Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Guitars > Electric Guitars
Reload this Page Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's?

Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's?
Old
  (#21)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-05-2008, 12:56 AM

yeah i'm not really a big fan of EMG myself, but the selects have 1 positive thing going for them...... 20 dollar humbucker (select)

i now have experience with seymour duncan, and dimarzio pups

seymour duncan i can say are not as bad as i first thought, it was just the one pick-up i didn't care for.

and dimarzio make a killer humbucker, but their single coils really lack something

my list:
1. Gibson
2. DiMarzio
3. Golden Age
4. Seymour Duncan
5. Epiphone

stuff it....... then bake it.......

Old
  (#22)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-05-2008, 07:14 AM

EMG's
I use Rockfields, the Fat Ass is an awesome p'up!!!

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Old
  (#23)

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-05-2008, 05:55 PM

aren't rockfield what BC Rich used a few years ago in the post class-axe era, before bernie took it back over and started using in-house pick-ups?

Old
  (#24)
ninja636 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-05-2008, 06:40 PM

http://rockfieldpickups.com/

Actually, they still use them now in some of their "high end" guitars. The SWC's are awesome as well, the esp/ltd EC500 that was stolen from me had these in it. I ripped out the emg's the first day.

Always scoop the mids!!
If it ain't METAL...it AIN'T music.

Old
  (#25)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-05-2008, 09:04 PM

I guess I should add I now have a pair of GFS (GuitarFetish) P-90 pickups in a highly-modded Bullet Strat as well.

They sound fine to me. Then again, I think humbuckers tend to have the greatest chance for getting a cruddy pickup, compared to P-90's and other singles. I have 4 sets of P-90's spanning the range of available pickups (in what would generally be considered descending order: Seymour Duncan, arguable tie for second at Duncan Designed/GFS, ending with ceramic-magnet no-name stock pickups in my Agile SG knockoff), and they all sound good.

Apparently, it's really difficult to f*ck up a P-90.

Old
  (#26)

Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-06-2008, 02:11 AM

nice on the rockfields, my BCR had dimarzios.... which is now in the neck spot on my les paul, the duncan designed had to go, the irony of it is, the ducan designed pup was a HB103N e.g. the SH-6 knock off..... and the impedance is LOWER than the stock epiphone pup, the epi is ironicly higher than the the dimarzio even. the dimarzio is clean and crisp i dig it, i am thining of grabbing up a PAF classic or a FRED now, they are realatively cheap now with everyone lushing over the seymour duncans

i now have that duncan designed HB103N, if anyone is looking for one, i'd gladly trade it for almost anything LOL

>>Apparently, it's really difficult to f*ck up a P-90.<<

bet ya i could lol, so you like those GFS P-90s then? i am going to be aquiring a epi SG special here shortly, and i was toying with the idea of sticking a pair of P-90s on it so i had a single coil guitar..... i'd rather have a squire telecaster lol but alas no one ever gets rid of those for cheap..... i find i like single coils for clean stuff, they have a more lively tone, where as can't beat a bucker for distortion, they really do lack depth clean, but i suppose if you like warm clean tones they do alright

Old
  (#27)

Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-06-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydmoline
>>Apparently, it's really difficult to f*ck up a P-90.<<

bet ya i could lol, so you like those GFS P-90s then? i am going to be aquiring a epi SG special here shortly, and i was toying with the idea of sticking a pair of P-90s on it so i had a single coil guitar..... i'd rather have a squire telecaster lol but alas no one ever gets rid of those for cheap..... i find i like single coils for clean stuff, they have a more lively tone, where as can't beat a bucker for distortion, they really do lack depth clean, but i suppose if you like warm clean tones they do alright
Yeah, I have yet to be able to play the P-90 Strat with a band, which for me is the true test, but I like the GFS P-90's fine. I believe their HB-size P-90 is called the "Mean 90." People over at H-C seem to like it.

Old
  (#28)

Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-06-2008, 12:07 PM

yeah it's too bad because i like the look of a regular P-90 on an SG, not sure if the routing is as wide (bridge to neck) as a bucker, i believe they are longer (side to side), to try to re-rout the guitar to accept regular P-90s, though once you route for a P-90 you have a big ole hole in the guitar lol

Old
  (#29)

Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-06-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydmoline
yeah it's too bad because i like the look of a regular P-90 on an SG, not sure if the routing is as wide (bridge to neck) as a bucker, i believe they are longer (side to side), to try to re-rout the guitar to accept regular P-90s, though once you route for a P-90 you have a big ole hole in the guitar lol
Yes, I'm pretty sure a HB is wider than a P-90, but not as long, so it is necessary to rout to put regular-size P-90's in a humbucker slot. However, if you have a "large guard" SG that shouldn't be a big deal since the area immediately surrounding either type pup will be covered by a pickguard.

Old
  (#30)

Default Re: Pickup's-So many good ones out there. Whats in your Axe's? - 06-06-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster
the DD in my Dk2 sound awesome and sound nice... but as v-type said they are hit or miss..
I've seen this about the DD HB's. Opinions all over the place, it may just be that they're inconsistent. Oddly, the DD P-90's seem to get consistently good reviews, those are the ones in my Schecter Tempest Special and the Squier Tele Custom II.