Forum Register FAQ Members Calendar New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Massive Selection of Guitars Online Guitar Center Guitar at Music123 New Day, New Deal at American Musical Supply
Go Back   Gear-Monkey Guitar Community > Gear > Amps
Reload this Page NSCD! (New Speaker Cabinet Day!)
Amps Amp and rig talk

NSCD! (New Speaker Cabinet Day!)
Old
  (#1)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default NSCD! (New Speaker Cabinet Day!) - 01-09-2009, 01:14 PM

Well, my daughter is learning bass, so I figured I'd find her some cheapie rig to practice through, so she could actually hear herself. Craigslist came through with an old Peavey PA cab that's been reloaded with 2 Carvin bass 10-inch speakers (anyone have any experience with Carvin 10" bass speakers?). Seller's photo:

Found a pic on the net of what it looks like with the grille on:

Here's a pic of the same type cab upright, with the grille on and off:

For the time being I'll let her use my spare bass head, an old 70's Woodson. It's waaaaay more power than she needs (250 W ss), but I don't have anything with less that I'm not using for bands. There's another Craigslist deal for an old solid state PA head (don't know its power output yet) for $50 that I might get so she has a "dedicated rig" she can keep without (too much) fear of me raiding for shows or whatnot.

Then again, I'm considering experimenting with combining that 2x10 with my 1x15 as a live rig, so it's possible I could get some use out of it too. Does anybody here run a 1x15 + 2x10 bass rig? At any rate, if her brother comes along with guitar, he can also use it, so it'll be good to have the 2x10 around Casa Krashpad for multiple uses.

Oh, and the 2x10 was a whopping $50.

Re: NSCD! (New Speaker Cabinet Day!)
Old
  (#2)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: NSCD! (New Speaker Cabinet Day!) - 01-09-2009, 11:03 PM

IF you were close (and didn't have to ship this thing) I'd let you have my Behringer cab with a Peavey 15" scorpion for $50. It's a lug to ship, which is why I have not sold it. Thinking about using it as a sub cab. lol

I'm sure she's having fun with that 250 watt head though, How are your neighbors doing? They complain about their antique China vibrating out of their china cabinet yet?

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews

Re: NSCD! (New Speaker Cabinet Day!)
Old
  (#3)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: NSCD! (New Speaker Cabinet Day!) - 01-10-2009, 07:22 AM

I like this cab because it's so compact. I have a 1x15 I could've lent her, but with this 2x10 the floor footprint is much smaller, and the cab and head together are still smaller than the 1x15 cab alone.

Since she'll probably play along with her small stereo, noise shouldn't be a problem. Unless of course she figures out that she can run the stereo's headphone line into the bass amp too.

If THAT happens we're all toast.