Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Gear > Amps
Reload this Page Randall G3 with speaker problems... HELP!
Amps Amp and rig talk

Randall G3 with speaker problems... HELP!
Old
  (#1)
n00b!
trungvkvk is on a distinguished road

Default Randall G3 with speaker problems... HELP! - 07-15-2011, 07:07 PM

I have a Randall G3 75-watt amp that has a slight problem. When carrying it, I’ve noticed a clunking sound. Upon looking at it closely, I noticed that the speaker is moving around. It Is still connected, and the amp still works, but the tone doesn’t seem to be as good. Recently, when I turned the volume up past 7 at a show, the sound cuts out completely until I turn it back down. Could a loose speaker cause this change, and how should I go about solving this problem?

Old
  (#2)
n00b!
Fender_man is on a distinguished road

Default 07-15-2011, 07:35 PM

Based on what you’ve described, I would say that your tone is absolutely suffering as a result of the loose speaker...

Fortunately, the fix is simple. Speakers are mounted to cabinets with hardware such as screws, hex nuts and so on. Though these should keep speakers securely attached to the cabinet, they may become loose over time from cabinet vibration, transport, rough handling or damage. Determine how the speaker is mounted inside your amp and remount it with the appropriate hardware. If screws have become loose, tighten them. If they are stripped and won’t hold the speaker to the cabinet, you’ll have to fill the screw holes before replacing the screws. Use a wood dowel slightly smaller than the screw diameter to fill the holes, then replace the screws. They should tighten firmly in the newly filled holes.

In addition, be sure that the speaker wires are still connected and that the connections are not broken or weakened. If they are damaged, they will have to be resoldered. This is an easy job to perform, but I recommend that you let an amp repair shop do it for you. They’ll make quick work of the job and shouldn’t charge you more than about $25.

Hope this helps!

I have a big Hardon 4 Guitars!