Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Vintage
Reload this Page is it really worth it?
Vintage Discuss vintage instruments in here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Re: is it really worth it?
Old
  (#5)
indytruckboy is on a distinguished road

Default Re: is it really worth it? - 07-19-2007, 10:07 PM

I thought he was talking about guitars? ???

And yes it does make a difference. A lot of older guitars were made different than today. For one, the were finished different. They used nitro-finish, which is thin, and allows the guitar to "breathe" much easier than the poly-finish they use today. This causes the guitar to sound SO much better. Another example is something most people overlook, but also makes a huge difference. Les Paul guitars that come out of the factory today have a different wiring scheme that there 50s predecessors. Off the top of my head I can't remember how they do it. But it makes the controls more viable and opens a plethora of sounds. The electronics also used old paper-oil caps as opposed to the plastic 'chicklets' they use today.

But I am rambling now.........

.......Bottom line is; Is the old stuff better? Yup. But they make some pretty nice stuff now, too. Would I dish out $250k for a 58 LP? Nope. Maybe, maybe, maybe if I was a millionaire. But I doubt it.