Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Welcome > The Pit > Music
Reload this Page Your Musical History
Music Discuss everything about the bands and songs you love and hate.

Re: Your Musical History
Old
  (#11)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Your Musical History - 07-02-2008, 02:43 PM

OK, so much for Smart Bomb I and II.

After Dave moved, a guy called Chris Sessums played two shows on guitar with Smart Bomb (contributing one song) and recorded some of our songs on his 8-track. Wade and Chris decided that they no longer wanted to play with the drummer Neil, who was the only other remaining original member besides Brian. Wade and Chris gave Brian an ultimatum that Neil would have to go, so Wade and Chris were sacked and Brian and Neil decided to find two new players.

Thus Smart Bomb IV came about, our first practice being October 23, 1991, and our first show on November 12. In on guitar was "Stu" Stuart, who had a kind of John Lennon voice with a sort of retro-Lenny Kravitz psychedelic bent to his writing. And on bass was Jahna Rain (whose real last name was Balk), who wrote garagy-punk stuff. Stu wrote by himself, like Brian, but Jahna also frequently collaborated with Brian; even drummer Neil got into the act, writing a song lyric that Brian helped fine-tune and wrote music to.

During this phase of the band the songwriting split was about 1/3 Brian, 1/3 Stu, and 1/3 Jahna. We continued playing the Hardback, plus the short-lived Club Velvet and a two-day stint at the Brass Mug in Tampa. Shortly after Stu and Jahna joined Neil moved to Jacksonville, but commuted down to Gainesville for weekend practices (the rest of the band would often have a drummerless "guitar practice" during the week). This version of the band lasted until mid-March 1992, when Jahna moved to Boston and Neil moved to Texas.

Sfaik no photographs exist of Smart Bomb III. Here's some of Smart Bomb IV, from 2 different shows back at our fave haunt the Hardback:

Old
  (#12)

Default Re: Your Musical History - 07-03-2008, 02:44 PM

Here's more pics of Smart Bomb IV. Here's Stu at a Hardback show. The grinning maniac to Stu's left is Jeff "Marlon" Barker, one of my former Camp 7 mates. Note the Camp 7 sticker just above and to our right of Marlon's head, over the bar light.

At the Hardback when the stage was "outside" (there were walls and a roof, but no heat, in a building adjacent to the actual bar building). We were freezing!

Still outside, but with the stage moved yet again (and in warmer weather, thank goodness):

Old
  (#13)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Your Musical History - 07-04-2008, 02:26 AM

Damn Brian, you have a lot of great history. I'm not sure if other members could match this. I ran out of history to talk about. HaHa... maybe I can make some more to contribute to the thread.... hopefully.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#14)

Default Re: Your Musical History - 07-04-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan
Damn Brian, you have a lot of great history. I'm not sure if other members could match this. I ran out of history to talk about. HaHa... maybe I can make some more to contribute to the thread.... hopefully.
What about the history of how gear-monkey came about?

Let's hear it!

Old
  (#15)

Default Re: Your Musical History - 07-07-2008, 09:41 AM

Here's a couple last pics of Smart Bomb IV. From a show at the Brass Mug in Tampa, which our bassist Jahna lined up. Had a great time. I've always enjoyed playing out of town, wish I could do more of it.

Old
  (#16)
n00b!
JulieT is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Your Musical History - 07-26-2008, 03:40 PM

Thanks for adding the section about people not in bands. I always wanted to do vocals but I never have the time. I had a weird beginning: My mom played guitar in church so I started to learn music with her. After I started listening to "old" rock, my horizons were opened. I love it all.

Old
  (#17)

Default Re: Your Musical History - 08-03-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieT
Thanks for adding the section about people not in bands. I always wanted to do vocals but I never have the time. I had a weird beginning: My mom played guitar in church so I started to learn music with her. After I started listening to "old" rock, my horizons were opened. I love it all.
Actually that's not a weird start at all. I started playing in front of people (albeit a small group that met in other people's homes) in an interdenominational high school group called Young Life. LOTS of early rockers began by singing or playing in church: Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard,Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, and of course the Rev. Al Green.

Just this week I went to a church band rehearsal at a church my family has been attending and is thinking about joining.