Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Gear > Gear Building & Customization
Reload this Page Anyone know how to work with Tolex/vinyl?
Gear Building & Customization Discuss amp building, making pedals and modding guitars in here.

Re: Anyone know how to work with Tolex/vinyl?
Old
  (#11)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Anyone know how to work with Tolex/vinyl? - 09-16-2008, 10:49 PM

Well so far I've got it all peeled off, I used a heat gun for this, but the damp cloth and iron probably would have been cheaper(had to buy the heat gun ). It's been raining everyday here since hurricane season started so I haven't been able to go outside and start recovering it. I got some stuff in the automotive field known as"Gorilla Snot". It's basically just weather stripping glue for cars. Nice and yellow. Really does look like snot, and sticky as hell. You have to use mineral spirits or some similar solvent(gas works great, although kinda expensive right now) to wash it off your fingers. When I'm finished I'll post some pics(if my wife lets me use her camera again), and then you'll see the color I chose. Oh yeah,... forgot, I'm still using this amp too. After I peeled off all the old tolex, I put it back together to go do a little show for my religious group a couple of weekends ago.

Edit: I have to add these little tales of woe that occured during this project. NEVER use your wifes hair dryer to heat up tolex so you can peel it off. It was only designed to run for more than a few minutes at a time, and will go up in a puff of smoke, nessecitating the purchase of a heat gun, AND new hair dryer for your wife . Always remember what resources you have available to you. I got halfway through sanding the excess glue of the cab...by hand...when I remembered I have an 18 volt power sander . Hope these tips help anyone else thinking of doing a project like this. :gna:

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Re: Anyone know how to work with Tolex/vinyl?
Old
  (#12)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Anyone know how to work with Tolex/vinyl? - 09-17-2008, 11:01 PM

LMAO!

Yeah, just share the heat gun... it'd make a killer hair dryer

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#13)
n00b!
bleachpunk87 is on a distinguished road

Default 02-03-2011, 02:54 PM

go to youtube and watch the MESA factory tour. they show how cabs are made start to finish. yowards the end it shows how the tolex is cut out and how its glued and smoothed over. check it out

Old
  (#14)
n00b!
siddle is on a distinguished road

Default 04-12-2011, 02:25 PM

I recently bought some Fender tweed and I sent it to a case builder for some new Stringmaster cases but I’m having a tough time to get him to come up with some cases.

Absolute Steel— Steel building and carport kits with nationwide jobsite delivery. Easy DIY—America’s easiest to install building system. Watch the video & see for yourself.