Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Gear > Amps
Reload this Page Hard rock sound from Marshall JCM900?
Amps Amp and rig talk

Hard rock sound from Marshall JCM900?
Old
  (#1)
musicgears is on a distinguished road

Question Hard rock sound from Marshall JCM900? - 07-15-2011, 02:41 PM

I have a Marshall JCM900 50-watt high gain dual-reverb model 4502 early Nineties 2x12 combo with stock Celestion G12T-75 speakers. I’m not getting a sound that I’m satisfied with -- there’s no bottom end. I’m thinking of changing the speakers to Celestion Vintage 30s. Will doing this improve the situation? If so, should I use eight- or 16-ohm speakers, and what difference would ohm rating make in the sound? My amp has a switch that lets me select either “8” or “4(16),” and I’m not sure what that does either.

Do you suggest replacing the tubes as well? I read that the 6CA7 would be a good replacement for the EL34. I play hard rock, mostly in a cover band, and I really love the early Van Halen sound. The Marshall half stack and the EVH stuff is out of my price range these days, so I’m trying some alternative (i.e., cheaper) ideas to get that sound I’m looking for.

Old
  (#2)
n00b!
Fender_man is on a distinguished road

Default 07-15-2011, 03:07 PM

These are all good questions. While others may disagree with me, I think that swapping the Celestion 75s for the Vintage 30s might actually backfire on you. Granted, the Vintage 30s will, in all likelihood, break up earlier than the 75s, but I think you could actually lose some of the bottom end that you’ve got presently with the 75 watters.

I think the 6CA7 is a good replacement for EL34, but I think of it as having a cleaner sound than the EL34, with less output distortion, which you may miss. In any event, I don’t think the 6CA7 will contribute any significant bottom end your sound. The fact that your amp has an open-back design is probably one of the biggest factors contributing to the absence of pronounced bottom end. I suggestion that you get closed-back cabinet -- either 2x12 or 4x12 -- and run it as an extension speaker to help enhance the low end. Check your amp’s impedance setting; if it’s set for eight ohms, leave it there when you employ the extension cab; if it’s set to four ohm, leave it at that setting when you run the extension cab.

I have a big Hardon 4 Guitars!

Old
  (#3)
n00b!
crowhue is on a distinguished road

Default 04-12-2012, 04:14 PM

The OHM setting wont help. I used to have one of those and it wasnt the greatest MArshall Ive ever heard. Ive got a JVM410 now that wipes the floor.

It might however be worth trying something like an MXR 6 band EQ pedal to give it more thud factor, or maybe a Blackstar HT-DISTX (pricey, I know). To get the right sound. Or go for a Mesa F50 which is fairly cheap and has a great metal sound.

GTR Music for great electric and acoustic guitars. Good old fashioned service and plenty of stock too.

Old
  (#4)
n00b!
beartronical is on a distinguished road

Default 01-07-2013, 09:06 AM

these speakers pack a ton of low end, they are actually the big brother to the speakers you currently have in your amplifier. These are the speakers i use in my amp builds and i detune and play heavy all of the time.

http://celestion.com/product/19/g12k100/

Check out my website
predator-music

Old
  (#5)
n00b!
beartronical is on a distinguished road

Default 01-07-2013, 09:15 AM

these speakers pack a ton of low end, they are actually the big brother to the speakers you currently have in your amplifier. These are the speakers i use in my amp builds and i detune and play heavy all of the time.

Check out my website
predator-music

Old
  (#6)
n00b!
MarsVoxhder is on a distinguished road

Default 02-07-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartronical View Post

Good choice of speaker. I was also going to recommend an E.Q. in the fx loop to boost low end. I had the 100 watt version of this amp. It too was thin sounding, I ended up selling it. One of the best modern Marshall combos I have heard has been the 50 watt JVM my buddy owns. It can be very thick and deep when needed.

Old
  (#7)
n00b!
danielpaul is on a distinguished road

Default 04-01-2018, 06:50 AM

I thought I'd be getting my old Marshall sound back, but apparently not? We're doing 70's arena/hard rock covers. Sounds like the JCM 900 might not be the bargain I thought it was? I've only played one for five minutes many years ago.

Now Cric booth Just Starting PSL Live Streaming free and Update about All Matches

Old
  (#8)
n00b!
richardcharles is on a distinguished road

Default 04-11-2018, 09:42 AM

I recently bought a used Marshall JCM 900 4500. I had it retubed and biased right after I bought it. The amp is awesome for any kind of rock, hard rock, blues, etc crunch sound, but I can't get a great modern metal type sound.

Now Cric booth Just Starting IPL2018 Live Streaming free and Update about All Matches

Old
  (#9)
n00b!
LukeRogers is on a distinguished road

Default 02-25-2019, 05:12 AM

Saw a Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb at taking rad 140 before and after a used electronics store. I have a lower end Marshall now (MG15FX) and I love the sound but I want something a little beefier and with a footswitch. I think I could get the guy down to $250. Is it worth it to pull the trigger? I have heard mixed reviews on this particular one.

Last edited by LukeRogers; 11-26-2021 at 04:12 AM..