Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Musicians & Artists > Promote Your Band
Reload this Page Playing in a theatre production - any advice?
Promote Your Band Advertise your band and upcoming events.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Playing in a theatre production - any advice?
Old
  (#1)
mmcquain is on a distinguished road

Default Playing in a theatre production - any advice? - 02-20-2010, 12:51 PM

I got the call last week to play guitar for the local theatre production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" next month. I've got Christmas productions before at church but never an entire Broadway type show. So do you guys (or gals) have any advice?

I picked up the score tonight - 82 pages with 23 total musical cues... so I have my work cut out for me as the show starts March 12 and thru the last weekend of March (performances on Friday and Saturday nights and a Sunday afternoon matinee each weekend for 3 weeks in a row). It should be a lot of fun but I'm also feeling a little out of my league!

The 2 main numbers for the guitar are a 50's style Elvis song ("Song of the King") and some nice guitar lines in a softer ballad ("One More Angel in Heaven / Hoedown"). However, there are guitar cues on every song. The score is actually written for 2 guitarists splitting electric and acoustic parts. I'll be switching between the 2 as I'm the only guitarist. The band is made up of piano, keyboards, guitar, drums, bass and a couple of horn players so obviously we'll not have the full Broadway orchestra but it should still be cool.

Obviously, I need to make sure my gear is in top working order. I'll be playing my Strat, CS-356 and Breedlove acoustic. I just got done reworking my pedalboard and my gig bag is stocked with extra strings, tubes, etc. And I'll be woodshedding over the score for the next couple of weeks. But what other advice do you all have? I'd love to hear from some of you who've played these types of shows before.

Oh, and if any of your are in the Tampa Bay area I invite you to come to the show. It's at the Tarpon Springs Performing Arts Center from March 12-28. Check out this link for details:
http://www.tarponarts.org/SpringEventstarpon.htm

MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain