Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Gear > Amps
Reload this Page Best amp you've ever owned.
Amps Amp and rig talk

Best amp you've ever owned.
Old
  (#1)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default Best amp you've ever owned. - 06-21-2008, 09:33 PM

OK, we had the worst amp thread, now for the best amp you've ever owned thread. I'd have to say the best amp I ever owned was a Mesa .50 Caliber combo, with the 12" extension cab. I loved that amp. I traded it for a KX250 dirtbike, bad mistake. I broke my collarbone the first day on the bike.

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Re: Best amp you've ever owned.
Old
  (#2)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Best amp you've ever owned. - 06-22-2008, 08:58 AM

1966 Fender Super Reverb, modded into a 2x10 combo w/2x10 extension cab. My main guitar rig during the 90's. Still have her. Really needs a new grill cloth though.

Old
  (#3)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Best amp you've ever owned. - 06-22-2008, 09:53 AM

I had lots of favorite amps. Seems like I go through phases where I prefer one over the other. Though this might sound odd, I really enjoyed the Peavey XXX after doing a few simple swaps and matching it up with the right cabinet/speakers.

Another amp that I really like was the Mesa Boogie F-50 and F-100 series.

Right now I'm currently playing through a Mesa Boogie Road King. It's a lot of amp. It's loaded with four 6L6 and two EL34s (+ the 5UG4 rectifier tubes). You can run the amp at 50-watt or 100-watts. You can choose your power tube combination. For example, you can run any combination, whether it be two 6L6 and two EL34s, or just two EL34s, or two 6L6, or all of them 6L6 + EL34s. Amp has independent reverb for each channel, it has a triode switch... you can run in stereo or mono. The damn thing is... overwhelming. But nice.

With that said, I really like the dark and grainy.. crunchy Peavey XXX

I never owned a Fender.. I think that's an amp that I'd fall in love with. I played a combo at a music store in Denver Colorado about 8-years ago, I really thought it sounded amazing. I just don't remember what model it was... I'm thinking it was a Hot Rod, but I'm not sure.

I had a 1984 Marshall JCM800 (100-watts), That amp was really neat. I didn't get to play around with it as long as I'd like to have. It needed to be boosted and you had to play it loud to drive the tubes.

Lastly, the Laney GH-50L...ah...now that is a tone machine. I love playing lead guitar on that. It was sooo... fluidy / silky. Some compare it to a JCM800 on steriods. I think this could be true. However, it was switchable to 6L6's which is another feature that I really liked about it. If you get a laney GH-50L (Toni Iommi uses these) be sure to get a noise gate. They're noisy amps.

Long post with a lot of rambling (too much coffee today)- To sum it up, my pick goes to the Peavey XXX.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#4)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Best amp you've ever owned. - 06-23-2008, 12:28 AM

best amp i have owned so far is the JCM2000 DSL401.

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Old
  (#5)
MatrixClaw is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to MatrixClaw Send a message via Yahoo to MatrixClaw  
Default Re: Best amp you've ever owned. - 06-24-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan
I had lots of favorite amps. Seems like I go through phases where I prefer one over the other.
I'm with you there, I LOVED my 5150 when I first got it but after a few months of playing it got extremely bored with it and now I can't stand their sound.

Same with my Mark IV, loved it at first, still think it's a great amp, but ever since I've played a 5150 III and actually sat down and used it for an hour or so, it's spoiled me and I need a new amp!

Randall RM4/Mesa 2:90
Ampeg VH-140C
Duncan Convertible

[COLOR=Gray]Marshall 1960
Genz Benz G-Flex
Lopo 2x12

Ibanez RG3120 Prestige
Jackson RR5
Edwards E-LP-92SD
Aria Nexter

[URL=http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MatrixClaw/blog/23970/][SIZE=5]Mesa/Boogie Price

Old
  (#6)

Default Re: Best amp you've ever owned. - 06-24-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydmoline
best amp i have owned so far is the JCM2000 DSL401.
The 2000 is really nice. The other guitarist in Crash Pad, back in the day, had one. Unfortunately he did not know how to get a good tone out of it. Which is crazy; he left it at my house once and I had it dialed in in 20 minutes.

He was a "pedal guy," but with the 2000 you really don't need 'em-- at least not for distortion/OD.

Old
  (#7)

Default Re: Best amp you've ever owned. - 06-24-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan
I had lots of favorite amps. Seems like I go through phases where I prefer one over the other.
I'm with you there, I LOVED my 5150 when I first got it but after a few months of playing it got extremely bored with it and now I can't stand their sound.

Same with my Mark IV, loved it at first, still think it's a great amp, but ever since I've played a 5150 III and actually sat down and used it for an hour or so, it's spoiled me and I need a new amp!
Haha, welcome MatrixClaw!

I've got to the point where I acquire new ones, but I can live with them being equals or almost such. I've got 3 tube amps and all can do me just fine for live shows.

Old
  (#8)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Best amp you've ever owned. - 06-24-2008, 11:45 PM

yeah i played the JCM200 DSL 50 in a musiclab store in chicago, i loved that amp, one of the better marshalls i have played, though the DSL401 sound similar they aren't the same, the DSL401s are a bit "thicker" IMO not bassier, just not quite as thin sounding as the DSL 50s and 100s are. most marshalls take to pedals pretty well, but an distortion pedal on a marshall is kind of a waste of a marshall lol, you can get better overdrive tones from the amp itself than any pedal is going to give you on the clean channel, overdriving the dirty channel is a different thing, but sticking a RAT, or DS-1 or what have you on the clean channel is sacrilegious...... some day I'll have me a DSL50 and a 4X12..... I'll also have a JCM800, and JMP lol, might have a 8 foot shlong too........ LMAO

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Old
  (#9)

Default Re: Best amp you've ever owned. - 06-25-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydmoline
...... some day I'll have me a DSL50 and a 4X12..... I'll also have a JCM800, and JMP lol, might have a 8 foot shlong too........ LMAO
Make sure you post pics of the amps... but not the schlong.

Thanks !

Old
  (#10)
Juggernaut is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Best amp you've ever owned. - 06-26-2008, 10:41 AM

Gutierrez Juggernaut Copperhead
Titan 200
Randall RM50
Randall, VHT, Sonic cabs
HBE pedals