Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Gear > Gear Building & Customization
Reload this Page NBTD! (New Bobbin Toppers Day!)
Gear Building & Customization Discuss amp building, making pedals and modding guitars in here.

NBTD! (New Bobbin Toppers Day!)
Old
  (#1)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default NBTD! (New Bobbin Toppers Day!) - 09-23-2008, 08:46 AM

So anyhow I always thought that the black-bobbined open-coil humbuckers on my Les Paul Classic looked a little plain. Since the honeyburst comes with creme binding, creme pickup rings, and creme pickguard, I figured a creme/black zebra pickup would look cool.

Only problem: as you all know, I'm a notoriously cheap bastard. I'd already replaced a dead bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Custom V, and that alone could totally besmirch my cheap bastard cred for decades. So I wasn't about to change pickups just to have zebras instead of black.

The answer of course, is Bobbin Toppers, a little vinyl press-on cover that can make your pickup look any color you want. So I went to universaljems.com, here's the subpage for Bobbin Toppers:

http://www.universaljems.com/cart/bobbin.htm

Brian over there hooked me up with a couple of creme toppers, they're like $2 apiece, so all told with shipping my order was a whopping $6 or so. They came in a matter of days. They're a little tricky to get on, but once you've got 'em the way you want, from a foot away you'd never know your pickup wasn't the real deal.

Anyhow, for the before and after makeover shots! Here's Cassie before:

And here she is after:

Re: NBTD! (New Bobbin Toppers Day!)
Old
  (#2)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: NBTD! (New Bobbin Toppers Day!) - 09-23-2008, 11:22 AM

From looking at the picture, you'd never know that they're press on covers. Helll, I didn't even know they make those. (learn something new everyday :smilez: )

Great deal Brian, hell of an improvement for only $6 bones. My wife says she likes it too.. I really like this guitar. It makes me wanna start jammin out some "Sweet Child O mine"

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#3)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: NBTD! (New Bobbin Toppers Day!) - 09-23-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan
From looking at the picture, you'd never know that they're press on covers. Helll, I didn't even know they make those. (learn something new everyday :smilez: )

Great deal Brian, hell of an improvement for only $6 bones. My wife says she likes it too.. I really like this guitar. It makes me wanna start jammin out some "Sweet Child O mine"
Thanks. They come in all kinds of colors so a person can go the crazy green/purple Steve Vai-type route if they like, as well. And they peel off so no harm done to the guitar. They're pretty neat, took me forever to get around to trying them.

Old
  (#4)
MetalMac is on a distinguished road

Default Re: NBTD! (New Bobbin Toppers Day!) - 12-11-2008, 02:02 PM

Yeah that's pretty cool I like the zebra style