Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Welcome > The Pit
Reload this Page Who invented the 'smashing your guitar ' technique?
The Pit General discussion - 18 and over recommended

Re: Who invented the 'smashing your guitar ' technique?
Old
  (#11)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Who invented the 'smashing your guitar ' technique? - 06-21-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja636
Your all wrong. I invented it ! Smashed a Jackson USA Rhoads, Gibby Les Paul Black Beauty, and a few other "cheapos' in my time. Really regretted smashing the Jackson, not so with the Gibby, I thought it sucked at the time.
Haha, I was once in a band with another guitarist whose main axe was a Black Beauty:

If he'd have smashed it, I'd have smashed him!

Old
  (#12)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Who invented the 'smashing your guitar ' technique? - 06-21-2008, 05:23 PM

Yeah, I was 15 and didn't know what I had :wall:. I'd paid 450 for it at a pawnshop. You know what they say about hind-sight though.

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Old
  (#13)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Who invented the 'smashing your guitar ' technique? - 06-21-2008, 09:00 PM

Hows this... Ted Nugent invented shooting an electric guitar (normally hollow-body's) with a flaming arrow.

However, he never humped the guitar like Hendrix did... atleast not from what I have seen. Hendrix liked to poor lighter fluid on his Strat and lighting it up and doing all kinds of crazy stuff.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#14)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Who invented the 'smashing your guitar ' technique? - 06-21-2008, 09:39 PM

I had a friend that did the lighter fluid thing to his Fender Mustang. It was awesome to watch "live". He regretted it later, cause his axe was all burnt on the back. You gotta love the wisdom of youth!

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Old
  (#15)

Default Re: Who invented the 'smashing your guitar ' technique? - 06-21-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan
Hows this... Ted Nugent invented shooting an electric guitar (normally hollow-body's) with a flaming arrow.

However, he never humped the guitar like Hendrix did... atleast not from what I have seen. Hendrix liked to poor lighter fluid on his Strat and lighting it up and doing all kinds of crazy stuff.
Did he do the lighter thing more than once?

The only time I remeber seeing he'd done that was at Woodstock.

He and Pete were always trying to outdo each other, and the Who were also on the same bill there.

Old
  (#16)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Who invented the 'smashing your guitar ' technique? - 06-22-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
Quote:

He and Pete were always trying to outdo each other, and the Who were also on the same bill there.
I can find 3 times documented when he blazed his Stratocasters-

1 here-- On March 31, 1967, when, booked to appear as one of the opening acts on the Walker Brothers farewell tour, he set his guitar on fire at the end of his first performance, as a publicity stunt. This guitar has now been identified as the "Zappa guitar" (previously thought to have been from Miami), which has been partly refurbished. Later, as part of this press promotion campaign, there were articles about Rank Theatre management warning him to "tone down" his "suggestive" stage act, with Chandler stating that the group would not compromise regardless.

2 here-- Hendrix bought many Strats and gave some away as gifts. Some were stolen, and a few were destroyed during his notorious guitar-smashing finales. Hendrix actually set fire to two of them, the first time on the opening night of his first UK tour. The only other documented guitar-burning incident was at the Monterey Pop festival, his USA debut appearance as the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

References - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_Hendrix

It's funny that he was warned to "tone down" his "suggestive" stage act

Damn I love Rock-n-Roll!

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#17)

Default Re: Who invented the 'smashing your guitar ' technique? - 06-22-2008, 08:53 AM

Looks like I confused Montery with Woodstock, shoulda wiki'd!

Thanks for the info.

Old
  (#18)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Who invented the 'smashing your guitar ' technique? - 06-23-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
Quote:

yeah hendrix also burned one up at monterey pop festival, isle of wight, the astoria, hendrix lit them up alot, only smashed a few though

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Old
  (#19)
n00b!
JulieT is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Who invented the 'smashing your guitar ' technique? - 07-25-2008, 08:23 AM

My heart breaks with you MrSandman. I can't stand it when a beauty is smashed, they can give it to me if they don't want it. Save the guitars!