Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Electric Guitars
Reload this Page Guitar neck advantages/disadvantages

Guitar neck advantages/disadvantages
Old
  (#1)
characterzero is on a distinguished road

Default Guitar neck advantages/disadvantages - 04-07-2008, 06:03 PM

Well I was just wondering what the main playability/sound differences are between guitars with a bolt on neck vs. set or trough-body neck. Do you find you get more substantial sustain? I use a set neck right now that I love but I've never played a really nice guitar with a bolt on. So what are your preferences for guitar necks?

Re: Guitar neck advantages/disadvantages
Old
  (#2)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Guitar neck advantages/disadvantages - 04-08-2008, 09:08 AM

I have a batch of setnecks and a batch of bolt-on's (and one neck-through). The difference in sustain is relatively minimal. Bolt-ons can take way more abuse though, with setnecks you can't just sling 'em around or down onto a hard surface like you can with a bolt-on, or the headstock will pop right off. I've seen it happen to a really nice setneck bass during a live performance, as well as seen broken headstocks on Les Pauls after the fact, and it ain't pretty.

As far as preferences, go I don't really prefer one over the other, other than I am a bit more careful with my setnecks. For LP-style guitars, however, I'd just as soon have a setneck, and conversely with Fender-style guitars (Teles, Strats) I'd just as soon have a bolt-neck. Never really seen the point in a bolt-neck LP copy, and frankly a lot of times bolt-neck LP copies are"bottom of the barrel" in quality because (at least until very recently) setnecks took a lot more work to produce.

Re: Guitar neck advantages/disadvantages
Old
  (#3)
characterzero is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Guitar neck advantages/disadvantages - 04-08-2008, 05:54 PM

Interesting. I (sort of out of ignorance) have always thought that set necks took longer to put on, thus more work, thus nicer and better quality. I realize nowadays set necks can probably be assembled just as easily in production lines. Good point about bolt-ons being able to take more abuse. I always thought of that negatively, like bolt-ons had a higher chance of getting thrown out of alignment. But I guess its really a positive because it can always be readjusted back, whereas if you screw up a set neck the guitar is pretty much done.