Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Electric Guitars
Reload this Page Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's?

Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's?
Old
  (#31)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-06-2008, 09:39 PM

i have only heard 2 duncan designed pups, and neither of them was impressive, the one i own isn't bad but the epiphone stock pick-up was better IMO, and one was in someone elses guitar, if it were mine, i would have chucked out the window....... it squealed uncontollably microphonic feedback, and was potted in wax.

the SG i am dealing with is a modern era special e.g. no pickguard, but i want to trick it out if i get it, get it a 2nd set of volume / tone knobs, and a pick guard, so i'd be a bolt-on G-200 lol

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Old
  (#32)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-07-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydmoline

the SG i am dealing with is a modern era special e.g. no pickguard, but i want to trick it out if i get it, get it a 2nd set of volume / tone knobs, and a pick guard, so i'd be a bolt-on G-200 lol
That'd be a ton of work to upgrade a guitar that's at the bottom of the Epi food chain to begin with and whose worth will be forever impeded by the bolt-on neck.

Why not just get a G400 to begin with? I found one 4 or 5 years ago for $175 in a pawn. They already have dual controls, all you would have to do is switch out pickups if you wanted to.

Old
  (#33)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-08-2008, 11:19 AM

because i have it, i don't need to buy a new one, i traded a BOSS BF-3 flanger for it...... besides, bolt on necks don't really make a diff, it just like me an maple ply tops, bolt on Vs set neck don't make much difference, not as much as everyone makes it sound like , it just the IDEA of a set neck that people get off on, like me, solid maple top, maple ply top, they really aren't going to sound different, it's just the IDEA of it being a maple ply top.

long story short i already have it, and future value means nothing to me or i'd not even mess with epiphones at all, but i have it i might as well make it useful to me.

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Old
  (#34)
MatrixClaw is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to MatrixClaw Send a message via Yahoo to MatrixClaw  
Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-24-2008, 06:08 PM

My Ibanez has a Tone Zone in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck (which I absolutely LOVE).

My Faded SG has an EMG 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck.

My Strat has a Tone Zone S in the bridge, HS-2 in the middle and YJM in the neck.

My '61 SG has a JB in the bridge and '59 in the neck.

Randall RM4/Mesa 2:90
Ampeg VH-140C
Duncan Convertible

[COLOR=Gray]Marshall 1960
Genz Benz G-Flex
Lopo 2x12

Ibanez RG3120 Prestige
Jackson RR5
Edwards E-LP-92SD
Aria Nexter

[URL=http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MatrixClaw/blog/23970/][SIZE=5]Mesa/Boogie Price

Old
  (#35)

Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-24-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
My Ibanez has a Tone Zone in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck (which I absolutely LOVE).

My Faded SG has an EMG 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck.

My Strat has a Tone Zone S in the bridge, HS-2 in the middle and YJM in the neck.

My '61 SG has a JB in the bridge and '59 in the neck.
Tone Zones and EMG's; you must be bringing the hard rock/metal!

I'm personally more in the range of what your SG is packing.

Old
  (#36)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-24-2008, 06:30 PM

I don't mind most stock pickups. My Agile AL-3100 pups are good. The pups in my old Epi Standard (now floyd has it) were fine.

on a side note, I do like Seymour Duncans.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#37)

Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-24-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan
I don't mind most stock pickups. My Agile AL-3100 pups are good. The pups in my old Epi Standard (now floyd has it) were fine.

on a side note, I do like Seymour Duncans.
I have yet to yank pups out of a single guitar I have, and I have a few.

A couple of them are partscasters that were modded beofre I got them, but I didn't change them from how I acquired them.

I think I may not be as picky as some folks. Or maybe it's just laziness.

Old
  (#38)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-24-2008, 07:48 PM

My grandfather always told me... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I think there is a ring of truth to that.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#39)

Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-24-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan
My grandfather always told me... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I think there is a ring of truth to that.
Haha, I keep telling myself that's me, rather than it being laziness.

But so far I've only had one guitar with pickups I never really bonded with, some P-100 "stacked HB's" in a Les Paul Special I had. They weren't "bad," but they sure were not P-90's. Even though I'm not handy, I have done a few simple soldering tasks over the years, so I probably could've found some P-90's and dropped them in. Instead I just kept it around stock until a great deal on something more expensive came around. Fortunately the rhythm guitarist in my band had a woody for that black LP Special (it did look cool), so I sold it to him for what I paid for it, and used that dosh to get a great guitar I have no intention of modding (LP Classic).

So in my case, it probably is just laziness. :winkx:

Old
  (#40)
MatrixClaw is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to MatrixClaw Send a message via Yahoo to MatrixClaw  
Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-24-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
Tone Zones and EMG's; you must be bringing the hard rock/metal!
Haha, of course!

I do play lots of bluesy stuff as well though, which is where the SG with the Duncans and Strat come in :winkx:

Randall RM4/Mesa 2:90
Ampeg VH-140C
Duncan Convertible

[COLOR=Gray]Marshall 1960
Genz Benz G-Flex
Lopo 2x12

Ibanez RG3120 Prestige
Jackson RR5
Edwards E-LP-92SD
Aria Nexter

[URL=http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MatrixClaw/blog/23970/][SIZE=5]Mesa/Boogie Price