Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Vintage
Reload this Page My Vintage Guitars
Vintage Discuss vintage instruments in here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
My Vintage Guitars
Old
  (#1)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default My Vintage Guitars - 06-05-2008, 11:09 AM

Since I think I've run through my vintage amps, now I'll do a thread on my "vintage" guitars. As with that other thread, however, I'll use a very loose definition of "vintage," as per our discussion in the "What is Vintage?" thread.

At any rate, I'll go though the lot roughly in the order I acquired them, when I can remember that. I may even include some ones I used to have but no longer have. As with my amps, don't expect a ton of "collectable" or expensive guitars. Mine isn't so much a "collection" in that sense, as it is just a batch of guitars that'd be classified by serious collectors as "players," that I've ended up with over the years.

The first entry is the guitar I've had the longest, and is also my oldest guitar. It's also the only one I coudln't really gig with in its present state, as it needs some fretwork and other repairs. This one, unlike the others would fit even a narrow definition of "vintage."

This guitar is a 1960 Fender Duo-Sonic. I got it in the late 70's sometime, iirc I paid $67.50 for it (I still have the receipt from Beaches Music in Jacksonville Beach, Florida, somewhere). Some idiot had repainted it, apparently using a brush and house paint! My dad stripped the guitar for me, now it's just the bare wood with some lemon oil:

The pickups are low output Fender single coils. The neck is short-scale, as Fender sold this as a "student" guitar. This was my first "real" electric guitar. I previously had owned a terrible Sears-type no-name electric that later got painted in a checkerboard pattern and was used as a wall hanging in my house in law school.

Questions, comments, and further discussion are encouraged!