Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Electric Guitars > Bass Guitars
Reload this Page New Bass Day!

New Bass Day!
Old
  (#1)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default New Bass Day! - 01-06-2009, 09:01 AM

Well, I went ahead and done it. Bought another pawn shop prize, a Peavey Fury bass. Should date from 1984-86, according to an online article I found about it's predecessor, the Peavey T-20 bass. Everything appears to be in good working order, not that there's much to go wrong in the first place. Just one pickup, an angled super-ferrite pickup, which apparently is the same as was on the earlier T-20. According to my T-20 source ( http://www.vintageguitar.com/feature...s.asp?AID=2470 ), the pickup is a single-coil. The pickup also has what Peavey called an "integral, mounting ring/thumb rest combination" which is unique if nothing else.

Mine is black-on-black, like my 1980 Peavey T-60 guitar. Since I know it didn't happen if there ain't pics, here are a couple, pardon the sticker gunk, still working on getting it off the bass:

Total damage?

$125 USD.

Re: New Bass Day!
Old
  (#2)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: New Bass Day! - 01-06-2009, 04:51 PM

Nice.

I just posted in the other thread. It is (pretty much) the bass version of my old T-15 six-string and that guitar was great. I like the headstock and neck on these too. How does she play?

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#3)

Default Re: New Bass Day! - 01-06-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan
Nice.

I just posted in the other thread. It is (pretty much) the bass version of my old T-15 six-string and that guitar was great. I like the headstock and neck on these too. How does she play?
So far so good. The neck is closer to a Jazz neck, not as thin, but thinner than a Precision. I need to lower the action on the thing I think, if I can without getting too much rattle. It's not bad as is, just would be a little more comfortable a bit lower.

We'll see. I do know the thing will be indestructible, that's how those old USA Peaveys were built.

Old
  (#4)
Put up or shut up!

Default Re: New Bass Day! - 01-06-2009, 05:45 PM

The only issue that I had with my T-15 was the pickguard cracked around the input jack. It's a bit weak there if you step on your cord and twist while playing standing up. It broke right at the second screw.

Old
  (#5)

Default Re: New Bass Day! - 01-06-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
The only issue that I had with my T-15 was the pickguard cracked around the input jack. It's a bit weak there if you step on your cord and twist while playing standing up. It broke right at the second screw.
Yeah that's a common problem with input jacks mounted on frontplates. Risk can be minimized by using a right-angle plug instead of a straight plug, and by looping your chord under the butt-end and the guitar strap, as well as by simply ensuring one has plenty of cord.

I always incorporate some kind of pedal, even if it's just a volume pedal that stays maxxed on the whole time, so that I have one cord between it and the amp in the backline, and another 20' or so for moving onstage or out into the audience (the cord between the guitar and the pedal). I've never had a prob running out of cord by doing that.

Old
  (#6)
Put up or shut up!

Default Re: New Bass Day! - 01-07-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
Quote:
Yeah that's a common problem with input jacks mounted on frontplates. Risk can be minimized by using a right-angle plug instead of a straight plug, and by looping your chord under the butt-end and the guitar strap, as well as by simply ensuring one has plenty of cord.

I always incorporate some kind of pedal, even if it's just a volume pedal that stays maxxed on the whole time, so that I have one cord between it and the amp in the backline, and another 20' or so for moving onstage or out into the audience (the cord between the guitar and the pedal). I've never had a prob running out of cord by doing that.
haha, yeah that's a good tip. I can understand this being a common issue with front plugs. Plus add in the fact that I was 13 and thought it was cool to jump around like Van Halen while jamin out some off-key leads.. lol