Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Welcome > The Pit
Reload this Page Cover of the "New Yorker".
The Pit General discussion - 18 and over recommended

Cover of the "New Yorker".
Old
  (#1)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default Cover of the "New Yorker". - 07-14-2008, 12:47 PM

Anyone seen it yet! I think its freakin AWESOME man!! Now they need to make one with McCain, as a marionette, with the oil companies pullin' his strings.

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Re: Cover of the "New Yorker".
Old
  (#2)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Cover of the "New Yorker". - 07-14-2008, 11:23 PM

I haven't seen it. Not sure what it is... is it on youtube? I recall last week one of McCain's boys called us, the American people, "whiny".

Gas prices are extreme, housing heat will become a concern this winter, food prices are driving up-- To them (politicians) I say, take a pay cut and give trucking companies huge tax breaks, get better relief programs for heating homes this winter.

/rant off :

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#3)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Cover of the "New Yorker". - 07-15-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan
I haven't seen it. Not sure what it is... is it on youtube? I recall last week one of McCain's boys called us, the American people, "whiny".

Gas prices are extreme, housing heat will become a concern this winter, food prices are driving up-- To them (politicians) I say, take a pay cut and give trucking companies huge tax breaks, get better relief programs for heating homes this winter.

/rant off :
Thats a big +1 dude! I don't know about where your at, but here you don't see ANY owner op's on the road anymore. It's all company and union trucks.

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Old
  (#4)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Cover of the "New Yorker". - 07-15-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I haven't seen it. Not sure what it is... is it on youtube?

It was sure to be mis-interpreted, as it appears Ninja has done, as ridiculing Obama.

In fact, the title of the issue is "The Politics of Fear." The intended purpose of the cover is not to mock Obama but to expose the ludicrous claims made by the Far Right "Swiftboater" types who simply tell the Big Lie over and over again (specifically, the most popular of these is that Obama is Muslim--- because hey, all those Muslims are are terrorists, ain't they? ) until some of the lesser intellects out there begin to believe it.

My grandmother-in-law has received some of their viral propaganda, which has all kinds of specific "facts," none of which are true, showing that Obama is not only a Muslim but also a supporter of terrorists. Unfortunately a lot of little old ladies believe anything they receive in an e-mail must be true, just like a lot of people think that anything that's said on TV must be true.

Old
  (#5)
Put up or shut up!

Default Re: Cover of the "New Yorker". - 07-15-2008, 11:58 AM

Was it a few weeks ago they were attacking Obama's patriotism because he wasn't wearing a tiny little flag pin on the color of his shirt? That's just ridiculuos.

I don't watch Mtv much, but having a daughter, I see some stuff. And it appears they are huge McCain supporters. I also feel some major news networks (like CNN / FOX) are favoring McCain.

Old
  (#6)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Cover of the "New Yorker". - 07-18-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Was it a few weeks ago they were attacking Obama's patriotism because he wasn't wearing a tiny little flag pin on the color of his shirt? That's just ridiculuos.

I don't watch Mtv much, but having a daughter, I see some stuff. And it appears they are huge McCain supporters. I also feel some major news networks (like CNN / FOX) are favoring McCain.
I haven't seen any MTV for quite awhile, but I'd be surprised if they were pro-McCain. In the past MTV has tried to stay neutral (obviously, no one can be totally neutral, even if they intend to) and instead simply promote that young people vote (the "Rock the Vote" campaign) for someone. That tends to end up favoring the Dems indirectly, since they often have younger "hipper" candidates and since young people tend to be more "liberal" than older people.

I'm sure Fox is backing McCain, the whole point of their "fair and balanced" reporting has always been to be a counterpoint to what they believe to be "liberal bias" in the media. CNN has been drifting right over the last few years because some of their viewers went to Fox when Fox became available; I haven't seen much of the CNN election coverage but I would guess they're somewhere in between Fox on the right and a network like ABC which is generally regarded as more lefty.

Old
  (#7)
Put up or shut up!

Default Re: Cover of the "New Yorker". - 07-18-2008, 12:28 PM

I seriously hope McCain isn't elected. I feel like he's Bush's evil dumb twin. He has Corporate written all over his forehead. "Pay me Millions and I will pass bills to make you even richer" persona.

I have respect for Obama. I know he's had his fair share of dirty fighting, but I think he's been more 'fair' and honest than the others.

I'm glad to see Hilary go, she come out clawing and biting, and that just disgusted me.

The guy I was really pullin' for was Joe Biden. He's a visionary, idealist with a no-bull-shit attitude. This was his second running for president, his first running probably hurt him this running, he was degraded with plagiarism. You know how the media and other candidates over 'hype' and bring such small errors to become life-tragedy, the world is going to self-destruct. In one of Joe's speeches he was accused of plagiarizing a speech by Neil Kinnock (1988 leader of British Labour Party). But get this, Biden had correctly credited the original author in all speeches but one, the one where he failed to make mention of the originator, he was crucified at the stake with branded with plagiarism.

That's what pisses me off about politics, the media is so 'biased' that they'll ruin a man over an error. -- i.e. Obama not wearing a flag pin on his collar. wtf?

Again, sorry for the rant and off topic. It's easy to run-off and ramble about politics now that we're so close for an unstable America to pick our amend or demise.