Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Welcome > The Pit > Political Party
Reload this Page The CEO of Gibson was explaining how he turned the company around
Political Party Share your thoughts on political and social issues.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
The CEO of Gibson was explaining how he turned the company around
Old
  (#1)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default The CEO of Gibson was explaining how he turned the company around - 03-13-2008, 12:51 AM

This is an old article that I found on the net.

So what did Gibson do to turn the company around?

USA TODAY: Did you do anything in particular with the products themselves?

JUSZKIEWICZ: Our employees wouldn't buy our products. They thought they were bad. One practice common in all companies was that if a product didn't make a certain quality level, you would sell it as a second. The problem was that dealers were not necessarily telling their consumers that seconds were seconds. So I got into the factory and I picked up a guitar. Got the employees around. "See this guitar," I said. "This guitar says Gibson on it, and it's not Gibson quality. So, here's what we do." I took the guitar, and I smashed it on the factory floor. I said any guitar that doesn't make the grade is going to be put in a pile, and we are going to take a chain saw to it every week. We are doing that to this day. We have Japanese dealers who just cry when they see the pile. It's a very small pile, though, now.

USA TODAY: What else did you do?

JUSZKIEWICZ: I said we are going to increase prices. Prices were ridiculously low. And people said, the price has been decreasing 20% a year, how can you reverse that? I said I'm just going to double the prices on a lot of models. I actually tested it and got an inverse price curve. Basically it showed that every time I raised prices a certain amount, volume would go up.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews