, 09:45 PM

Me, Friday night(after work), went a practiced with some young boys that needed a guitarist to sit in for them while their's heals. It seems he broke his arm riding a motorcycle knock on some wood, I don't do the same or worse. Saturday went to work, and after went and practiced agian with the same young lads(all range in age from 15-17) turned them on to some old 80's Metal, and they plan on doing a couple of the songs I showed them in their upcoming gig(a party at a friends house). Sunday had a baby shower for my sons wife, everybody wanted me to play something for them so I played the latest song I've been practicing a lot "Little Fighter" buy White Lion. Sunday nite, went a jammed with my guy's I usually jam with, got to try out the other guitarists Mesa Express 5:50. That thing is freaking awesome . All those camping pics remind me of the races at Barber's Motorsport Park. I go to at least 1 AMA Superbike race(usually in April), one WERA motorcycle race(weekend warriors, soon I'll be trying my hand at this) 1-3 Vintage races, 1-3 SCCA races, and the Rolex250 race every year. They're building a new motocross track this year too, so I'll be checking those out as well when it's completed. My wife LOVES the Vintage Motorcycle and car Museum(I like it too) it's 5 stories of motorcycles, literally. If I find some pics I know my wife saved on a disc somewhere, I'll post them in another post.

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Old
  (#29)

Default Re: Weekend report! - 10-29-2008, 07:00 AM

Those pics sound cool!

Definitely post 'em if you find 'em.

Old
  (#30)

Default Re: Weekend report! - 11-01-2008, 03:12 PM

On Halloween I watched 4 movies on AMC channel, all based on H.P. Lovecraft stories: The Haunted Palace, Die Monster Die, the Shuttered Room, and the Dunwich Horror.

I'm steering clear of anyone called Whitley, Wheatly, or Wately.

But Carol Lindley=Babelicious.

And my daughter carved us this outstanding pumpkin: