Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Gear > Amps
Reload this Page buying a new amp help.
Amps Amp and rig talk

buying a new amp help.
Old
  (#1)
n00b!
big_paul_ski is on a distinguished road

Default buying a new amp help. - 07-07-2009, 11:00 PM

hey all. im new to the forum so here goes. im am getting back into music after a ten year lay off and man have things changed. i had some finantial hardships and had to sell all of my gear and never replaced it. now finally the proces begins.
i have an ibanez js1000 on the way and now im looking into buying an amp. the type of music i play the most is rock. tons of van halen, satriani, george lynch stuff, old ozzie with randy rhodes etc. do you think this amp will suit my style? thanks in advance for the help.
ive been looking into the VOX valvetronix series. i will be playing at home for now but hope to someday get back into a band. im liking the VT50 and VT100. could i get away with the VT100 for at home play by myself? the VT100 has an effects loop and the VT50 doesnt and a review i read said that made his pedals sound like shit. thanks in advance guys. so your thought please.
paul

Re: buying a new amp help.
Old
  (#2)
n00b!

Default Re: buying a new amp help. - 07-08-2009, 11:30 AM

any help guys?

Old
  (#3)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: buying a new amp help. - 07-08-2009, 01:41 PM

Vox is a great choice. Whether if you want 50 watt or 100 watt would depend on what you desire. The 50w should be loud enough for band practice but may need to be mic'd in medium to mid size gigs. I had a Vox Tonelab that appears to be the same as a the VT series amps and it was great. It produced such quality and cool tones, from jazz, pickin, acoustic to rock and hard rock tones. You could design your own tone to your own personal taste.

I would recommend Vox to anyone looking for a flexible amp. Oh, and they are priced at a great price.

Hope this helps.

Also check out the Peavey Vypyr and Crate V-series. I like to go to youtube and search for sound clips on different amps. So you can get a sense of their voicing and tone.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#4)
n00b!

Default Re: buying a new amp help. - 07-08-2009, 01:49 PM

thanks so much for the advice!