Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Vintage
Reload this Page Akai X-1800 SD reel to reel w/ 8 track player from the 1970s
Vintage Discuss vintage instruments in here

Akai X-1800 SD reel to reel w/ 8 track player from the 1970s
Old
  (#1)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Akai X-1800 SD reel to reel w/ 8 track player from the 1970s - 06-13-2008, 02:04 AM

Found one of these near mint with original box and packaging. Would you consider this vintage? I cannot find much info on it. It's a really nice system. It has speakers built in... just flip the aluminum doors on either side. Another neat feature is it plays 8 tracks.

It has input areas for a remote control, headphones and "REC/P.R." I also found some videos on youtube of this very same model in action. The owner is playing a recorded live radio station from 1965 'Robert W. Morgan' "Morganized" See the video [HERE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzKqW7wPMj4

I don't see myself using this machine, so I threw it up the GEAR-VAULT. (not 56k friendly)

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Re: Akai X-1800 SD reel to reel w/ 8 track player from the 1970s
Old
  (#2)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Akai X-1800 SD reel to reel w/ 8 track player from the 1970s - 06-13-2008, 11:08 AM

Wow, that's cool and definitely vintage. My Dad had a very similar Sony reel-to-reel that had speakers in the removable lid as well. People used to ask me to bring it to parties and put it outside for party music-- that way they didn't have to tear down their home stereos, plus iirc those tapes were like 3 hours long if you recorded at the slower speed. Set it and forget!

For a long time we had ours connected to our home stereo system, I used to tape stuff of the radio, like the "King Biscuit Flour Hour" concert series. Those tapes probably still exist somewhere.