Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Electric Guitars
Reload this Page what do you do to take care of your guitars??

what do you do to take care of your guitars??
Old
  (#1)
Monster is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to Monster  
Default what do you do to take care of your guitars?? - 02-27-2008, 11:25 AM

well for me i change the strings once a month weather they need it or not sometimes twice a month if i play a certian guitar allot.., keep the body clean and neck taken care of.. and oil the neck twice a year... after ever use i wipe the strings down...

Re: what do you do to take care of your guitars??
Old
  (#2)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: what do you do to take care of your guitars?? - 02-27-2008, 11:36 AM

I'm not in a gigging band... so I usually only pick one guitar to play for awhile (right now it's the Agile) and play that.

The other guitars stay nice and safe in their hardshell. I only restring when I feel (sound) like they need it. I always use Lemon Oil on the fret board for every restring. That stuff is amazing.

I clean the body of the guitar with window cleaner.. another important thing to have on hand is contact cleaner. Spray a dap on crackly pots and it works wonders as well. It can be had at lowes for like $7.

My old guitarist was teh time of guy who would lay is guitar down on the cement in the garage or basement. He didn't care it got all scratched up or kicked around. That drove me crazy (like raking your finger nails down a chalk board) and I told him how much it bugged me. lol

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#3)

Default Re: what do you do to take care of your guitars?? - 02-27-2008, 11:46 AM

yes i use lemon oil i got at lowes for my fretboard also works great.. and keeps boards looking like new.. being in Michigan weather changes so quick helps the board from cracking..

Old
  (#4)
torgeot is on a distinguished road

Default Re: what do you do to take care of your guitars?? - 03-09-2008, 10:17 AM

I play out a lot so I try to keep the strings changed, but I alternate the guitars that go to a gig and to practice, so I only change strings when I feel they are lifeless. I try to remember to wipe them down after a show but they get cleaned a day after a show generally, (get all that sweat and crap off them) Wonder Wipes by Ernie Ball are a great product too. about once a year they get waxed (gloss finished areas only)

Gibsons - Fenders - Ibanez's - EBMM's
Marshall - Peavey - Ashdown
Boss - Morley - Rocktron - Roland

Old
  (#5)

Default Re: what do you do to take care of your guitars?? - 03-14-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torgeot
I play out a lot so I try to keep the strings changed, but I alternate the guitars that go to a gig and to practice, so I only change strings when I feel they are lifeless. I try to remember to wipe them down after a show but they get cleaned a day after a show generally, (get all that sweat and crap off them) Wonder Wipes by Ernie Ball are a great product too. about once a year they get waxed (gloss finished areas only)
i always wipe my strings down after every use plus i have sweaty hands so i eat strings fast....

Old
  (#6)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: what do you do to take care of your guitars?? - 03-14-2008, 07:08 PM

were you refering to me sandman? lol i was a bass player and yeah i treat a guitar like a tool not like a trophey, the more dings it has and the more wear it shows the more character it has....... even when buying a guitar i don't look at the finish, i'd buy a used guitar that had the hell beat out of it just the same as a guitar that looked brand new, when you buy and sell for a living i suppose it matters what it looks like but i typically stick with a guitar for a good long time if i like it, when it leaves my hands it is normally completely customised, well used and loved, and probly near the end of it's useful life lol.....

as far as strings go, i'm not a firm believer in fresh strings, i like they way they sound, but i also like the way old strings sound...... i only change strings when they start to rust, or break which ever comes first, i never clean them, to me guitars are alot like life, no reason to try to stay young forever, as you grow old be proud your body is wearing out, it shows you have character, and that you haven't spent your who life worrying about what is inevitable..... same with guitars and strings..... the buckle rash, chips, dings, and rust all shows my guitars have served me well, and the long they stand up to my abuse the prouder of them i am and the more respect i have toward their maker

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Old
  (#7)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: what do you do to take care of your guitars?? - 04-02-2008, 03:47 PM

After a show I do try to wipe them down before putting 'em away. And I lemon oil rosewood boards whenever I notice they're getting dry.

But I'm bad about strings. I have way too many guitars to stay on top of that. A lot of times I just replace them as they break. But it if I have a show and have some particularly gnarly strings I may occasionally just put a whole new set on. That's pretty rare though.

I've had some bass strings that I'm sure have been on for years.

Old
  (#8)
n00b!
Servant is on a distinguished road

Default Re: what do you do to take care of your guitars?? - 04-06-2008, 10:12 PM

Clean after eash use by wiping down, chaning strings regularly, removing all metal parts and wiping with deoxit every so often. Just general stuff.! :smilez: