Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Electric Guitars
Reload this Page Epiphones arent so bad........

Re: Epiphones arent so bad........
Old
  (#11)
V-Type is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Epiphones arent so bad........ - 03-03-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydmoline
i have an epiphone les paul standard, i got it from ^mr sandman^ i has been "upgraded" somebody took out the epiphone neck pup and stuck a ducan designed 103 in it, the bridge pup is stock, i like the stock pup in mine, they are different pups the duncan and the stocker, the duncan is a little hotter, and a lot more bassy, abnormally bassy for a epiphone pup, or even a gibson pup, and it don't play with the tone knob as well as a stock epi pup does, but it's clearer sounding which is a plus, now the bridge pup is a low output stock epi pup, and it's not special with the knobs dimed, but start rolling the the tone knob back and i start to remember why it is i love les pauls so much...... the so called woman tone, what i a call ZZ top heaven, the tone that makes you "money for nothing" :-D the duncan can not do it, i don't know if it because it's too hot a pup, but there is a negligible difference between 10 and 0 on the tone with the duncan, there is a difference, but not like with the stock pup. the only beef i have with the epiphone is cheap assed maple PLYWOOD top...... a word to the wise if you want to refinish an epiphone CHEMICAL STRIPPER do not sand it....... or a black guitar is going to be your only option heh...... i did all the research i could on my guitar everything i read said it had a solid maple top, well my and gibson's deffinition of solid maple top appearantly differ to me solid maple means 1 2 or 3 pieces of joined maple, not 7-11 plys of venered maple if i had it to do all over again i'd get another epiphone, but i'd not sand it down, sound and playability are great, construction is where epiphones wane
Damn sorry too hear that.
I think a lot of guitars have maple plywood tops or veneers though. And archtop LP's are not something I think I could pull off refinishing my self either.
My Epiphone LP custom has a 1/4 inch top that appears to be on Mahogany. Mines black though. It weighs a tad shy of 10lbs as well. I took a good look at the inners when I swapped P'ups and rewire her.

Old
  (#12)
indytruckboy is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Epiphones arent so bad........ - 03-03-2008, 07:07 AM

I paid my dues on Epis. I am older and have a high paying job now. I only play high end.

You can say what you want. but.........

Sometimes I go hang out at the house we practice at and I play my singers Epis because I didn't bring a guitar. And I can definitly tell where my money goes. Night and day. We have the same stuff, too. Only mine is Gibson and his is Epi. LP loaded with the same EMGs. Night and day. But you guys think what you want.

He is doing better now as he went over to LTD.

Old
  (#13)
V-Type is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Epiphones arent so bad........ - 03-03-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indytruckboy
I paid my dues on Epis. I am older and have a high paying job now. I only play high end.

Sometimes I go hang out at the house we practice at and I play my singers Epis because I didn't bring a guitar. And I can definitly tell where my money goes. Night and day. We have the same stuff, too. Only mine is Gibson and his is Epi. LP loaded with the same EMGs. Night and day. But you guys think what you want.

I do agree with you for the most part. The Epiphone does Not feel like the Standard/Custom Gibsons LP I owned and Wish I still owned. But you can get a very close Gibson sactioned/designed Copy that for the most part resembles the Beloved and Very High $$$$ Gibsons Most cannot really afford.
I bought my Gibsons in the early 80's New and paid a whopping $1100 for New Gibson LPC 2 pickup Black Beauty with Stock Dimarzio Super D's and a LP Standard Honey Burst for for $800 new.
At todays prices I need $7000 to have them again. Sadly.
The Epi's for Me are a happy low buck medium. I just add Better pickups and hardware and I have a $500 ballpark sounding Gibson Copy.
All IMO of course and I have a few buds who also own multiple USA Gibsons,Fenders,Jacksons,Suhrs,etc.. and truly Wish I could justify spending the $$$$.
I know they are worth it though but kids and billls suck up a lot of $$$.
But one day........If that lotto hits.

Old
  (#14)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Epiphones arent so bad........ - 03-03-2008, 04:20 PM

well archtop LP is not all the complex to refinish, a little more work to sand them down to retain the contours than say a strat, but the over all process is much the same, problem arises when you sand them, on a ply top if you sand to far and blow through the top ply you can't sunburst, or trans finish them, since the second ply the gain goes the opposite way you do notice the hole it's flat and smooth but you can see the grain abruptly changes direction lol, black or solid finishes aren't a big deal no one will ever see the top, but sunbursts you do.

now had i known the top was ply i would have used a paint stripper and saved the ply wood from burn through but alas hind-sight is always 20/20, so now it's going to eventually get refinished black, what it originally was, i was just hoping to take a black LP and make it a cherry burst LP.... and so goes life

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Old
  (#15)

Default Re: Epiphones arent so bad........ - 03-04-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydmoline
well archtop LP is not all the complex to refinish, a little more work to sand them down to retain the contours than say a strat, but the over all process is much the same, problem arises when you sand them, on a ply top if you sand to far and blow through the top ply you can't sunburst, or trans finish them, since the second ply the gain goes the opposite way you do notice the hole it's flat and smooth but you can see the grain abruptly changes direction lol, black or solid finishes aren't a big deal no one will ever see the top, but sunbursts you do.

now had i known the top was ply i would have used a paint stripper and saved the ply wood from burn through but alas hind-sight is always 20/20, so now it's going to eventually get refinished black, what it originally was, i was just hoping to take a black LP and make it a cherry burst LP.... and so goes life
Just a word to the wise, the Gibson/Epiphone company only makes black guitars for one reason. To hide defunct wood.

Old
  (#16)

Default Re: Epiphones arent so bad........ - 03-04-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Type
Quote:
Originally Posted by indytruckboy

I do agree with you for the most part. The Epiphone does Not feel like the Standard/Custom Gibsons LP I owned and Wish I still owned. But you can get a very close Gibson sactioned/designed Copy that for the most part resembles the Beloved and Very High $$$$ Gibsons Most cannot really afford.
I bought my Gibsons in the early 80's New and paid a whopping $1100 for New Gibson LPC 2 pickup Black Beauty with Stock Dimarzio Super D's and a LP Standard Honey Burst for for $800 new.
At todays prices I need $7000 to have them again. Sadly.
The Epi's for Me are a happy low buck medium. I just add Better pickups and hardware and I have a $500 ballpark sounding Gibson Copy.
All IMO of course and I have a few buds who also own multiple USA Gibsons,Fenders,Jacksons,Suhrs,etc.. and truly Wish I could justify spending the $$$$.
I know they are worth it though but kids and billls suck up a lot of $$$.
But one day........If that lotto hits.

No see it doesnt. You buy a new Epi LP Standard. Plain. First off, its missing a key ingredient. A maple top. It has a maple veneer. DEFINITELY not the same.
Anyway, $450 there. No case. Add $100. Shatty pickups. Another $200. Pots and stuff are crap. $100 for a RS kit.
So now you are at $850. First off. For $850 you could have bought a superior LTD in the 400 to 500 series, w/case and been MUCH better off. But that's another story. So you do all that and you got something that may touch the soul of a Gibson LP. But it still doesn't play the same. It doesn't have that schmooz a Gibson does.
So you go get a setup. Dress the frets. New nut to replace the plastic hunk of sh.t.
Intonate after fixing the saddles.
Now you are getting there. Getting close but still a little out there. And your bill proabably went up about $150 for a pro setup, new nut, etc.....
Now you are at a grand. You have just about as money in trying to fix up a hunk then what the hunk is worth. That's like buying a new Ford Focus(example) for 17k and then putting 17k in parts on it to try to make it a Porsche. It's still gonna be a crappy Focus.
So you got a G in the guitar. YOu can buy a new, NEW, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded for $1500.
And its pretty much set.
And when you go to sell it. You will get more than the $300 bucks you would get for your $1000 Epiphone.
It's basicly like an investment.

Old
  (#17)

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Epiphones arent so bad........ - 03-04-2008, 09:13 AM

yeah prolly the reason now :-D originally the les paul only came in gold or black because that's what les paul wanted, his reasoning gold and black looked classy, or upper classed, while sunburst guitars looked mid-town, and like working man's guitars..... or so it has been said in various places

Old
  (#18)

Default Re: Epiphones arent so bad........ - 03-04-2008, 09:18 AM

yeah prolly the reason now :-D originally the les paul only came in gold or black because that's what les paul wanted, his reasoning gold and black looked classy, or upper classed, while sunburst guitars looked mid-town, and like working man's guitars..... or so it has been said in various places

Old
  (#19)
n00b!
Servant is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Epiphones arent so bad........ - 04-06-2008, 10:23 PM

Well, as an owner of both, I can't justify the money for the Gibby. That's just me though. Keep in mind that I own a Matsumoko Vantage Vs600 that will tear the doors off of just about any LP out there and I paid a hundred bucks for it. Just saying.....you do NOT always get what you pay for. IMO, Gibson is currently a joke and should be relegated to the people with money to play them and not a highly sought after guitar for the working players of the world. I also do all of my own work so I can replace electronics for about $10 or so and decent used pickup in the $100 range, guitar $300, case $75 used, and yeah - I'd like to see someone do that with a Gibson. Nice Klusons btw - couldn't stay in tune if they tried. And this coming from an owner.

Old
  (#20)
characterzero is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Epiphones arent so bad........ - 04-06-2008, 10:36 PM

Epis are really just alright in my book. If I wanted a guitar in that pricerange I'd look elsewhere. The problem with Gibsons is that most of them are really overpriced. I don't want to be paying that much just to have the Gibson name. I think the best way to go is to buy a used LP Studio. They can be had for only $500-600.