Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Gear > Gear Building & Customization
Reload this Page Eminence vs Celestion Vs EV.
Gear Building & Customization Discuss amp building, making pedals and modding guitars in here.

Eminence vs Celestion Vs EV.
Old
  (#1)
V-Type is on a distinguished road

Default Eminence vs Celestion Vs EV. - 02-23-2008, 11:33 PM

Well I have a pair of 60 watt Eminence Legends that sound very much like the Celestion GT 75's I have. But I have no idea about any of the other Eminence or EV offerings out there.
I have/had Vintage 30's,GT 75's, 70/80's and Greenbacks and was wonder which models would be similar from either EV or Eminence.
I have a empty 4x12 and 2x12 in need of a new speaker pairings.
Thanks

Re: Eminence vs Celestion Vs EV.
Old
  (#2)
n00b!
Monster Factory is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Eminence vs Celestion Vs EV. - 02-25-2008, 03:25 PM

I wrote Eminence off for years as a serious rock speaker mainly due to their close Fender association. They used them in their crunchier amps, but I still never took them serious. It wasn't until I took notice that Soldano used the Legends in their SLO cabs that I began to even think much about them.

As for Celestion comparisons, which Legend? I don't know about the 60W, only the 50W (GB128), 75W (1258), 100W (V128), and 150W (1218) models. The GB128, V128, and 1218 models are British voiced. FWIW, I've used the Swamp Thang as a V30 replacement, which has a touch more bottom end response, smoother mids, and loads more power handling. I'll probably go with Weber's Ceramic 12V, though, on any future V30 type cabs unless someone specifically requests the Swamp Thang... or unless it happens to be an actual Swamp Thang cab (image is everything, right?)

If you go to my website, select any amp or X-Cab model in the Boneyard series, and click on the Speaker hyperlink, I describe all of the Weber speakers I use in those amps/cabs and I compare them to popular models, including EV and Celestion. Weber is a high end speaker and can help make even a crappy amp sound good. I mention these as a possible alternative.

Hope it helps...

Old
  (#3)
V-Type is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Eminence vs Celestion Vs EV. - 02-28-2008, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Factory
I wrote Eminence off for years as a serious rock speaker mainly due to their close Fender association. They used them in their crunchier amps, but I still never took them serious. It wasn't until I took notice that Soldano used the Legends in their SLO cabs that I began to even think much about them.

As for Celestion comparisons, which Legend? I don't know about the 60W, only the 50W (GB128), 75W (1258), 100W (V128), and 150W (1218) models. The GB128, V128, and 1218 models are British voiced. FWIW, I've used the Swamp Thang as a V30 replacement, which has a touch more bottom end response, smoother mids, and loads more power handling. I'll probably go with Weber's Ceramic 12V, though, on any future V30 type cabs unless someone specifically requests the Swamp Thang... or unless it happens to be an actual Swamp Thang cab (image is everything, right?)

If you go to my website, select any amp or X-Cab model in the Boneyard series, and click on the Speaker hyperlink, I describe all of the Weber speakers I use in those amps/cabs and I compare them to popular models, including EV and Celestion. Weber is a high end speaker and can help make even a crappy amp sound good. I mention these as a possible alternative.

Hope it helps...
Thanks for the link. Yeah the EV's seem pretty pricey and those Weber Michigans =
Celestion Neodynes look intriquing also.

Old
  (#4)
indytruckboy is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Eminence vs Celestion Vs EV. - 03-01-2008, 10:38 PM

Maybe if I hit the lottery I can buy a pair of EVs to try

Old
  (#5)
senor_penguin is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Eminence vs Celestion Vs EV. - 03-02-2008, 12:56 AM

I am going to probably get a avatar 2x12 speaker with two V30's in it when I get my marshall head

GEAR
- Epiphone Les Paul Custom
- Peavey Tracer
- Fender Fm212
- Line 6 UBER metal
- MXR Phase 90
- Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
- Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
- Boss DD-3
- Boss BF-2

Old
  (#6)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Eminence vs Celestion Vs EV. - 03-02-2008, 11:52 PM

i don't really know much about eminance, or EV speakers, all i really have experience with is vox which is a celestion blue, they are a bit more mid to trebley speakers (comaritively to the others i have used as listed), jensen not sure of the models they were in a fender princeton chorus i had a while ago, they were a bit dull? sounding to me lots of sparkle, lots of low bass (for a guitar speaker) not much in the way of mids, had a peavey black widow, and a bugera (behringer) 15" sub, and they almost sounded identical, in a blind listening test i doubt i could have heard a difference, and celestion rocket 50 which seemed more well rounded for guitar, not a boomy bass from them, but about par i suppose, mids were crisp, highs were not peircing

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Old
  (#7)
Monster is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to Monster  
Default Re: Eminence vs Celestion Vs EV. - 03-31-2008, 01:42 PM

celestion i like the best .. i think a great sounding speaker for the music i play

Old
  (#8)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Eminence vs Celestion Vs EV. - 03-31-2008, 09:15 PM

i was quite happy with the rocket 50s i just got, nice well rounded speaker, they lack that old fashioned metal "WHOOMP" from the bass though

stuff it....... then bake it.......