Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Welcome > The Pit > Music
Reload this Page What's in your mp3/cd player right now?
Music Discuss everything about the bands and songs you love and hate.

Re: What's in your mp3/cd player right now?
Old
  (#11)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: What's in your mp3/cd player right now? - 06-05-2008, 12:43 AM

lol i meant no offence Brian :-D and still don't but.......

ninja's older music listed are "classics" or idols if you will, people who listen to cradle of filth, lamb of god, children of bodom commonly listen to hendrix, or metallica, megadeth etc.... BUT people who primarily listen to hendrix etc RARELY listen to cradle of filth, lamb of god, children of bodom (myself included lol)

MxPx makes one wonder, but the cheap trick deffinatly dates ya :-D
maybe not the specific album, BUT you added the "nice return to form" hehe.

on a similar point the me saying the new weezer is a nice return to the old sound, i grew up on the blue album :-\ weezer really is an underrated band IMO, the song may be cheesey and too "poppy", but those guitar tones are to die for.

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Old
  (#12)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What's in your mp3/cd player right now? - 06-05-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydmoline
lol i meant no offence Brian :-D and still don't but.......
None taken.

Quote:
ninja's older music listed are "classics" or idols if you will, people who listen to cradle of filth, lamb of god, children of bodom commonly listen to hendrix, or metallica, megadeth etc.... BUT people who primarily listen to hendrix etc RARELY listen to cradle of filth, lamb of god, children of bodom (myself included lol)
Cheap Trick is a classic band in the power pop genre. As much as Hendrix is to acid rock or Metallica or Megadeth are in metal. A 22-year-old who is into power pop is going to listen to Cheap Trick. And yes, although I don't know too many 22 year olds (at least in real life) I do know of such a person.

I'm wondering where the "primarily" bit in your analysis comes from though. The OP is simply what's in your player "right now," not primarily.

Quote:
MxPx makes one wonder, but the cheap trick deffinatly dates ya :-D
maybe not the specific album, BUT you added the "nice return to form" hehe.
Why would a young power pop fan not know about their classic albums (Self-titled, In Color, Budokan, Dream Police) and be able to compare something from '97? You can't turn on a classic rock station and not hear those.

I wouldn't presume that a person listening to Led Zep was as old as Robert Plant. I see kids running around malls all the time wearing Zep t-shirts.

If I had said I was listening to Handel's Water Music would you figure I was several hundred years dead?

Old
  (#13)

Default Re: What's in your mp3/cd player right now? - 06-05-2008, 11:29 AM

Currently: "Rock*Punk*Hardcore," a 2004 Repossession Records compilation/sampler, with 2 songs each from 4 of their artists. I picked it up because it was free and because I'd seen lots of visuals of the female-fronted NYC band Slunt and wanted to hear more of their music.

Anyhow, the first half of the album doesn't appeal to me a bit. That probably dates me. The Slunt stuff is OK, and the last 2 cuts by a band called the Fight are decent modern punk, with exception of one spoken word/semi-rap bit in one of the songs, which just sounds silly.

Next up: The Seven Deadly Sins of Sick Dick and the Volkswagens, a local band I was in for about a minte and a half. (I'm not on the CD.)

Old
  (#14)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What's in your mp3/cd player right now? - 06-05-2008, 05:42 PM

Hey dudes, if it helps any, I'm 38yrs old. I just happen to listen to a lot of different genres of music. I've even gone out and bought Cd's of artists I didn't really listen too when they were out(new) but remember hearing them cruising around in someone else's car IE: The Police, Men at Work, Duran Duran, etc. I don't try to play this stuff, but it's fun to listen to and reminisce about "the good old days", you know, old friends, old girlfriends, parties I went to, the first time I got drunk,stoned,layed, you get the picture. :smilez:

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Old
  (#15)

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: What's in your mp3/cd player right now? - 06-05-2008, 06:01 PM

i'm shutting up now, lol because i am surprised that a 38 year old would be listening to metal that new, and aggressive.... it's too new and aggressive for me lol and i'm 28, guess i'm surprised since most of the people i know are stuck in their teens, e.g. listen to the music they listened to in high school, and nothing older or newer than that (typically).... a small portion of the population i realise, but i figured that was the norm.

Old
  (#16)

Default Re: What's in your mp3/cd player right now? - 06-05-2008, 06:49 PM

That's how I like it....people at work trip out when they here me listening to COB or Iced Earth. When they here me play the same on my guitar, it's even funnier to watch their expressions at first, and then they start thrashing!

Always scoop the mids!!

Old
  (#17)

Default Re: What's in your mp3/cd player right now? - 06-05-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
i'm shutting up now, lol because i am surprised that a 38 year old would be listening to metal that new, and aggressive.... it's too new and aggressive for me lol and i'm 28, guess i'm surprised since most of the people i know are stuck in their teens, e.g. listen to the music they listened to in high school, and nothing older or newer than that (typically).... a small portion of the population i realise, but i figured that was the norm.
Nah, don't shut up Floyd! It's an endearing quality, but you worry too much about hurting my feelings. I' m a 50-year old who stll listens to the punk rock, for heaven's sake, I've got thick skin!

Me, I listen to a lot of stuff, from the 50's through today in the rock genre. Though most maintream rock from the 90's on isn't a big fave. I like old school punk rock, garage rock, a lot of 60's rock, rockabilly/50's rock, roots rock, power pop, some alt-country...

Old
  (#18)

Default Re: What's in your mp3/cd player right now? - 06-06-2008, 02:29 AM

i'm not worried about hurting anyones feelings lol, i just don't like to piss people off and start flame wars, it always bugs me when there is a convo going along and i think all is good and i say the wrong thing one time, and don't even mean any malice, but someone mis-understands and takes offence and it becomes a war, i have no desire to argue about trivial things, but i do like to debate certain topics, as long as the discussion stays mature

i have peculiar musical tastes lol i like different musics from different eras, like the 60's garage rock / psychedelic rock shiver, blue cheer, the amboy dukes etc. the 70's progressive rock / metal led zeppelin, pink floyd, black sabbath the 80's i really like alot of new wave / synth oriented stuff like depeche mode, tubeway army, prince ( i know, no flaming please) ironicly IMO rock basically slumped, in the 80's nothing good really happened IMO until guns n' roses came out, then there was a flood of decent bands, 90's once again not much in rock or metal worth of my time, BUT alternative rock blossomed and i listened to the pixies, dinosaur Jr actually those guys are from the 80's but i didn't discover them until the early 90's flaming lips, jane's addiction, and RHCP, current era there is some newer metal coming out i really like especially with the metal genre expanding, the new stoner metal, and doom metal stuff i really like, the sword, monster magnet, goatsnake was really good i liked them but they are no longer together and never got signed, funny how tastes cycle like that heavy to light to heavy again.......

Old
  (#19)

Default Re: What's in your mp3/cd player right now? - 06-06-2008, 07:17 AM

Everything is one big vicious cycle man. +1 on some of the bands you mentioned too!

Always scoop the mids!!

Old
  (#20)

Default Re: What's in your mp3/cd player right now? - 06-06-2008, 08:17 AM

Next up: Hitmen 3, Bubbling Under, from 1994.

Dunno how to explain them. I thik they';re from somewhere in Scandinavia.