Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Electric Guitars
Reload this Page Any Fender fans here?

Re: Any Fender fans here?
Old
  (#21)
Monster is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to Monster  
Default Re: Any Fender fans here? - 03-21-2008, 11:26 AM

nice guitars there Brian Krashpad

Old
  (#22)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Any Fender fans here? - 03-24-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster
nice guitars there Brian Krashpad
Thanks, they kind of added up over the years. Old age has some advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydmoline

i like les pauls first and foremost, then followed by SGs, then telecasters, i prefer buckers, but i do like the variety a telecaster lends, and i like the sound of gibson single coils.... not sure what makes them different than fenders, but they seem warmer to me...
For the most part, with some rare exceptins (like most Melody Makers), Gibson single coils are P-90's, which are a totally different design than Fender singles. The P-90 has a way bigger magnet and bigger magnetic field, which produces a signal with more midrange, and which distorts easier than a Fender single. P-90's are sorta midway between a Fender single and a humbucker. I love 'em!

Old
  (#23)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Any Fender fans here? - 03-25-2008, 07:09 AM

me too :-D just wish i could afford a LP with p-90s, or a LP Jr, or an SG heh

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Old
  (#24)

Default Re: Any Fender fans here? - 03-25-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
me too :-D just wish i could afford a LP with p-90s, or a LP Jr, or an SG heh
Well, even though you may not be able to afford a Gibby w/P-90's, there are lots of budget alternatives.

I have 2 such guitars, an Agile Valkyrie and a Schecter Tempest Special:

As you can see the Agile is in SG territory, and the Schecter is a modification of an LP Special Doublecut, but applied to the Tempest body shape. The Agile was $99 on closeout (they're still only around $250 new though), the Schecter was $250 used w/ohsc. There are lots of other options as well, Epi has made both bolt-on and setneck Juniors over the past few years, and the bolt-neck one was generally available new for a Benjamin. For a bit over 2 bills you can get a Squier Telecaster Custom II, which would kill both Tele GAS and P-90 GAS! I haven't played one myself but a buddy of mine liked them so much he got one in each color (black and butterscotch).

Old
  (#25)

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Any Fender fans here? - 03-26-2008, 06:43 AM

well i think that epiphones are a decent deal for the most part, the SX/agile guitars i don't fully trust, people tell me they sound as good or better than epiphones, my problem is epiphones sound EXACTLY how i want them...... i'm not sure a guitar that sounds "better" actually would sound better if that makes sense heh, for the cost of a schecter you might as well save another 50 bucks and get an epiphone, i have played schecters and they are most deffinatly not my thing, the tele's i may actually have interest in, i have had squires, and theya re decent guitars, may not be a peice of art but they play well and sound good.

Old
  (#26)

Default Re: Any Fender fans here? - 03-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
well i think that epiphones are a decent deal for the most part,
Agreed, especially on the used market.
Quote:
the SX/agile guitars i don't fully trust, people tell me they sound as good or better than epiphones, my problem is epiphones sound EXACTLY how i want them...... i'm not sure a guitar that sounds "better" actually would sound better if that makes sense
While your concern is understandable, it's not really necessary, unless you were buying used with no opportunity to play first. The Rondo Music return policy is excellent and the Rondo head guy, Kurt, is fair and honest. So if you were to get a dog they would take it back. Agiles in particular will get you the same quality as Epi, but for less money. The Agile SG I have is certainly as good as the Epi SG I used to have, and I prefer it tonally as the Epi's humbuckers were somewhat muddy.

On buying the Agile SG, I sold the Epi SG.

Quote:
heh, for the cost of a schecter you might as well save another 50 bucks and get an epiphone, i have played schecters and they are most deffinatly not my thing
Not sure about that first sentence, seems to me that Schecters and Epi's are pretty close in both price and quality level. As to not being your thing, that's of course subjective opinion which you're welcome to. But Schecter's import line is definitely composed of 2 rather different groups of guitars. I don't have much use for their "modern" type guitars which appear oriented towards the nu metal/downtuned/hardcore guys that many Ibanez solidbodies are geared for. But Schecter also makes a smaller number of "retro"-inspired models which I find interesting. They have a new model that's clearly inspired by Rickenbacker, for example.

Old
  (#27)

Default Re: Any Fender fans here? - 03-26-2008, 10:34 PM

yeah the schecter modern guitars i don't care for the shapes, it's a personal thing, haven't seen the "retro" ones, but i don't much keep my eye on them, i played with charlie's tempest, i was not impressed with it, it didn't play exceptionally well, it didn't look all that snazzy, and it didn't sound like i would have liked tone wise, quality wise i suppose it was ok, but that's just my opinion :-D, to me it sounded like a fender with buckers lol....... mid light and very bright, i prefer the epi's tones, "muddy" lol mid heavy and a little bit dull. the "woman" tone is my favorite it is what i measure all else too lol ya know, the half-cocked wha / bridge pick-up with the tone on "0" sound..... that's my test tone, if a guitar can't do that i typically don't care for it (think dire straights - money for nothing, or virtually any ZZ-Top tune)