Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Gear > Amps
Reload this Page Brown Sound
Amps Amp and rig talk

Brown Sound
Old
  (#1)
n00b!
shredrick is on a distinguished road

Default Brown Sound - 07-28-2008, 10:48 PM

Hey guys what's up was messing around with a couple of my amps trying to copy the infamous brown sound ok
the lee jackson ampeg couldn't pull it off just way too harsh running through a 2x12 green back celestion 30 watts each
but got close with this crate V-3112 I noticed that it was getting closer to the sound when I turned the gain down to 8 and hit the presence button and the volume was on 5 any louder and it was killing my ears. The vox ad50vt also got really close also on the botique with the gain all the way up and the bass on 4 the mid and treble on 7. Anyway would like to know if you have any experience with this sound and could you please expound on it thanks guys

B-52 AT-112
Digitech hardwire delay
Spider Jam 112
Wampler Pinnacle
Peavey Triple xxx
Behringer V-verb

Re: Brown Sound
Old
  (#2)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Brown Sound - 07-29-2008, 01:24 PM

Nice thread bro. The brown sound is great.. I actually got some very nice results from the Mesa Boogie F-50. If I remember correctly, I cranked the master volume to 10 and used the channel volume to adjust the volume. This drives the tubes to the limit.

Also the Laney GH50L did great!

I'm surprised the Vox and Ampeg doesn't nail it. Maybe run hotter tubes in the amp.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Old
  (#3)
n00b!
shredrick is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Brown Sound - 07-29-2008, 09:17 PM

Hey how are ya ok the ampeg was just way to brittle and harsh but it has those 6550 power tubes, but curious do you know how to make one of the vox hybrids do the brown thing. And which laney is a GH50 is that an older or newer model, lol dreamed about laney's last night all night and I have never owned one yet too funny. Anyway let me know thanks

B-52 AT-112
Digitech hardwire delay
Spider Jam 112
Wampler Pinnacle
Peavey Triple xxx
Behringer V-verb

Old
  (#4)
n00b!
tidwop is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Brown Sound - 08-02-2008, 03:35 PM

the original round brown sound, peavey 6505. but it depends how much gain you want and what genres of music are you playing? im personally getting a peavey 6505+ cause i love the tone and brootalness of it. most of the mesa series well the new ones wont get a very good brown sound cause of how there made, i don't know how to explain it but its not going to achieve the brown sound.