Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Guitar Technique & Exercises
Reload this Page Tip for switch tips!
Guitar Technique & Exercises Discuss music theory, writing, composition and improvising in here

Tip for switch tips!
Old
  (#1)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Tip for switch tips! - 06-05-2008, 09:37 AM

So anyhow, I recently replaced a switch tip on a Strat/Tele type 3-way switch.

In the store the clerk put the tip on the switch to show that it fit, but the guitar was lying on it's back on the counter.

When I got it home and the guitar was being played, the dang switch tip fell off because the slot in it was too large.

I tried putting little bits of paper and some glue from a glue stick in the slot, but no dice. The paper just got all punched up at the far end of the slot.

Here's how I solved the problem. I cut a little bit off a plastic straw, narrow enough to fit in the switch tip slot, but actually longer than the slot was deep.

Then I folded the straw bit in half, like a "V." I inserted the little plastic V into the switch tip slot and stuck a bit of glue-stick glue in the slot as well. Then I put the switch tip back on. The plastic V did the trick! The far end of the V went down to the bottom of the slot but didn't disintegrate like the paper had done, and the plastic on either side of the switch bar pressed against it and the outside edges of the switch tip slot to hold it tight, along with the glue.

Voila!